Unidentified memory use

When I received my Fuse 8GB, the 6.4GB of memory was in use. The system shows 7806MB of total memory & only 375MB (26 songs) of free space. No matter where I’ve looked, I cannot identify what is consuming all the memory. It appears that the unit must be defective. Has anyone else had this happen to them.

Try to format the device using the format option within the Settings menu.

You’ve fully charged it first, correct?  Just want to make sure of the basics…

JustReboot wrote:
Try to format the device using the format option within the Settings menu.

That sounds right. 

If that doesn’t work, it may be defective, sometimes in any device a defective one can slip through… If you can return it to the store or online, do that, or contact SanDisk.

Oh, that’s easy.

Did someone install Windows Vista on your Fuze?  

Just kidding.  Use the device’s Format command via Settings > System Settings > Format > Yes.  It should free up everything for a fresh load of music!

bob  :stuck_out_tongue: 

Glad I found this thread.

My Fuze shows 115 MB used. I deleted everything–even the photos that came with the unit. 

Then, I formatted it based on previous posts.

Is this what’s being used by the player just to work?  Then it’s not really a 4GB player. I don’t recall this issue with my previous Sansa model (I think it was the e250). Thanks for any info.

@swbird wrote:

Glad I found this thread.

My Fuze shows 115 MB used. I deleted everything–even the photos that came with the unit. 

Then, I formatted it based on previous posts.

Is this what’s being used by the player just to work?  Then it’s not really a 4GB player. I don’t recall this issue with my previous Sansa model (I think it was the e250). Thanks for any info.

My 2 GB Fuze shows the same thing when empty - 115 MB used. I’ve checked for hidden files in both MTP and MSC modes, reinstalled the latest firmware, reformatted, and it still says 115 MB used. Is this normal?

The fuze seems to have some hidden directories, that don’t even show up, when you select “show hidden files” in windows explorer. You can see & copy them with the freeware pc inspector file recovery. But I don’t know about deleting them…

The operating files as well as the folders, etc. used for Rhapsody capability take up some room. Also realize that 2GB does not equal 2,000,000,000 bytes. Computer systems add up things differently than calculators. :wink:

Your figures sound about right.

Manufacturers list their product capacities in MB but they incorrectly convert it to GB to boost the perceived size. Your player has 8000MB of storage and there is 1024MB in 1 GB. Sansa like others ignore the 24 in 1024 and just divide 8000MB by 1000MB giving you 8GB. In reality, you have 8000MB/1024MB = 7.81GB of unformatted space. After you format it you lose a bit more so your 7806MB sounds correct. This effect is more evident in hard drives and you eventually start losing more than 10GB per hard drive when the advertised capacity is high enough.

@tapeworm wrote:

The operating files as well as the folders, etc. used for Rhapsody capability take up some room. Also realize that 2GB does not equal 2,000,000,000 bytes. Computer systems add up things differently than calculators. :wink:

Your figures sound about right.

I was aware that 2 GB doesn’t really mean 2 GB, but windows explorer says my player has 1.88 GB total space, which I understand is correct, while only showing 1.77 GB free space while empty. Over 100 mb used for operating files seemed excessive to me. I just want to be sure my player isn’t defective or something so I can exchange it for another while I can.

Thanks for the replies!

There is over 100MB reserved for the Operating Firmware and Databases.  Its normal.

@sansafix wrote:
There is over 100MB reserved for the Operating Firmware and Databases.  Its normal.

Okay, thank you!

On that thought, when I pour that first cup of morning coffee, I allow about 15mm of space below the brim.

This way, I have room for the cream, and a working space to get that perfect stoichiometric ratio.  The reserved space in your Sansa’s memory works in much the same way.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue: