Weird issue or bug and a question

Mine does the exact same thing, started happening after I applied the last update.  Before the update never had this problem.

I’ve never had this problem, but I’ve read somewhere in this forum that if you pause the video and return to the home screen before switching the fuze off, there should be no problem when you switch back on. You will be able to resume the video from where you stopped it.

It’s certainly a firmware bug, not your particular Fuze. I purchased a 4 GB Fuze last month and had *exactly* what you describe happen (wasn’t sure what triggered it at the time though, just that the end results are as you described). Like you, I had to hard reset the Fuze since it locked up, then remove the offending video file by syncing it with my PC, otherwise it would constantly try and play the video as an audio file and freeze up. This was is a minor inconvience if you happen to be in front of your PC at home, but what if you’re on a long bus/train ride? It essentially renders your Fuze useless until you get it to your PC (and since it doesn’t use a standard USB cable, you’d better hope you have your cable with you to fix the problem outside your home).

I ran into all sorts of minor glitches and bug, but the one that you described was what made me finally decide to return it to the store for a refund. I do really like the Fuze, but I figure I’ll wait until a few months before trying one again…hopefully the firmware will be fixed and prices will come down too. :slight_smile: I hope they add a option to remove album art from the main audio playback screen–I HATE that there’s this big generic icon of nothing sitting there (as 99% of my songs have no images), wasting space that could be used for text information rather than scrolling it.

Thanks for all the replies. Just as I suspected. Has anybody else reported this to Sansa directly as a bug, Like I said I have a help ticket open and they said they would e-mail me and have not yet. I will call then again and see if they can updat me on a status. I don’t think this bug wil make me return my Fuze, but I just have to remember to get out of the video I am playing before I shut it down. Like I said hopefully they will fix this in the next Firmware update. This is the only bug I noticed, but there are maybe others that are in the works of being fixed. Again, the lady at support I spoke with over seas did not know anything about this issue. Like I said I will call and follow up and post here on that issue. If anybody has spoken to support on this or kknows if actualy Sansa is aware and has plans to fix this, let me know.

Again, Thanks for the confirmations, and suggestions and replies. Sorry to Apple2gs for having that many issues that he evntually returned the player. My thing is as long as Sansa is aware and they plan to fix it, I have no issues. Hopefully they are aware and they plan to fix it. Maybe somebody who knows can post on this?

Yes, this is a known bug with the latest firmware.  The solution is simple: when turning off the Fuze during video playback, press the Home key, which will bring you to the main menu, then you can turn off your Fuze.

µsansa 

Message Edited by microsansa on 06-26-2009 12:32 AM

Thanks. It just wasn’t listed as a bug in the official bug report. microsansa any plans to fix this in the next firmware update, and if so, when will that be?

Thanks

Message Edited by graak on 06-22-2009 06:22 PM

I had this exact issue today, my first with my brand new Fuze - including having it happen on a long commuter ride.  Extremely frustrating and it does not encourage confidence in the programming by SanDisk (the SMC is also a bit weird but that may just because of some sort of outdated compiler or something).

I love the look and feel, and advertised features of this hardware.  Meanwhile, I think I will try reverting to an earlier version of firmware.   The thing that keeps me going is I know even the Iphone had bugs initially.   But hey, this is a year out for the Fuze. Heard of software QA Sandisk?

Dell

@dellanderson wrote:

I had this exact issue today, my first with my brand new Fuze - including having it happen on a long commuter ride.  Extremely frustrating and it does not encourage confidence in the programming by SanDisk . . .

. . . But hey, this is a year out for the Fuze. Heard of software QA Sandisk?

Dell

Hey Dell -

Ever hear of Windows? How many decades has it been out now? And how many versions? And each one still has bugs! I get updates from MicroSoft all the time.

Maybe you feel with your expertise that you could do a better job? Then let me suggest you go here:

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/Careers/Opportunities.aspx

Let us know when you’ve got all bugs, glitches & issues resolved and the Fuze is perfect, will 'ya?

