Toggle cover art in Now Playing screen

I don’t know if it has been proposed before, but I couldn’t find it.

Anyway - it would be great to let us toggle the cover art display on the playback screen. I for one would prefer to have more text on the screen than a cover art (which is a default picture in most cases as I don’t really care for mp3 cover arts - I prefer to admire them on my cd shelf :wink: ). I think its much more convenient than having to wait until the full title scrolls.

How about that? ;]

cheers

Apparently you’re not alone . . . this has been suggested more than once. No word from SanDisk whether this is something they are/might consider, but just my observation . . .

No response = Not something they can (or want) to do.

Of course, I’ve been wrong before. :wink:

@riven wrote:

I don’t know if it has been proposed before, but I couldn’t find it.

Anyway - it would be great to let us toggle the cover art display on the playback screen. I for one would prefer to have more text on the screen than a cover art (which is a default picture in most cases as I don’t really care for mp3 cover arts - I prefer to admire them on my cd shelf :wink: ). I think its much more convenient than having to wait until the full title scrolls.

That would be a great feature.

Additionally, it would be great if both album and title info would scroll at the same time. If I want to know the movement of a classical recording with album=“Konzerte für Cembalo und Streicher BWV 1055·1056·1057·1058 (Pinnock, EC)” and title=“08 Konzert für Cembalo, 2 Blockflöten und Streicher F-Dur BWV 1057 - II. Andante”, I’ll die of boredom before I see the appropriate info. :smiley:

Come to think of it, could the scroll speed be made adjustable? The current speed is very very slow, settings for 2x and 3x the current speed would be great. This would not only help with the display of currently playing song, but also in the album/song lists. Actually this would be more important for me than the previous two features, as 3x scrolling speed would allow all information to be seen in a timely manner.

Ah yes, a classical fan :wink:

Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a simpler way to describe classical works.  With huge 12 inch LP covers, this was simple, but I have found that typical classical notations expose the limitations of the wee display, don’t they?

Same problem with the limitations of the venerable ID3 tag.  You will run into the artist versus composer versus the performing orchestra as well, ripping CDs.

I would love to see an automatic toggle to a smaller font if the field is longer than a specific number of characters, plus a faster scroll.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Darhak,you’re absolutely right, it is especially difficult to identify classical music!However, this seems to be an extreme example, while the fact that the cover picture is there at ALL times makes even medium-sized tags scroll, which I think is a waste of time.

This is something that seems plain and simple. Why wouldn’t they add (or rather… remove) this? It’s just a matter of disabling the picture! I can’t see how it could take much effort. Sansa devs, PLEASE consider this.

Changing the size of the fonts (why are they in bold anyway?) would also be nice to see.

This is an example of how additional features that are supposed to enhance usability end up diminishing it…

Message Edited by Riven on 11-18-2008 04:05 AM

@riven wrote:

This is something that seems plain and simple. Why wouldn’t they add (or rather… remove) this? It’s just a matter of disabling the picture! I can’t see how it could take much effort. Sansa devs, PLEASE consider this.

Many, many users _ WISH _ they had your problem! Just take a gander at all the “I, for the life of me can’t get the album art to display? What am I doing wrong?” posts here. :smiley:

But I’m not really talking about covers themselves. I’m talking about the lack of space - which is valid even if there is no cover. By the way - I’ve come up with the easiest possible solution - if you put a cover image into the folder, then let it be displayed. If not - disable this default picture, which serves no purpose except for taking space! That would be pretty logical.

I posted sometime ago that it would be nice to toggle to a full screen tag display, in the same way you can toggle to the spectrum analyzer or large album art.  Seems like that wouldn’t be too hard to implement.

It would be nice too if the choice stuck instead of reverting back to the standard display whenever the backlight goes off.

It’s a very minor annoyance I know, but it would be a nice enhancement.

Message Edited by Skinjob on 11-18-2008 05:35 PM

They also never fixed the fact that my artist name, album name and song titles don’t display the full ID3v2 tag.  If the song title (or album name or name of the singer) is too long the names get cut off after a certain number of characters.  Am I the only one still have this issue?

For example, a song by “Jean-Jacques Goldman, Carole Fredericks & Michaël Jones” will get cut off to “Jean-Jacques Goldman, Carole Fr”.  This bothers me to no end (and the same thing happens to long song titles and album names).  All my songs are tagedin ID3v2 (with ID3v1 and v3 disabled) and I still get this.  I assume it has something to do with my Fuze and I’m reall hoping this will be fixed.

@corilof wrote:

They also never fixed the fact that my artist name, album name and song titles don’t display the full ID3v2 tag.  If the song title (or album name or name of the singer) is too long the names get cut off after a certain number of characters.  Am I the only one still have this issue?

For example, a song by “Jean-Jacques Goldman, Carole Fredericks & Michaël Jones” will get cut off to “Jean-Jacques Goldman, Carole Fr”.  This bothers me to no end (and the same thing happens to long song titles and album names).  All my songs are tagedin ID3v2 (with ID3v1 and v3 disabled) and I still get this.  I assume it has something to do with my Fuze and I’m reall hoping this will be fixed.

It’s a known issue.  There is a tag size limit on the Fuze.  I forget exactly what the limit is, but I think it’s around 30.  Don’t know if there are any plans to address it or not.

I think that has todo with the song limit. As far as I understand the song database is kept completely in RAM with all ID3-Fields (that are treated by the Fuze). This seems to be a more or less fixed structure, so that for every song a fixed count of bytes is reserved, and for each ID3-Field in each song. Song max songs is fixed, max ID3-Field length etc. This kind of structures are really easy handled in software but waste a lot of space. Changing this involves, as sansafix somewhere said, a lot of work.

But adding the cover art display toggle most probably does not…

C’mon ;) 

Message Edited by Riven on 11-20-2008 04:35 AM