Video? My head is spinning - video4fuze

I have read numerous thread on putting video on the Fuze.  Would someone please give me a step by step from start to finish.  Starting from the best DVD ripper, how to use it and then using Video4Fuze or the easiest way to get this accomplished.  I’m not understanding some of the steps due to lack of technical knowledge.  I consider myself computer literate, but some of these terms and devices are very new to me.

Thanks.

First, rip the DVD using Handbrake, the GUI version. It can be downloladed from the website, www.handbrake.fr.

then, if you already have video4fuze, click on the video tab at the top, and add the video you ripped. select output folder, (the fuze), and convert it!

there are other DVD rippers out htere, but i use Handbrake. Free, and actually rips the whole thing and doesn’t leave a watermark!

you can also use K9DVD decrypter, or whatever its called, i forget the name.

Message Edited by fudge on 04-05-2010 12:19 PM

When I select output folder sansa fuze, it says that I can’t use that folder.  What am I missing?

I used my Handbrake Output folder and then moved it to the video file in fuze.  It worked minus being all out of sync and pixilated.  I’m sure that will take some tweaking. 

1. How do I get it to go directly to fuze?

2. What are the best Handbrake settings?

okay, when you put in your dvd, go down to the video tab in the middle. in constant quality, pick 100% for best quality.

Can someone post a step by step guide to using Handbreak? I tryed ripping one when it was done it made an MP4 file but there was nothing playing

Thanks 

Handbrake can read a DVD, but it can’t decrypt an encrypted DVD. That function was removed a long time ago because of litigation issues. Instead it uses the decryption library of VLC (if installed) to decrypt.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Sources

libdvdcss doesn’t handle anything but simple CSS. Any recently released movie won’t be decrypted. BDs won’t work either since they don’t even use CSS.

In short, Handbrake isn’t meant to be a ripper. Here’s one that works with everything, incl BDs:

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Once you get the DVD content onto the HD, then use whatever you want to convert.

Suggestion to newbies: When asking for help, never EVER say, “give me step-by-step guide”.

Handbrake can read a DVD, but it can’t decrypt an encrypted DVD. That function was removed a long time ago because of litigation issues. Instead it uses the decryption library of VLC (if installed) to decrypt.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Sources

libdvdcss doesn’t handle anything but simple CSS. Any recently released movie won’t be decrypted. BDs won’t work either since they don’t even use CSS.

In short, Handbrake isn’t meant to be a ripper. Here’s one that works with everything, incl BDs:

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Once you get the DVD content onto the HD, then use whatever you want to convert.

Suggestion to newbies: When asking for help, never EVER say, “give me step-by-step guide”.

@fudge

Thanks for letting me know (by implication) that there’s a CLI version of Handbrake. Normally, I detest Handbrake–and most front-end GUIs–since they make things a lot more complicated than they should be. But in this case, the CLI build is a pretty cool tool.

It’s an AIO (all-in-one) type like mencoder, but also does auto-crop/IVTC. Haven’t test these much, but looks like new DVDs w/ no weirdness should work OK.

Caveats are that it uses an old x264 build (Nov09), and its options haven’t reflected the simplified x264 presets, so you have to specifically set the x264 options. Also, it can be pretty slow. I’ll have to see where the bottlenecks are.

And of course, it’s a CLI, so GUI folks will be oblivious to it. All it needs is a shell script wrapper for drag-drop use.

My brother is suffering along with SimpleDivX (which is a Win GUI for mencoder). I think I’ll adapt my script for this for him.

Any Sansa View owner out there interested in a drag-drop converter?

Oh yah, don’t use Handbrake as a ripper. It’s not good. Use a real ripper, like DVDFab HD Decrypter.

Newbies’ step-by-step guide to video conversion:

Step 1) Use Search. Type in keywords like: video converter

Step 2) Read a lot, until, er, your head is spinning.

Step 3) Read some more.