The Best Idea in The World The Sansa Touch v.1

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
Here’s the thing, Sansa can’t compete with the iTouch. What I would like to see them do instead though, is make a small touch screen device with better movie capabilities and great music quality. It doesn’t need all this fancy stuff, a nice affordable PMP with a touch screen would be great. It wouldn’t be like the iTouch and would be a lot smaller and would be much more modern.

AMEN! My thing is like I said too many would get broken. I know I would have one the day it comes out, and it would be broken in a week because I would sit on it and so would many others. 

Yeah, that worries me too. But, it would be smaller and probably harder to break. If they made like leather cases more available for this item, it would prevent breakage I bet.

Touch screens aren’t as great as they’re hyped to be. It lacks tactile feedback which is essential in a portable media device. You don’t want to be forced to look at the screen every time you want to select an option. The touch screen’s strength is also its flaw. While a touch screen provides endless possibilities in user interfaces, it’s often overdone because of the sheer number of functions being crammed in. It’s also often counterintuitive which results in a horrible experience. If you combine a touchscreen with real buttons, the device becomes unnecessarily complicated. By nature, the screen will also have to be of a certain minimum size to accomodate your fingers otherwise it doesn’t work. This results in a large bulky player.

The popularity of the Touch has a lot to do with the apps and the iTunes app store, and the momentum of iPod popularity. Sandisk doesn’t have these advantages. “The best idea in the world” probably isn’t just copying a few aspects of some other player, anyway.

A small, affordable, touch screen player with great movie cababilities and great music quality is what Sansa could make. It doesn’t have to have all the apps and stuff if it’s done right.

Not an unreasonable replacement for the View if they were to discontinue it.

Is there such a thing as an “affordable” touch screen player? One that’s not a copyright infringement from overseas?

Well there is a player with great sound quality, awesome AMOLED touchscreen with Cornell Gorrila Glass protecting it, and with tons of amazing features, ability to write apps for it etc. for a reasonable(for a touchscreen) price. It’s called the Cowon S9. Check it out.

Message Edited by yelped on 02-28-2009 05:40 PM

@yelped wrote:
Well there is a player with great sound quality, awesome AMOLED touchscreen with Cornell Gorrila Glass protecting it, and with tons of amazing features, ability to write apps for it etc. for a reasonable(for a touchscreen) price. It’s called the Cowon S9. Check it out.
Message Edited by yelped on 02-28-2009 05:40 PM

I’m well aware of it…but I wouldn’t call it “affordable” like a Fuze or Clip. :wink:

You’re right, but for such a well-featured device, it is pretty reasonable, if not so affordable.

@yelped wrote:
You’re right, but for such a well-featured device, it is pretty reasonable, if not so affordable.

Yeah, I’m not bashing it at all, it is sweet.

Well yeah it will be a good idea but its better wait until sanDisk comes out with a unique program or feauture.

Sounds like you might get your wish: Sandisk Trademarks “Sansa Tap”

You would think a name like that would have to imply “touch”.

I’m personally not a fan of touch interfaces.  At least not for a DAP where I frequently do basic operations one-handed, without even having to look at the screen.  A touch interface means you have to actually look at the screen and most likely have to use both hands.

I guess if it was a video-centric PMP (maybe a replacement for the View?) it would make sense since you are presumably looking at the thing most of the time anyway.

@skinjob wrote:

Sounds like you might get your wish: Sandisk Trademarks “Sansa Tap”

You would think a name like that would have to imply “touch”.

I’m personally not a fan of touch interfaces.  At least not for a DAP where I frequently do basic operations one-handed, without even having to look at the screen.  A touch interface means you have to actually look at the screen and most likely have to use both hands.

I guess if it was a video-centric PMP (maybe a replacement for the View?) it would make sense since you are presumably looking at the thing most of the time anyway.

The Logo on that page is AWESOME! I would be willing to pay a bit extra to have that logo pop up and maybe play a little guiter riff everytime I turn it on… Now, If we could trun it up to 11 I will lose my mind

@skinjob wrote:

The Cowon S9 has Volume,Play/Pause, and Song (and Menu) Selection buttons along the top of the player, which makes it very useful for traveling, and for using it with one hand without looking.

Well I own an 8gb Fuze with an 8gb card. Recently picked up a 16gb Cowon D2 for $140. Add a 16gb SD card and I have a 32gb player for $180. How’s that for affordable? Put the hold switch on and you can use the hard buttons for basic navigation. Plus the D2+ has just been introduced with an upgraded UI. Considering it is the same hardware it should be simple to update the original D2 to the new firmware. When 32gb SD cards drop in price I’ll have a 48gb player. Put inside a crystal case it’s pretty slick and fairly well protected. Hopefully the firmware on the D2+ will have better video support as well. I’d imagine the new firmware would be a big upgrade since the hardware is pretty much the same. Hard to imagine an updated model who’s only real upgrade is some cool new colors.

Since both players have bad playlist support I’m keeping both until one of them comes up with some sort of OTF playlist you can actually save. The ToGo and DPL playlists are nice and all, but useless since you can’t save them and create new ones. If you could at least rename the file on your pc and start from scratch on the player, it’d be that much more useful. It’s sad when my old Rio Karma had more functionality than players so many generations ahead of it. 

Message Edited by dbpaddler on 03-02-2009 09:43 PM

Yes, I can see the pending trailer on your TV soon…

“This Is Sansa Tap!”

How about a cool guitar riff, strobes and smoke, and Lil Monsta turning the amp to 11!!

I don’t know, I prefer a mechanical interface personally.  Call me old school.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Yes, I can see the pending trailer on your TV soon…

“This Is Sansa Tap!”

How about a cool guitar riff, strobes and smoke, and Lil Monsta turning the amp to 11!!

I don’t know, I prefer a mechanical interface personally.  Call me old school.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

If they could make the volume screen look like a Marshal Amp… I may just spontaneously combust

haha, I’m glad you guys like my Sansa Tap image at dapreview! The Spinal Tap connection was the first thing I thought of when writing up the news. I was initially just going to post the boring screenshot of the trademark filing.

Anyway I really hope the Sansa Tap turns out to be something exciting!

-Michael

i wouldn’t mind testing it myself… :slight_smile: