Unexpected database refresh

Has anyone been having unexpected database refreshes since installing the new FW?

A couple times now the player has started a database refresh when I turned it on, even though I haven’t connected, charged or swapped a card.  I just turned it off yesterday, then turned it on this morning and it started a refresh.  It’s done this one other time since updating the FW.  I turn it on/off several times each day and it normally starts right up as expected.  But twice now it’s rebuilt the DB for some unknown reason.

I do have one of the free Sansa music cards in the player, which might have something to do with it.  But I’ve had it in there for months and never had this problem.

Anyone else having this issue?

Hasn’t happened to me as yet.

(That didn’t hurt. It wasn’t addressed to you Skinjob. _ They _ know. :angry: )

It happened to me as well (once).  I happened to have slightly wet hands when I had turned it off however, so perhaps the shutdown was not done properly.

I have seen it too, but it is ramdon I have not been able to repeated every single time i turn on the Fuze, but if I am not mistaken I think one time I saw the word standby on the screen when I try to turn it off but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks

jdelgado

Glad it’s not just me.

It actually just happened to me again since I last posted.  I’m going to try taking the card out and see if that makes any difference.

I’m also wondering if there’s any difference between pausing the player and letting the power save turn it off versus turning it off with the power switch.  Can’t seem to find a pattern yet.  Hopefully it’s not totally random or it’s going to tough to solve.

If the card is ejected and inserted when the device is off it will trigger a refresh,  regardless if it was swapped.

I’ve noticed the same issue since the update;  occasionaly, sometimes in the middle of a song, the Fuze will take it upon itself to refresh the database.

Sansafix:  I leave my uSD card in all the time, and it is covered by a silicone case, so it can not be accidentaly ejected. 

OK, we will look into this.  If anyone here can let us know what content was playing (type) and whether its in external or internal card it will be helpful.  Give us as much info as possible so we can recreate this.

Thanks,SansaFix

It has happened to me a few times:

It’s happened when playing ogg  (Which makes sense because it was just added, so it may be a little buggy)

It happened when I was playing a 128Kbps mp3 and the screen was off, I pushed the power switch and it tool about 2 seconds but it turned off without the splash screen. When I turned it back on, it refreshed.

Since it rarely happens and the Fuze’s refresh is fast, I don’t worry about it too much!

I keep music, audiobooks and podcasts on the internal drive, and video on the external 8GB uSD card.

Most of my music is in WMA (Rhapsody) or VBR MP3.  I haven’t isolated particular songs yet. 

I’ve had a database refresh today, but that was not unexpected in the circumstances. My Fuze crashed while playing. The display was dark, it looked as if powered down, but I couldn’t turn it back on via the power switch, no matter how long I held it. Pushing the power switch up while holding the left button revived it player, which then proceeded to rebuild its database.

Unfortunately, I can’t tell if it was playing an OGG track when it crashed, I simply wasn’t paying attention. :slight_smile:

@sansafix wrote:
If the card is ejected and inserted when the device is off it will trigger a refresh,  regardless if it was swapped.

Just to be clear, like I said in the original post, I didn’t swap a card or anything.  Just turned the player off and then back on sometime later.

I just mentioned removing the card to see if it’s presence had something to do with the refresh.

@sansafix wrote:

OK, we will look into this.  If anyone here can let us know what content was playing (type) and whether its in external or internal card it will be helpful.  Give us as much info as possible so we can recreate this.

Thanks,SansaFix

All my content on the internal memory is MP3 VBR Q4 or 5 encoded by Winamp.  The external card is the mail-in freebie from Sandisk (Indie version).

The first time the problem happened, it was playing a song from the card via Play All + Shuffle.  I believe I turned it off using the power switch, but I’m not 100% sure.

The second time it was playing a track from the interal memory via a m3u playlist + shuffle. I paused the player and it turned off via the power save. 

The third time it was playing a track from the internal memory via a m3u playlist + shuffle and turned off using the power switch.

In each of the three cases above the card was always present and never ejected (hasn’t been ejected for months).  And in each case, when the player was turned on it began a DB refresh.

I’ll try removing the card for a while and see if it makes any difference.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 10-07-2008 06:30 PM

It’s happened to me several times, and it seems to be related to a shutoff problem I mentioned in the firmware thread.  Sometimes when I hold up the power button, the screen simply blacks out like I had done a forced shutoff rather than showing the shutoff animation.  When this happens and I turn it back on, it always does a database refresh.  It doesn’t seem to be associated with any praticular song or mode, though I have been listening to my music on genre shuffle pretty much exclusively the last several days.  I’ll try to pay more attention in the future and see if I can come up with helpful data but it’s been behaving itself today…

A database refresh happened to me once.  This happened after turning off the unit…it didn’t display the shutdown display.

The database seemed to be slower rebuilding as well.

I have had this issue as well. It seems that it happens after I play a playlist with I know is OFF of the M-sd card. After I listen to the playlist, and shut it off, it comes up with “refreshing database” blah blah, and so forth. It only does it once for me when this happens, but i though it cycled throuh the refresh database thingy for both the sd card and the internal mem.

It only happens every now and then don’t know if that will help ya Sansame.

mark

It happened to me too :frowning: 2 times !

The first one, I did not remember the circonstancies but it was after I unplugged fuze from the PC without adding files (just charging).

The second time, was when I restart the fuze. When I shut down the player, I was leastening ogg files under a µsd card. And like said before by another user the shut down was made without the sansa animation. I clearly could remember that.

I’m suspecting it has something to do with having a card inserted.  I removed the card last night and have gone through a number of on/off cycles without problem.  If I get through another day without a refresh, I’ll try putting the card back in and see if the problem comes back.

@skinjob wrote:
I’m suspecting it has something to do with having a card inserted.  I removed the card last night and have gone through a number of on/off cycles without problem.  If I get through another day without a refresh, I’ll try putting the card back in and see if the problem comes back.

So much for that theory, I just had another unxepected refresh without the card.

However, it looks like Odd_Bob hit it on the head:

@odd_bob wrote:

It’s happened to me several times, and it seems to be related to a shutoff problem I mentioned in the firmware thread.  Sometimes when I hold up the power button, the screen simply blacks out like I had done a forced shutoff rather than showing the shutoff animation.  When this happens and I turn it back on, it always does a database refresh.  It doesn’t seem to be associated with any praticular song or mode, though I have been listening to my music on genre shuffle pretty much exclusively the last several days.  I’ll try to pay more attention in the future and see if I can come up with helpful data but it’s been behaving itself today…

If you shut the player off using the power switch when the backlight is off, the player wakes up, pauses a few seconds, then imediately turns off without displaying the “goodbye” screen.  When this happens, the DB will refresh on the next startup.

If you wake the player up first, then turn it off with the power switch, you’ll see the goodbye screen and it won’t refresh on the next startup.  Similarly, it seems to work fine if you pause the player and let the power save turn it off.

I’ve only tried it a few times, but it seems to be 100% repeatable.  If anyone else has a chance to try it, please post your results.

You have found the bug!.  The power switch up event is waking the screen but not proceeding to shutdown the unit, before the hardware reset kicks in.  We will get this fixed at the next release.

Another bug I found is if you turn the scroll wheel at the top menu and simultaneously press the power key up the event can be missed.

As a work aound,  if the power off screen is not shown right after pressing the power switch up,  just release it and press it up again,  this will sequence the player down properly.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

SansaFix

There is another bug that really isn’t an inconvienince, but looks a bit ugly.

Deleting a video file will sometimes display a pure white screen after the deletion.  Pressing any button reveals the video menu.