VIDEOS ONTO FUZE

OK I HAVE HAD IT WITH VIDEOS!!!

I have done everything I can think of, including calling customer service…3 times.  I have followed the directions from this post http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=smc&thread.id=944  I downloaded each of those programs, but my issue is with AVC. 

I have two digital copies from the DVD manufacturer (Mamma Mia and The Dark Knight) that I am trying to load on to my fuze.  I can watch the videos with no issues on Windows Media; however that is as far as it goes.  I have tried to encode them to .mp4 AND .avi files (which btw, why do we need to do this??) but they come out garbled.  The sound is garbled and the picture is a whole bunch of little squares that are of no value.

Does any one have a suggestion?  I am not extremely technical, so step by step would be great. 

Thank you in advance…

I have no experiance wih Mama Mia but Ill assume its the same as The Dark Knight.  You my friend are dealing with a DRM. I got my copy of TDK on Christmas eve and spent 4-5 hours a day until yesterday trying to break this DRM (Its new and unlike any I have seen before), I quit last night the DRM is to encripted into the Video. I emailed a contact I had at Warner Bros. About a possible unlock code or a kill sequence as is sometimes written. I have not heard back yet. I got the digital copy as well and had the same issue.

So, I realize that all of this is illegal, whether you buy it, rip it, convert it, or if you download it and convert it.  So, to make myself feel justified I usually only download movies that I have already bought and own, and since there is really no legal way to get a movie onto the fuze, I feel inappropriately justified in downloading illegal copies that will allow me to convert them and load them onto my fuze.  Like I said, I know it’s wrong, but in my opinion, the movie is mine, regardless of if I watch it on a portable DVD player, a big screen tv, or converted to fit on my fuze. So, long answer to your question… is I let other people worry about the DRM stuff, and I download digital versions of my purchased DVD’s.

Wouldn’t it be more efficient (not to mention less likelihood of getting a bad copy) to rip your DVDs yourself?

Lets Get one thing Straight if you bought it you can rip it or download digital copy’s licensed from the studio. Once its on your computer then you can put it on Your Fuze and those of people in your Household. You cannot however give the copy to others outside of your household. I do think if you bought it and it dont come with a dig copy and you download it that nobody would fault you but bear in mind it is the same as breaking into somebodys house and stesling there dvd collection and if cought you could be prosecuted as such by the studios. DRM’s are a way of life right now. There are work arounds for the most common ones but this newest one is a whole new Demon, I hope to hear about a Kill code or a work around from the studio, they are usually pertty good about helping in things like this.

@gwk1967 wrote:
Wouldn’t it be more efficient (not to mention less likelihood of getting a bad copy) to rip your DVDs yourself?

Tried it and Still got garble, I even downloaded Daniusoft converter pro andpaid $40 for a software I could write myself, and not peanuts. I ripped and I downloaded digital copy, thats why I say this newest DRM is Some Kinad Monster.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 01-05-2009 01:26 AM

My question was for shlurpee (who downloads DVD rips), not specifically about the Dark Knight digital copy. On the matter of TDK, has anyone tried ripping the DVD version (skipping the “digital copy” route) using DVDFab, then using a conversion program like SMC or Any Video Converter? Supposedly, a recent update to DVDFab includes support for the encryption used on TDK.

EDIT: The free version of DVDFab can be found at dvdfab.com, at the “free stuff” link at the bottom of the page.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 01-05-2009 01:10 AM

Ill try it in the morning!

have ripped DK to hard drive with latest DVD Fab Decrypter (freeware) and backed up to DVDR with NO issues. and this is with a P1 (150 mhz) system at that.

LAWL you still have a pentium 1 computer? Does it run on gasoline? Ok I will stop joking now. I used to have a pentium 1. I couldn’t even play games on it. Had like 128mb of total ram. Games like Star Craft chugged majorly, I couldn’t imagine converting/ripping movies or watching them on a P1. Must take like all night.

You can get a Pentium 64 bit processor and motherboard, and about 2 gigs of ram for less than $250. Throw in a decent video card and you are out the door for $330 after tax. That includes a new case and power supply. All you would have to do is use your existing monitor/keyboard/mouse/hard drive and you just upgraded to something more current and capable for less then $400. 

More efficient? No way.  Maybe for someone with a slow internet and a really fast computer it would be faster to ripp then convert…then convert again with SMC. But with the internet connection i have, I can download 700mb file in under 1 hour, then use SMC to format it in about 30 minutes.  It’s about 2-3 hours faster this way.