I’ll check back in a few years to see how you’re doin’. :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

I had this exact issue today, my first with my brand new Fuze - including having it happen on a long commuter ride.  Extremely frustrating and it does not encourage confidence in the programming by SanDisk . . .

Dell

Hey Dell -

Ever hear of Windows? How many decades has it been out now? And how many versions? And each one still has bugs! I get updates from MicroSoft all the time.

Maybe you feel with your expertise that you could do a better job? Then let me suggest you go here:

Let us know when you’ve got all bugs, glitches & issues resolved and the Fuze is perfect, will 'ya?

Well done sir!

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

Dell

Hey Dell -

Well done sir!

To the aptly named but pseudonymous Tapeworm and Martians:

I will have to assume that you do not work for Sansa given your ■■■■■-slapping of an otherwise satisfied customer simply for commenting on the louzy QA of the latest firmware update, and also because it is my understanding that Sansa did not develop the SMC but copied it.  In which case, I don’t understand your hostility and would ask for an apology if I actually cared.

But since you raised the point of Windows, yes, I have heard of windows and it is an extremely stable OS with which I am quite familiar, and I have never had a problem where it locked up to the point where I was required to use another OS (say Mac or Linux) to unlock it, as was required with my Sansa Fuze.  

Furthermore, the Sansa Fuze lockup problem appears to have been the result of the Fuze trying to read a video file (loaded by use of SMC) and playing it as an audio MP3 file.   That kind of wacky behavior should have been discovered by the first dozen test case users, which is why I suggested a QA team for Sansa (or are paying users your QA team?).

I hope this clarifies the issue a bit for you guys.   Oh, and why not publish the precise specs of the video codec so media compressors other than SMC can be used to create the video (say Quicktime Pro or some other reasonable video compression software?).  I bought the Fuze on the FALSE advertising on the package that it plays Mpeg 4 which I stupidly assumed would including the excellent h.264 codec.    

Nuff said!

Dell

@dellanderson wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

Dell

Hey Dell -

Well done sir!

I will have to assume that you do not work for Sansa given your ■■■■■-slapping of an otherwise satisfied customer simply for commenting on the louzy QA of the latest firmware update, and also because it is my understanding that Sansa did not develop the SMC but copied it.  In which case, I don’t understand your hostility and would ask for an apology if I actually cared.

But since you raised the point of Windows, yes, I have heard of windows and it is an extremely stable OS with which I am quite familiar, and I have never had a problem where it locked up to the point where I was required to use another OS (say Mac or Linux) to unlock it, as was required with my Sansa Fuze.  

Furthermore, the Sansa Fuze lockup problem appears to have been the result of the Fuze trying to read a video file (loaded by use of SMC) and playing it as an audio MP3 file.   That kind of wacky behavior should have been discovered by the first dozen test case users, which is why I suggested a QA team for Sansa (or are paying users your QA team?).

I hope this clarifies the issue a bit for you guys.   Oh, and why not publish the precise specs of the video codec so media compressors other than SMC can be used to create the video (say Quicktime Pro or some other reasonable video compression software?).  I bought the Fuze on the FALSE advertising on the package that it plays Mpeg 4 which I stupidly assumed would including the excellent h.264 codec.    

Nuff said!

Dell

I’m guessing that Tapeworm took offense to the somewhat snide(even slightly “hostile”, to use your term) nature of your post, especially given that a workaround was listed 2 posts prior to yours. But I thought it was rather charitable of him to offer a link for you to volunteer your expertise in fixing the issue…he really is a jolly good bloke. Then again, perhaps a little research beforehand could have saved you a lot of grief. Have a wonderful day sir!  :smileyvery-happy:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

Dell

Hey Dell -

Well done sir!

Nuff said!

Dell

I’m guessing that Tapeworm took offense to the somewhat snide(even slightly “hostile”, to use your term) nature of your post, especially given that a workaround was listed 2 posts prior to yours. But I thought it was rather charitable of him to offer a link for you to volunteer your expertise in fixing the issue…he really is a jolly good bloke. Then again, perhaps a little research beforehand could have saved you a lot of grief. Have a wonderful day sir!  :smileyvery-happy:

Ah, Martian -

Exactly!   Thanks for the reply.   Yes, I am not going to pretend that I was happy with this apparently well-known bug.   I suppose my ‘snide’ response (to use your perhaps charitable term)  was late-night residual frustration due to that day’s en-route lockup of the Sansa Fuze which became completely unresponsive to a hard reset (yes, I had done a little late night reading prior to trying to use it on the commuter train and figured that worse-come-to-worse at least I would be able to reset things.   Oh, how silly of me!)  I researched the Fuze well into the night both before the infamous lockup and afterwards (not sure what time the original post was, but I don’t think it was a usual time for being awake in California).    We can blame some of my response to fatigue and frustration.   But that said…

I am a recovering geek.  I have lost way too much sleep sorting out work arounds and fixes for software glitches.    I’m not sure many of SanDisk’s customers are as persistent & tech savvy as I.  I hate Microsoft products and run Ubuntu Linux side by side with XP pro.   I’d love to like the Fuze, but it is issues like this that make me feel betrayed by software developers (and yes, I do code a little, but I do not plan to take Tapeworm up on his job offer as I have no special knowledge of firmware engineering and refuse to pretend to know something I don’t - an attribute that I trust you share but apparently is not that common in computer software development.   It’s the last 10% that takes 90% of the effort.

On  a practical note:   I’m only a week out from purchase, have all accessories, packaging, and receipts and am ‘this close’ to returning the Fuze to exchange for an Ipod (Money is not the issue, Open Source and freedom from lock-in from proprietary standards is my primary goal).   I don’t have a good feel for what SanDisk plans to do down the line:  

***Is there any good reason to keep the Fuze based on reasonable probability that it will someday allow playback of video not created by SMC (ie. generic MPEG-4) or that it will be more stable?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Dell  :smileyvery-happy:

@dellanderson wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

Dell

Hey Dell -

Well done sir!

Nuff said!

Dell

Ah, Martian -

Exactly!   Thanks for the reply.   Yes, I am not going to pretend that I was happy with this apparently well-known bug.   I suppose my ‘snide’ response (to use your perhaps charitable term)  was late-night residual frustration due to that day’s en-route lockup of the Sansa Fuze which became completely unresponsive to a hard reset (yes, I had done a little late night reading prior to trying to use it on the commuter train and figured that worse-come-to-worse at least I would be able to reset things.   Oh, how silly of me!)  I researched the Fuze well into the night both before the infamous lockup and afterwards (not sure what time the original post was, but I don’t think it was a usual time for being awake in California).    We can blame some of my response to fatigue and frustration.   But that said…

I am a recovering geek.  I have lost way too much sleep sorting out work arounds and fixes for software glitches.    I’m not sure many of SanDisk’s customers are as persistent & tech savvy as I.  I hate Microsoft products and run Ubuntu Linux side by side with XP pro.   I’d love to like the Fuze, but it is issues like this that make me feel betrayed by software developers (and yes, I do code a little, but I do not plan to take Tapeworm up on his job offer as I have no special knowledge of firmware engineering and refuse to pretend to know something I don’t - an attribute that I trust you share but apparently is not that common in computer software development.   It’s the last 10% that takes 90% of the effort.

On  a practical note:   I’m only a week out from purchase, have all accessories, packaging, and receipts and am ‘this close’ to returning the Fuze to exchange for an Ipod (Money is not the issue, Open Source and freedom from lock-in from proprietary standards is my primary goal).   I don’t have a good feel for what SanDisk plans to do down the line:  

***Is there any good reason to keep the Fuze based on reasonable probability that it will someday allow playback of video not created by SMC (ie. generic MPEG-4) or that it will be more stable?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Dell  :smileyvery-happy:

To be honest, I have no idea about the Fuze video future. I haven’t used that part of it since before the New Year. At first, I threw some video podcasts on there, out of the need to play with my new toy, but it quickly became apparent that it took almost as much time to load them onto the Fuze as it did to watch them. And frankly, the screen size being what it is, I never even considered anything beyond 30 minutes in length for it.

