What do you think of the new iPod shuffle?

I asked a coworker who’s an ipod guy (well not exclusively he just got something for audiobooks, ipods don’t work well with netlibrary [shocking I know]).  So anyway he said for $80 he would just as soon pay a bit more and get a Nano.  I don’t blame him.

I do like the song info idea since I do look at my Fuze sometimes when it plays those random songs I haven’t heard forever.  But it’s not a deal breaker for me.

But I still wouldn’t get it.  Get a SlotMusic if you’re looking at this thing.  That is much better priced $20), interchangeable cards for even MORE music, and better company (SanDisk).

The iPod nation loser clones now need their players to “talk” to them? How long before Apple completes the circle and co-brands an Ipod with the adult novelty industry…?

…Adding, 8gb Clip for $49. Bwwwaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Yeah, but you pay so much more for the things from apple, because they say “Apple” on them (or have a picture of an apple :smiley:)

I like “Apple” in pie; NOT with computer or audio gear!!!:smileyvery-happy:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I’m with you on apple pie…and I haven’t tried an Apple computer since about 1985, so I know nothing about the new ones…but I don’t need no steenking iPod:wink:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 03-12-2009 11:47 AM

(Replace $x with your item, and $y with someone else’s item. It doesn’t matter what they are, as long as they’re somewhat similar)

My $x is so much better than your $y.  Your $y is completely lame, and I would never buy it.

(extra line for the most popular item): Only sheep who can’t think for themselves buy $y.

@marvin_martian wrote:
CNET’s 404 podcast described it as looking like a suppository

You gotta carry it somewhere…

As to the talking, already an option on Rockbox.  

@marvin_martian wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I’m with you on apple pie…and I haven’t tried an Apple computer since about 1985, so I know nothing about the new ones…but I don’t need no steenking iPod:wink:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 03-12-2009 11:47 AM

Not a big Pie Fan(Although my Gamndma makes a Killer German Dutch Apple Pie) But I am forced to use Apple computers at school and will be when I get in to the design industry. They arent bad, but Im Still A PC And I hate MAC

@deadcereal wrote:
Yeah, but you pay so much more for the things from apple, because they say “Apple” on them (or have a picture of an apple :smiley:)

You know what makes me laugh…   I’ve noticed on some Apple products (don’t remember which, or if they all say it) that it says something like: “Designed by Apple in California.  Assembled in China.”

Yes Apple, we all know it was made in China but designed in the US.  I’m glad you feel the need to put that there.

Your product was made in China like everything else!  But wait!  It’s okay, it was designed in California.   

Message Edited by Corilof on 03-12-2009 02:01 PM

@corilof wrote:

Your product was made in China like everything else!  But wait!  It’s okay, it was designed in California.   

So, it wasn’t made or designed in the US…:smileyvery-happy:

“And the sleek, durable, anodized aluminum case — available in silver or black — makes iPod shuffle a wardrobe essential.”

So I guess you could wear the Shuffle at parties as an expensive trinket, and have the Fuze stuffed in your pocket for when you actually want to listen to a decent MP3 player.

@njd wrote:

“And the sleek, durable, anodized aluminum case — available in silver or black — makes iPod shuffle a wardrobe essential.”

So I guess you could wear the Shuffle at parties as an expensive trinket, and have the Fuze stuffed in your pocket for when you actually want to listen to a decent MP3 player.

You know, it’s all about the “bling” these days! :smileyvery-happy:

Fashion accessory?  I have a promotional photo of the e280 being worn by a woman in a low-cut black dress.  The Sansa is, shall we say, well framed in the photo.  The lanyard must have been pulled back for proper “dangleage”, as the device is in necklace mode.

My wife likes the photo, it’s well done.  She wonders which part of the photo has more of my attention, as I tried to see if it was a v1 or v2 device.  The scroll wheel is lit, making the determination difficult.

Now that’s a proper fashion accessory.  Audio device first, fashion comes second.  I mentioned to my wife that metal back and lithium battery are kept at optimum temperature when used in this configuration.

The wee Shuffle is already disassembled on the Internet, interesting layout.  Man, the things you can do with bladder type LiPo batteries!  Okay, the novelty has worn off.  The device “can be used without the dedicated headset”, according to one story, “but you have to use the device without volume control.”

Let me add a few things together.  Fashion seems a priority, and doing without the volume control?  Isn’t the sound the reason you have an electronic device clipped to your shirt?  I just officially spilled my coffee on this one! 

Rumor has it that somebody is going to actually play music with it… pretty soon.

See what SanDisk did?  Hit the market with the amazing wee Clip , knocked that one out of the ballpark, and all the competition can do with it is play with the form factor.  Nobody thought that such sound, and as we’ve seen, such capabilities, would be possible in the little Sansa.

When I first played with it, I ran straight for the big headphones, and have been quite happy listening to the music, using different phones, big ones at home, and IEMs on the fly.  I rotate between all of the Sansas in my “squadron” of devices.

The biggest problem?  I have music everywhere!  OGG, FLAC, mp3, WMA, audiobooks, podcasts, videos… good times!

I have a voracious appetite (actually, the Sansas do) for µSD cards now.  Gotta feed the Monsta!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

The new Shuffle has battery life listed as up to 10 hours. The previous Shuffle had battery life listed as up to 12 hours. Is this the start of a trend of decreasing battery life as the player continues to shrink? One positive factor though for the past two Shuffle models is the metal case. It would be nice if Sandisk also made a premium model of the Clip in metal. Think of the Swatch watches. The original models were just plastic, then they started making models with metal cases as well. The Swatch watches have an easily replaceable battery though.

@jk98 wrote:
The new Shuffle has battery life listed as up to 10 hours. The previous Shuffle had battery life listed as up to 12 hours. Is this the start of a trend of decreasing battery life as the player continues to shrink? One positive factor though for the past two Shuffle models is the metal case. It would be nice if Sandisk also made a premium model of the Clip in metal. Think of the Swatch watches. The original models were just plastic, then they started making models with metal cases as well. The Swatch watches have an easily replaceable battery though.

You are correct about the metal case. The main body of the player is aluminum, and the clip part is stainless steel…I’m guessing that clip won’t break in normal use…mine hasn’t, but it is slightly cracked, and other owners of Clips have had theirs break.

Okay, I have a real treat for you, from Engadget.

I am not going to say anything, but I am going to need a little oxygen.  I am recovering from the floor, after watching the video of a demonstration of the cool, “simple” new inline control.  Simple?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Before I check your link, I have another to share… http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/03/14/we-found-the-chip-in.html

@neutron_bob wrote:

Okay, I have a real treat for you, from Engadget.

I am not going to say anything, but I am going to need a little oxygen.  I am recovering from the floor, after watching the video of a demonstration of the cool, “simple” new inline control.  Simple?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

My thoughts might not make it past the censors so I’ll keep them to myself

My fuze is cheaper. AND IT HAS A SCREEN! I absoulutely hate apple.

I’m surprised you started this thread in the fuze section.  The clip is a better comparison. Oh wait, twice the storage for the same price, screen, radio, recorder. Controls ON the player! On second thought, no contest there either.  

What on earth were they thinking putting the volume control on the cord where it dangles next to your face?  Sheesh.