Highlighted
Accepted Solution

VBR mp3 skipping/stuttering on 8GB model

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I have an 8GB Sansa Fuze and with some VBR mp3 files I get serious skipping/stuttering of playback, especially when the backlight goes off. It seems similar to the audio-book problem in another post, and I was suspicious it was caused by the mp3s being VBR.

I have converted a song that suffered from particularly stuttered playback into 128kbps CBR and this resulted in no stuttering. Suspecting file-size (as the VBR was 9.7MB) I took the same original VBR file and converted it to 320kbps CBR, and again no stuttering.

Hopefully there is a fix coming?

Cheers,

Andrew

Further to the above - no uSD cards involoved, and I havn't formatted the player or anything since it was purchased brand-new - it still even has the free supplied music on it.

Message Edited by DukePacman on 08-09-2008 12:32 PM
SanDisk Guru

Re: VBR mp3 skipping/stuttering on 8GB model

Thanks for the heads-up regarding your issue.

Don't worry, as the issue is being looked at, and playback issues are on the front burner.  The new processor family for the Fuze does some really cool things, and I'm sure that the team is spending a lot of time with the earbuds on.

With that thought, I had better run on to a few tasks at hand, starting with coffee.  I've had some issues with decoding on my trusty specimens here as well.

The next firmware release is coming up too. 

Bob  Smiley Very Happy 

SanDisk Guru

Can you tell us the VBR file bit rate range ?  Also can test with a higher minimum VBR rate?

Hi - I' can't easily tell you the range as I haven't found a tool I'm happy with yet - perhaps I can send you the file?

If you want me to try playing a file with a higher min VBR perhaps you can email it to me?

Cheers,

Andrew 

SanDisk User

@DukePacman wrote:

Hi - I' can't easily tell you the range as I haven't found a tool I'm happy with yet - perhaps I can send you the file?

If you want me to try playing a file with a higher min VBR perhaps you can email it to me?

Cheers,

Andrew 

Ha! Trying to wrangle free music, eh? Smiley Wink

SanDisk Fanatic

I'm curious as well as to the specs of your mp3 file. Any update about what the source of these vbr content were from? sampling rate, vbr rate, program used to encode?

You're welcome to a copy of a problem VBR mp3 file - I don't know of a single VBR mp3 I have that doesn't cause the player to skip/stutter.

They have been created from original CDs, ripped using something like Sound Juicer with encoding by Lame (I'm a Linux user) with standard sample rate settings.

Cheers,

Andrew 

SanDisk Fanatic

yes please post some link to your problem vbr. and what firmware your using.  Use some file share site like rapidshare, megaupload, etc. a few problem files would be fine.

Firmware v01.01.11A which I understnad is the latest/only available.

Stuttering is noticable when the backlight goes off.

Sample VBRs that cause problem:

i.e.

1. http://rapidshare.com/files/150181755/01_-_Coldplay_-_A_Rush_of_Blood_to_the_Head_-_Politik.mp3.html

2. http://rapidshare.com/files/150181756/01_-_Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers_-_Californication_-_Around_The_World.mp3.html

3. http://rapidshare.com/files/150181757/01_-_U2_-_The_B-Sides_1980-1990_-_The_Three_Sunrises.mp3.html 

4. http://rapidshare.com/files/150181758/7_-_Oh_My_Lord.mp3.html

Cheers,

Andrew 

SanDisk Fanatic

Downloading as of now.  Thanks for the post, I'll get back with you with the results.