Unit recognized. Slot, not.

This is a variation on the old “not recognized” problem.

The 16GB card is read in a reader by My Computer (XP), and I ran chkdsk on it just to be sure. The music plays fine in the Fuze, so I could add it by card reader. 

But in My Computer, the second drive is just not shown: not an empty drive, nothing. 

I did a firmware refresh (1.02.26),  but no change.  Any suggestions? 

v2 player = SDHC support (4GB & up)? Yes.

v1 player (yours) = SDHC support? NOT. Only up to 2GB w/o Rockbox.

The card is not completely inserted?

If the player is connecting in MTP mode, it will only appear as “Sansa Fuze [number]GB”, without a drive letter. Double-clicking that will then bring up “Internal Memory” and “External uSD Card” (if a card is inserted and detected). Is that how you’re viewing it?

Ah yes George, you may be onto someting. The MTP/MSC issue completely escaped me when I read the OP the 1st time.

In MSC mode, the player and card slot will show up in Explorer as 2 separate drives under Devices With Removeable Storage. With MTP mode like you said, it will be listed as Other. You have to double-click on it to open the Internal & External Memory locations.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 03-22-2010 10:46 AM

First thing I checked. It’s all MSC all the time. 

The card is completely inserted. As I pointed out, the Fuze reads al the music. 

Message Edited by Crescendo on 03-22-2010 09:15 AM

The songs on the card plays on your Fuze, but the card is not recognized in Explorer when connected in MSC mode? That’s just plain weird.

Have you got another card to try? I’d be interested to hear if that one shows up.

I had tried another card, 8GB, and had the same problem.

But it seems to have cured itself after some rebooting of the computer. (Did I mention I had looked at the USB ports in Device Manager, showing no problems?)

The first thing I had checked was that it was in MSC mode, and I rechecked after reinstalling the firmware, so it wasn’t that (and there was no Fuze icon in Windows Explorer, which I think MTP would have produced). 

I had been using a lot of different USB devices in that port, including another music player with USB slot. It, too, was working one moment with its USB slot, then not showing the USB slot, then showing it again. Maybe one of the USB drivers got jealous or something.

Anyway, it’s solved until it happens again. Some Windows glitch, I reckon. 

Crescendo wrote:

Glitch? In Windows? Naaaahhhhh! :smileyvery-happy:

Tapeworm wrote:

Crescendo wrote:

Glitch? In Windows? Naaaahhhhh! :smileyvery-happy:

Must be running Windows ME. :wink: