The device is not recognized by the computer

The page says that if the device is not recognized, it’s most likely failed, and no additional troubleshooting would be helpful. I reset the fuze to factory settings, without ever reformatting it, and it started to connect to the computer again.

@salsamesalvo wrote:
The page says that if the device is not recognized, it’s most likely failed, and no additional troubleshooting would be helpful. I reset the fuze to factory settings, without ever reformatting it, and it started to connect to the computer again.

I’m glad that you were able to get your player working again with only having to reset it, but I don’t know what page you are referring to.  There are always some troubleshooting steps that can be taken before the player is declared failed.  There are troubleshooting steps for the player with worse issues that not being recognized. 

I have the same problem (Windows 7) Sansa Fuse suddenly doesn’t show up on the computer. (2 computers). I tried to update the firmware, but will not because nothing appears to be connected. Checked the support suggested deleting some registry values, but still no change.

I can use the Player, but cannot load anything, I think it is still charging.

Please help.

Peter

Have you tried MSC mode (on your player)? Settings > System Settings > USB Mode.

Yes. I tried both MTP and MSC mode. Just to make sure I tried it again, both ways, no luck. Usually I hear a clik when I connect something to a USB port (as I did with Sansa on my old computer) . I hear the same when using a memory stick but nothing with Sansa.

Any suggestions?

Peter

Maybe your cord is bad? It could still charge but not make a data connection if the pins inside the plug are bent or a specific wire has broken.

For that matter, you might use a magnifying glass and inspect the Fuze’s bottom port for bent pins too.

I tried 2 Sansa connectors, both same result, tried to look the Fuze port, couldn’t see any obvious.

Peter

Did you check to make sure the contacts on the player are clean? Are you connecting it to a rear usb port if you are using a desktop, or if you are using a notebook pc are you plugging in the pc before connecting the player? Are you plugging the player directly into the pc without using a hub or usb extension cable? Did you try setting the usb mode on the player to MSC before trying to connect?

I check all these. It is a desktop, connected to the back throuh a hub, but other memory sticks etc are working fine. also I have another cable same result. Also to front port directly - same result…

The hub is dividing up the power coming from the port. Other USB devices may not need as much power as the Fuze. Try a direct connection to that back port.

Two problems with connecting through a hub. If the hub isn’t powered, then there is a maximum total cable length(I believe it is around 14 feet) for USB to function properly. An even bigger problem is that if anything that is just usb1 is plugged into the same hub, then the controller may revert to USB1, and the player won’t get enough power. Try connecting the player directly to a rear usb port without using the hub.

I connected directly to the back of the computer with the original cable which came wirh the Fuze. Still the same,no connection. Usually when I connect to a USB port there is aclick, which I don’t hear.

Peter

Did you try connecting directly without the hub with the player set to MSC mode? I guess the next thing to try is formatting the player using the player’s menu(assuming you have copies of the songs on the player on your pc). If you can’t connect after that, then you may need to forget about connecting. At least the player is still usable if you can charge it and can add content using a card.

Yes, I tried w/o the hub, no change. Now I reformatted it, lost all the music loaded (that’s OK), still the same. I can charge and use as a radio (the FM works). I guess that  the end of the trials.

I don’t think I have much chance but willing to try anything if .

Peter

Did you try using other computers?

yes, same result ( no result!0

As pointed out above, you could get get a microSD card and reader and just load that up from your computer, then use it in the slot. It’s not ideal, but you can still have lots of music.

Yes, I will do it. But i use it mostly for podcast, so i have to do it at least twice a week. But I won’t have a choice.

Did you try disconnecting all usb peripherals, then connecting the player to a rear usb slot? Just because nothing happens when you connect it doesn’t mean the pc isn’t seeing it. Try opening Windows explorer(right click on start, click on explore) and see if additional drives show up in windows explorer after connecting the player. Do you have a usb charger? If so you could try giving the player a long charge before trying to connect it to the pc.

Thanks, but I did all that. Connected directley, used both types of USB connections, none did anything. (drive didn’t show up).

Peter