True sync?

Is there a program that does a true sync? I love MediaMonkey, but it just copies the whole library to the device, doesn’t check tags or anything! I don’t really like Winamp, does it do true sync? Right now I’m using Windows Media Player in MTP mode. (Ugh) Is there any program that can do a true sync in MSC mode? Thanks!

I guess it depends on what you mean by “true sync”.  Winamp has a couple options for MSC syncing:

1. Sync entire library
  2. Auto-fill (fills up the player with random songs)
  3. Playlist sync (sync selected playists) 

I use option 3.  I have a number of large genre oriented playlists for shuffle playback as well as a Favorites playlists where I put whole albums.  In the portable preferences, I select which playlists I want to sync.

When syncing Winamp will notify you of any songs on the portable that are not part of the selected palylists and give you the option to delete them.  If Winamp finds any songs on the player that are not in the library, it gives you the option to add them.

I believe MediaMonkey has very similar syncing functionality, including the playlist based option.

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear on what I meant. I know Winamp has those 3 options, but does it just copy the library over, or does it check tags and update tags and things like that?

MediaMonkey sync’s pretty well. It checks the tags, and if they missmatch, the whole file is re-sync’d.

For me, MediaMonkey doesn’t do anything most of the time I connect my player, because my music didn’t change.

@gabe565 wrote:
Sorry, I wasn’t very clear on what I meant. I know Winamp has those 3 options, but does it just copy the library over, or does it check tags and update tags and things like that?

Winamp idenitfies songs by the tags.  So if song A has already been synced to the player and you then update tags on song A on your computer, the next time you try to sync Winamp will see song A as a new file to add to the player.  The previous version of the song already on the player will be treated as somthing that’s not in Winamp’s library and you have the option to delete it from the player or add it to the library.

I’m pretty sure MM works basically the same way.

Is that what you’re asking?

Message Edited by Skinjob on 09-07-2008 11:01 AM

Oh, OK, thanks!