I use mine for the great music playback, I like the sound, seeing the album art is nice, and I have a few photos in mine still, but I primarily wanted it for the sound and expandability. If my Clips had card slots, I would probably sell or give away my Fuze, because the form factor of the Clips is more useful to me…it’s just that they max out at 8GB.

I certainly could see why you would wish to return your Fuze…it’s clearly not what you wanted it to be, and I’ll not try to talk you out of returning it. I do, however, question getting an iPod, given your preference for open source and distaste for proprietary items. As far as audio open source, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC are as good as it gets, assuming you have hardware that supports them…and iPods don’t, unless you find an older model that you can run the alternate  rockbox firmware on. Video, I’m not well versed in.

Anyways, I wish you luck in your search. :smileyvery-happy:

To be honest, I have no idea about the Fuze video future. I haven’t used that part of it since before the New Year. At first, I threw some video podcasts on there, out of the need to play with my new toy, but it quickly became apparent that it took almost as much time to load them onto the Fuze as it did to watch them. And frankly, the screen size being what it is, I never even considered anything beyond 30 minutes in length for it.

I use mine for the great music playback, I like the sound, seeing the album art is nice, and I have a few photos in mine still, but I primarily wanted it for the sound and expandability. If my Clips had card slots, I would probably sell or give away my Fuze, because the form factor of the Clips is more useful to me…it’s just that they max out at 8GB.

I certainly could see why you would wish to return your Fuze…it’s clearly not what you wanted it to be, and I’ll not try to talk you out of returning it. I do, however, question getting an iPod, given your preference for open source and distaste for proprietary items. As far as audio open source, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC are as good as it gets, assuming you have hardware that supports them…and iPods don’t, unless you find an older model that you can run the alternate  rockbox firmware on. Video, I’m not well versed in.

Anyways, I wish you luck in your search. :smileyvery-happy:

Well said, Martian, Thanks for that level headed well-reasoned reply.

Excellent points including about the iPod (non-open source), although I believe the iPod may be Unix based (definitely not not open source).  

As for video, I don’t really spend a lot of time watching video on such devices, but thought it would be handy to have.   I do already have the Nokia N800 which is a pretty amazing little Linux based handheld device (not only plays many native codecs of video as well as MP3 but also does WiFi Skype & web browsing etc etc), but the more compact form factor and likely longer battery life of the Fuze seduced me into an impulse buy which (as is to be expected for such spontaneous behavior) has now caused second thoughts.   And the Nokia, albeit quite small, is not as tiny and weightless as the nano-like Fuze.

The packaging clearly labelled as “MPEG-4” compatible was the final seduction that caused me to purchase the Fuze.  I agree with you 100% that if it takes as long to compress as to view, it’s not going to happen on my computer (add to that the fact that the Fuze has to be connected to the computer while this happens, and that the resulting video is ONLY compatible with the fuze and cannot be used elsewhere PLUS is not as readable…well, it’s not acceptable to me).

By the way, regarding the lock up issue, I forgot to mention earlier that although the work around mentioned above does allow shutdown of the device, it does not release the audio app that plays MP3/Video (in other words, it was locked in a fatal embrace with the video file and made MP3 playback impossible - (another reason I voted in another thread for a way to stop or shut down MP3 playback).  I had to connect to a real computer and delete the video file so I could get my MP3 player back.    Not a pretty site.   Honestly, I think I would make an excellent beta tester for hardware and software because i seem to push things to their limits and find problems right away that more laid back folks that only drive around cautiously never encounter.  :smiley:

Anyway, I haven’t yet decided what to do with my Fuze -  I suppose the smartest thing would be to return it and wait until the ‘perfect’ device is made (see my wishlist below) but I do like a lot of things about the Fuze and could possibly rationalize having another nice expandible mp3 player.

