Volume level

Ive just updated my Fuze to the latest firmware and now ive lost my volume settings in the settings section and my volume seems to be fixed to normal.I rip all my music to 192 vbr mp3 .Could someone help please.If not is it possible to re load an older firmware.Cheers.

This is to comply with the new EU regulations.  Here’s more from the BBC.  Believe me, I trust your preference with that volume control.

Listening to loud music for extended periods can damage your hearing, so be sure to adjust your volume wisely.  I trust that you can decide this for yourself.

Now then.  Go to Settings > System Settings > Reset Factory Settings.  Check out the gnarly warning message, cool isn’t it?  Go ahead, reset that wee beastie.  The first option will be Language.  Then, select your region as North America, land of the free, and home of the loud.  For your radio settings, be sure to select rest of world so that you can tune the English frequencies.

Your volume option will return.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Superb mate …Only one thing you have to select Rest of the World and not North America and it works…Thank you.

Message Edited by Eyeball on 01-21-2010 02:41 AM

Excellent - had posted under the FW release thread and then found this - very pleased - I just chose “Rest of World” and now have control again :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting the solution. Its madness (and typical) that the EU thinks we can’t make our own choices in life. As well as for music, I use my Fuze to listen to podcasts and not all these are recorded at a decent level, so the extra gain obtained from the ‘high’ settings in the volume menu is essential, and with no danger to my hearing. After doing the firmware upgrade this morning I believed I’d made my player useless and was very close to throwing it in the bin! Sansa should also allow you to download older firmware in case other bad decisions like this are made in the future.

Could someone clarify, please:

‘Max volume level lowered in Normal volume setting’ - does this mean I would have to turn the volume higher to to get the same effect as before the firmware update??

When I listen normally, I have the volume set in the lower 1/4 of the scale, so I’ve got no problem if I need a higher volume, but sometimes can’t turn it low enough (reading before I go to sleep, I sometimes have the volume one turn of the scroll wheel above mute - I must have really sensitive hearing!!!)

So if the firmware ‘enhancement’ means I could turn the volume indicator higher up the scale, it would be a good reason to upgrade.

@juliaf wrote:

‘Max volume level lowered in Normal volume setting’ - does this mean I would have to turn the volume higher to to get the same effect as before the firmware update??

When I listen normally, I have the volume set in the lower 1/4 of the scale, so I’ve got no problem if I need a higher volume, but sometimes can’t turn it low enough (reading before I go to sleep, I sometimes have the volume one turn of the scroll wheel above mute - I must have really sensitive hearing!!!)

So if the firmware ‘enhancement’ means I could turn the volume indicator higher up the scale, it would be a good reason to upgrade.

What firmware version do you have now (including the letter at the end)?  And what setting is the volume?  Normal or High?

Just making sure before i reset my settings, if you do rest, do you lose all your music, vids and pictures?

No you should be fine

@summerlove wrote:

@juliaf wrote:

What firmware version do you have now (including the letter at the end)?  And what setting is the volume?  Normal or High?

Sorry, I should have given some details.

Firmware version is 02.02.26, and I have Normal vol setting.

Well so far I’m happy with the upgrade.

You can still have the normal/max options if you set to “Rest of the World”, otherwise go European and remove the Max ability.

So, if you’re on Normal already, you’re not losing anything whatever you do.

Of course, as with all upgrades you may want to leave it a few days to check no-one finds some major bugs :slight_smile:

Speaking of major bugs, This morning when I was turning it up, using the new firmware, I found that if you have the North America setting and turn the volume past 50% on max the song will start skipping, think a CD player on an extremly bumpy road, thats how bad it is. If this helps I have the EQ on custom at 12.

Wolf-6 wrote:
Speaking of major bugs, This morning when I was turning it up, using the new firmware, I found that if you have the North America setting and turn the volume past 50% on max the song will start skipping, think a CD player on an extremly bumpy road, thats how bad it is. If this helps I have the EQ on custom at 12.

That’s most likely your problem right there. Try it with the custom EQ disabled.

never mind, I did the reset thing and it fixed it. thanks any way.

Neutron_bob,

You are officially my new hero!

**bleep** EU!

Thank you!!! You are GREAT!!! Zolino

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Thanks Bob - that worked a treat. Although I could not find the setting for ‘rest of world’ re radio setting! But I seem to be able to tune into UK frequencies OK.

Rillan

The radio settings are in a different location, under Radio Preferences.  Go to Settings, and the third listing will be Radio Options- then highlight Region.  Successive presses of the center button will scroll between the choices.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks! I updated to v02.03.31P a few weeks ago when i uploaded some music to the device, thinking nothing of it. Got to work and put it on and could hardly hear the dam thing! So did the reset as this thread says, selected language, then selected ‘rest of world’. Still leaves it quiet tho, you then have to go back into system settings and set the volume from normal to high, it then sets the previously maximum volume level at halfway, giving you another 50% to play with. Well EU, i paid for the player, i should be able to break my ears if i want to, they’re my ears!!!

Message Edited by spark001uk on 02-19-2010 10:39 PM