SanDisk Fanatic

Re: VBR mp3 skipping/stuttering on 8GB model

See my post back on page 8 - sounds like headphone jacks. This is a known problem.
8GB Blue FUZE w/The Original DIY Lineout Cable and AT Button H-Phones Fitted To AT WM5 Headband:All Custom Built
SanDisk Fanatic

Sounds like bad headphone jacks in all the players. Try backing the headphone plug out a very small amount (about 1mm). The jacks seam to semi-short and load down the amp at higher volume levels. Some people added thin washers on the headphone plug to hold it out slightly, others returned their players as defective.

Pretty stupid design.  How does one send players back as defective?

"Faith manages"
- jms
SanDisk Fanatic

Not really stupid design. It's defective jacks that seemed to get in a batch of players. My blue 4gb had the problem and a thin washer on the headphone plug solved the stuttering problems. It was not returnable because it was bought used. I have since swapped out the main board with a 8gb board which has a good jack.

The jacks are cheap, with crimped contacts to shorting bars. The bad ones probably have the contact placement slightly off. Poor QC or QC standards is too blame.

To return a player you need to contact Sandisk Support and get an RMA number from them. Info is in the shaded area at the top of this page.

8GB Blue FUZE w/The Original DIY Lineout Cable and AT Button H-Phones Fitted To AT WM5 Headband:All Custom Built
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info. Smiley Happy

Sooo, now I've got a some questions:

1)  Is there a list of affected player serial numbers

2)  Is this the kind of thing that gets worse over time to the point where the player becomes unusable

3)  If I have to send it back, who pays the shipping (to my way of thinking, it shouldn't be me)

Message Edited by roj on 06-09-2009 09:16 AM
"Faith manages"
- jms
SanDisk Guru

@roj wrote:

Thanks for the info. Smiley Happy

Sooo, now I've got a some questions:

1)  Is there a list of affected player serial numbers

2)  Is this the kind of thing that gets worse over time to the point where the player becomes unusable

3)  If I have to send it back, who pays the shipping (to my way of thinking, it shouldn't be me)

Message Edited by roj on 06-09-2009 09:16 AM

If you send it to Sandisk they Do. What happens is you set up an account with Tech support and they send you the shipping tag that you tape on a box and ship in. (you may have to buy a small box, I did for my connect), I have not heard about a batch or serial number of effected players, and I havent heard of anybody who kept a defective one long enough to know if it gets worse.

Nice Catch 14124all. I had forgotten about that problem.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

What I don't understand though is how would a bad jack explain stuttering only when the volume is turned all the way up on higher bitrate files?
SanDisk Fanatic

Want one even weirder?  It hasn't done a single dropout this week so far.
"Faith manages"
- jms
SanDisk Fanatic

@bassmannate wrote:
What I don't understand though is how would a bad jack explain stuttering only when the volume is turned all the way up on higher bitrate files?

Note that skipping may be caused by bad files, as others tried to rule out here. Also clipping of files is a concern. The jack problem is easy to check. When the stuttering is happening, back out the plug a small amount and see if it stops. If it does it is most likely the jack is faulty. It is causing a semi-short (lower resistance) than it normally should. Note also that there is some variance is headphone plug length and contact centers which throws more tolerance error into this situation. Some headphones may work fine others may not, but the jack should accept all unless they are outright defective.

The problem will mostly show at high volume, high bass because of higher current draw on the headphone amplifier. The amplifier is built into the system chip on the AMS SOC. Most other players have a seperate dedicated amp chip. The system chip is most likely getting loaded down from current draw on the amp section and causing processing delays. Or the amp section may be shutting itself on and off due to too much current draw on it if it has a current limiter. I can't say for sure, but I assume this is what is happening.

Highlighted

I have (finally) updated the firmware on my 8GB Fuze (to version 02.02.26P) and mp3 that would previously cause stuttering no longer do.

Many thanks for the fix Sansa.

Cheers,

Andrew