best,

Dell

Wishlist:

*Expandable memory - preferably with the most standard, least expensive media (e.g. standard size SDHC rather than micro)

*Compatible with open source (Ogg/etc) audio and video …as well as some de facto standards (like MP3 audio, h.264 mov video, etc)

*Don’t require proprietary video compression  (if it takes as long to compress as to view, it is not going to happen for me)

*Video in standard 320 x 200 size (I know, it’s a iPod size, but why fight a losing battle)

*Reads media files without special software to load them - this would allow cross-platform use (Mac,PC, Linux) by simple drag-and-drop

*Must allow hold (lock) of all keys 

*No features listed just for the sake of listing them (i.e. they barely work but not really)

@dellanderson wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

Dell

Hey Dell -

Well done sir!

Dell

I don’t know if I would call it that; it certainly wasn’t meant that way. I was merely pointing out that NO software is EVER perfect or completely bug-free. Windows just happened to be the ‘example-du-jour’. When software writers & developers fix one problem, 2 more totally unexpected & seemingly unrelated usually pop up. So it’s a never-ending battle. And honestly, no amount of QA testing is going to reveal every little quirk.

We’ve seen that numerous times with the various firmware updates & releases, Even after SanDisk delays the release to assure they aren’t releasing ‘buggy’ firmware, usually within hours someone finds a problem in ‘the real world’ and posts it here. Different people uses their devices differently, so QA testers are never going to find every little abnormality.

That kind of stuff happens only in developer’s dreams. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry if you took offense at my attempt at sarcastic humor. There was no hostility intended. Quite the opposite, in fact. :wink:

@dellanderson wrote:

…I have heard of windows…and I have never had a problem where it locked up to the point where I was required to use another OS (say Mac or Linux) to unlock it…  

I have, more than once, had to boot a Linux floppy with appropriate software to fix a corrupted Administrator password in Windows after a lockup that corrupted the registry.  I have had several occasions where I had to boot a live CD of Windows itself to fix folder issues that prevented the installed version of Windows from booting.  None of these were caused by viruses or hardware problems; all were Windows crashes.

Just for the record, it does happen.  But, it’s still my OS of choice, despite it’s idiosyncracies.

No problem, Tapeworm.  Ditto from me (re: No hostility intended etc).    I must admit that I was up till 4 am two nights in a row trying to puzzle out the video issue.  I kept thinking “let me try just this one more thing”.  

So far, but trial and error, I have reverse engineered the *.thm file to be an optional thumbnail image in RGB jpg format (8bits) with black bars approx 12 px & 14 px wide across the top and bottom.

Now I’m working on an alternative way to compress the video quickly and without using either Quicktime or SMC, both of which seem to destabilize my system for some reason.    I’ve seen elsewhere in this forum(?) that others converted successfully using WinAVI, but I haven’t yet happened on the right software and settings.   I’ll post if I have much success.   Video is so picky and time intensive as well as space consuming that the simpler it is the better - yet having options to compress some videos more than others would be nice as not everything needs to high rez.

best,

Dell

@jkj1962 wrote:

@dellanderson wrote:

…I have heard of windows…and I have never had a problem where it locked up to the point where I was required to use another OS (say Mac or Linux) to unlock it…  

I have, more than once, had to boot a Linux floppy with appropriate software to fix a corrupted Administrator password in Windows after a lockup that corrupted the registry.  I have had several occasions where I had to boot a live CD of Windows itself to fix folder issues that prevented the installed version of Windows from booting.  None of these were caused by viruses or hardware problems; all were Windows crashes.

Just for the record, it does happen.  But, it’s still my OS of choice, despite it’s idiosyncracies.

Now I’ve heard of everything!  :wink:

As long as you have Windows available, you can also try AnyVideoConverter and Rhapsody for video conversion.

Video specs for the Sansa E200 are here, and I believe the Fuze uses the same basic processor and firmware.

Yes, as far as video is concerned, the e200v2 and Fuze are “birds of a feather”.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: