Unknown Memory Usage issue

So, I have had my sansa for awhile. I got it used, but it works as far as playback, but the size of it is an 8GB; however, the memory on the internal part is acting like it has approximately 4-5GB already being used; i even took all of the files off and tried to start over, but it is still only giving me a little over 2 GB of music storage, which to me doesn’t make any sense. I think i properly updated the firmware finally, using all the steps that were recommended on the forums, but still this issue is confusing me and I have no idea how to fix it. any help would be appreciated. 

Most likely an issue from using the infamous Auto Defect connectivity mode. The player comes set to this mode by default and can connect in either MTP or MSC mode without your knowledge. Files loaded in one mode cannot be seen by your computer (or you) while connected in the other, giving the illusion of missing files or hidden ‘used’ memory space.

If you really want to clear the player, freeing up all the memory and start over, you can use the Format command in the Setting > System Settings menu. Then choose one of the 2 USB modes (also in System Settings) and stick to that. MSC (Mass Storage Class) is generally preferred unless you use Rhapsody, Audible, Overdrive (library) or other DRM-encrypted files.

Thanks. That explains it. I was just wondering where the 2GB of storage space went. I didn’t realize auto detect takes up that much space.

@austingrd wrote:
Thanks. That explains it. I was just wondering where the 2GB of storage space went. I didn’t realize auto detect takes up that much space.

It doesn’t. I suggest you read my explanation again. :confounded:

Austingrd, go to Settings/Systems Settings/USB Mode and connect in MSC. Take all the files and back them up onto your computer or a hard drive.

Then go to Settings/System Settings/USB MOde and connect in MTP. Take all THOSE files and back them up too.

Then use each mode to delete files you don’t want from the Fuze. Since you got it used, the previous owner may have left 2G of files on there in a different mode from the one you were using.

Your computer can only see one mode at a time. MSC-transferred files are invisible in MTP and vice versa.

It’s likely that the 2GB of files you can’t see were transferred in a different mode from the one you are currently using. Transfer all your files in one mode and your computer will be able to see more clearly what’s going on.

Instead of Auto Detect pick one mode (the one where your own music is) and use it from now on.