The Fun starts tonite...your opinions on SDHC use?

I stopped by my computer guy yesterday to check on a small external hard drive to store my music, back up my computer etc. He talked me into buying a 500GB hard drive then told me if I waited until Friday afternoon he would load it with 400GB of MUSIC!!  I’ll start going through it all tonite and deleting probably tons of stuff I don’t want. I plan to listen to the Fuze roughly 60 hours a week(all day at work plus weekend listening). I’m thinking maybe loading the Fuze internal memory with my most favorites and loading several 8GB sdhc cards with different songs and change them out every two weeks. That should keep me from hearing the same songs over and over. Whatcha think? Would loading several cards work or do you have a better idea?

Sounds cool.  Or, if you have that much raw tunage, maybe put genre’s on the cards.  8 gigs of jazz or 8 gigs of metal is a whole lot of music.

I’m putting videos on the card.

As the new 16GB cards are still pretty expensive and the 8GB card prices are dropping like the proverbial stone, your logic makes the most sense.

The only thing I would suggest though, is to take a good look through all the ‘freebies’. There may be duplicates of some music you already have. Although there may also be additional albums by some of the same artists you already have. I would keep these together in their own ‘room’, whether it be internal memory or external SD card. It will make for far less confusion, both for you and the player. Also if you want to create playlists containing certain artists, all the music in the playlist must reside in the same place (int. memory or ext. card).

Blackdog’s suggestion of different genres per card is a good one if you like to listen to different types of music at different times. However, if you like variety and surprise with different types of music coming up in shuffle mode, then this might not be the way to go.

Best probably to take a look and see what you get first, then you’ll be able to figure out the best way to organize it. If it’s 400GB of African drum chants and Ecuadorian funeral dirges all ripped at 64kbps, I wouldn’t be too concerned with where it’s going to live. It’s not! :smiley:

bwahhhh-ha-ha-ha!

Ecuadorian funeral dirges!

TXmike:  Also, with all the talk here about miscelaneous strangeness with improper mp3 tag issues messign the player up—best to keep that stuff quarantined on its own cards completely until you are sure you have listened to it all and there is no weird stuff going on that will mess with your playlists or make the Fuze otherwise glitchy.

Hey…got any Ecuadorian funeral dirges you could share with us? 

The rare,splendid and coveted 1939 Alan Lomax:  Rural Central America Unplugged 125 -disc 78rpm boxed set.  (Boxed in Honduarn mahogany with bullrosh padding and replete with it’s own wheeled dolly.)

Message Edited by blackdog-sansa on 10-24-2008 09:10 PM

I guess the only downside is that every time you change a card, it will take several minutes to refresh the database and your Fuze will be unusable during that time. Don’t expect to just swap cards and start playing immediately.

true, dat.

@bdb wrote:
I guess the only downside is that every time you change a card, it will take several minutes to refresh the database and your Fuze will be unusable during that time. Don’t expect to just swap cards and start playing immediately.

Thanks for the reminder. I’ll probably change cards in the evenings when I’m not listening to it anyway. I now have TONS of music but most of it is M4A so I’m having to convert it.