Voice recording...

Is it possible for the Fuze to record for 12 hrs, then save to a file and then start another file of 12 hrs recording? Previously I had a Zen Vision:M who did that (well, in sessions of 10 hours, but still).

No one with a solution?  oh, I installed the latest firmware :slight_smile:

I never tried that. But there are certainly some limits you might run into:

1. Battery life. I doubt you can record for 20 hrs.

2. Limit on file size. Note that the Fuze recordings are in wav format.

Why don’t you try out by yourself? 

Well, I did it for you :stuck_out_tongue:

With my Fuze at 89% battery capacity I started recording of a FM radio station. It went almost 10.5 hours resulting in a 3.3 GB size wav file (stereo, 24000Hz, 16bit). Note that the recording has been saved automatically before the power was exhausted. Only the last few minutes got lost, I believe.

Oh, it can record for 12 hrs in a row alright, but then it stops. I want it to automatically start a new session of 12 hrs of recording. 12 hrs is approx. 1.9Gib. So I could hold almost 48 Hrs on a 8Gib Fuze.

You want to record two 12 hr voice recording sessions back to back? WHY!? Just curious.

The things people want this little Fuze to do…sigh…

I havn’t thought about voice recording for 12 hours or more. I simply couldn’t imagine any such intended use, but who knows …

Anyway, you would need to recharge the battery after the first of a series ( :dizzy_face: ) of 12hrs recordings and restart it manually. Or is it that you have the Fuze connected to external DC power all the time? Sorry, but in that case I don’t think that a mobile mp3 player is the right device for you …

Message Edited by ewelot on 05-06-2009 08:40 PM

You could envision using the Fuze as a “bug”.

Leave it on, hidden in a room, to record for the next 10 hours or whatever.  You wouldn’t necessarily want it to run until the battery died.

Or maybe you are going to a lecture at your local club and you want to record for the next two hours but you have to leave and wont be back in the room until tomorrow AM.  Set the thing to record for two hours and go get it in the AM.

Would the sleep timer work?

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Or maybe you are going to a lecture at your local club and you want to record for the next two hours but you have to leave and wont be back in the room until tomorrow AM.  Set the thing to record for two hours and go get it in the AM.

Would the sleep timer work?

Yes, it works. The voice recording will be saved just before the sleep timer initiates the shutdown of the device.

But as you said, the sleep timer has an upper limit of 120min. Therefore I can’t use it for an unattended recording of the early morning FM broadcast - e.g. from 3:00 AM to 4:00 AM - by starting the Fuze when I go to bed. I would have to record until I get up and stop it manually or the battery has discharged completely. I would be more happy with an unlimited sleep timer (say 10hrs) in this case.

You can set it to record a certain length of time. Checkout the “duration” option…

Message Edited by bobletteross on 05-07-2009 01:58 PM

@bobletteross wrote:
You can set it to record a certain length of time. Checkout the “duration” option…
Message Edited by bobletteross on 05-07-2009 01:58 PM

Sure, I can define the length of an FM recording. But I can’t set the Fuze to switch off, apart from using the sleep timer which has a limit of 2hrs. That is the point I tried to emphasize. Also, you should notice that the original poster is interested in voice recording and there you don’t even have the duration option.

Well, the bug option was the closest. I got suspiscion of animals in a certain room. And I wanna record for like 24 hrs to see if I can capture it. I can’t put video up, 'cuz I don’t have the equipment and I doubt that it’s remotely light enough.

But, I think I can draw the conclusion that 12 hrs is the max and it stops after that. Is there a way I can lure the developers into some sort of mechanism that it stops recording after 12 hrs and start a new file after that? So you can record for a more extended period, but also, you have your recordings in 12 hr chunks.