Conversionbox,

since when is it legal to rip DVD’s onto your computer? That’s the purpose of DRM, to prevent people from ripping.  Last I heard, any deviation from the original format of the media unless expressed by the owner, is illegal.  Such us, converting, ripping, or burning…all are illegal unless the media comes with those rights, and as far as I know, no DVD comes with the right to rip or convert even if it is for personal use within your home.  Some come with digital versions such as the new prince caspien movie…but that’s not ripping a DVD.

In the US, its not about “deviation from the original format” - its a DMCA violation to remove DRM. Since nearly all commercial DVDs have DRM, this generally means that ripping is illegal. Making or distributing software to remove DRM is also illegal, which is why SMC has to be a separate process.

Of course, its not like anyone will care if its for personal use (particularly if there is no alternate source). Downloading is a different thing, since P2P is set up such that when you download you also offer up what you’ve downloaded so far (to anyone). The MPAA hasn’t sued anyone for personal use that I know of, but you’re probably safer with ripping than with downloading.

Back on the original topic - it will be highly unlikely that any digital copies that are distributed with commercial DVDs (in the forseeable future) won’t have DRM, and the Fuze doesn’t support DRMed video…the message needs to be clear that in nearly all cases, “digital copies” (as well as purchased video) won’t work with the Fuze.

Message Edited by bdb on 01-05-2009 08:41 AM

@shlurpee wrote:
More efficient? No way.  Maybe for someone with a slow internet and a really fast computer it would be faster to ripp then convert…then convert again with SMC. But with the internet connection i have, I can download 700mb file in under 1 hour, then use SMC to format it in about 30 minutes.  It’s about 2-3 hours faster this way.

Many people would probably consider my PC few years past its prime (a 3.0 GHz single-core P4), but I can rip a DVD in 15-20 minutes and convert with AVC in 60-90 minutes. And I don’t have to worry about the quality of someone else’s work.

Oh, and with the proper setting in AVC, I don’t have to convert again with SMC.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 01-05-2009 12:33 PM

@gwk1967 wrote:

Oh, and with the proper setting in AVC, I don’t have to convert again with SMC.

Please share those settings.  I have tried a few different things, including converting the file to avi straight from AVC, but I still had to convert with SMC.

Message Edited by bullitt453 on 01-05-2009 11:04 AM

"Many people would probably consider my PC few years past its prime (a 3.0 GHz single-core P4), but I can rip a DVD in 15-20 minutes and convert with AVC in 60-90 minutes. And I don’t have to worry about the quality of someone else’s work.

Oh, and with the proper setting in AVC, I don’t have to convert again with SMC"

Huh, that’s pretty fast. I have a laptop with dual 1.8 ghz with plenty of ram and it takes me waaaay longer than that to rip. Dang laptop.

@bullitt453 wrote:

Please share those settings.  I have tried a few different things, including converting the file to avi straight from AVC, but I still had to convert with SMC.

Using AVC v2.6.7:

(my movies are converted for my View, but just by changing the resolution, these settings should work for the Fuze as well. My sincere apologies if they don’t. It is not my intention to mislead anyone. I had the same audio out of sync/media not supported issues as everyone until I found the right settings.)

Profile: Customized MP4 movie (*.mp4)

Video codec: mpeg4

Video size: 320x240

Video bitrate: 512

Video framerate: 30

Audio codec: aac (this setting can’t be changed, but it works even though the manual doesn’t say either the View or the Fuze support aac)

Audio bitrate: 128

Sample rate: 44100

Audio channel: 2

Disable audio: No

A/V Sync: Default

Audio track: Default (this setting is also fixed)

Thank you so much for your settings, unfortunately those settings did not prevent the garbling!!!  If I could attach the file I would. 

I have also sent a request to universal, but if they respond it will probably not be for days.

Does anyone know how to load a DVD to the player.  Again, I tried to encode the files directly from the disk, but received the error message that sound would not convert.

I chose this player because of the FM transmitter and it seemed to be just as compatible as an iPod, but I am seriously thinking about returning it for an iPod.

You probably wanted the FM receiver feature. You might want to take a look at the Cowon D2. Handles DRM and all kinds of media files. 52 hrs of music on one charge… Sigh.

(to kchallender)

Well, again that wasn’t meant for converting the Dark Knight “digital copy”. With the DRM involved, I really think it’s a waste of time to pursue that goal. Those were just my settings for converting DVD rips for use on my View.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 01-05-2009 11:10 PM