Thank you Sansa for making a great priced, great product

@jk98 wrote:
Why do you need a second Fuze? Just curios. For the price, the Fuze is a great value. I wish Sandisk would come out with a new player that has more of the feauture I want though, especially folder navigation and a user replaceable battery(AA or AAA battery preferred). How about a premium Slotmusic player with a display and sound quality at least as good as the Fuze?

I thought of getting a second Sandisk player (not sure which one though) because I have some CD’s that I use to listen to to fall asleep to and this way I can keep that player by my bed and just listen to them and not have to swap out cards (I do that a lot all ready).  But I would like to choose which one to listen to and not sure if the Slotmusic player allows that… Although I considered using a card in my current one so I wouldn’t have to buy another one… but… I don’t know yet.

And wouldn’t a “premium slot player with display and good sound quality” be another name for fuze :wink:

I also love my Fuze.  I was looking at players and didn’t want to pay an extra $50 (at the time) for an ipod.  Plus I didn’t really want to buy into all the marketing.  It can’t be that much better can it?  Nope.  The name “SanDisk” actually sold it for me, as I had bought their flash sticks and they worked good and knew that there wouldn’t be much if any software to run it.  And with seeing the ipods of my coworkers, there is no contest.  Fuze is it.

"And wouldn’t a “premium slot player with display and good sound quality” be another name for fuze "

No. First of all, the slotmusic player uses a AAA battery. The Slotmusic player has no USB connection, and no radio. I don’t know how the Slotmusic player navigates.

@dpvdpv wrote:

I know a lot of people with ipods that would struggle with a Sansa.

it took me a couple of hours to figure my Fuze out and I had to download MM and figure out how to get podcasts, set-up my audiobooks, read through the manual, etc., etc.

ipod/itunes is one-stop and pretty much ■■■■■-proof.

I LOVE my Fuze, now.

my to do list:

1. start converting videos
  1. figure out how to get ipod video podcasts converted

Sansa is niche, why bother with all this when you can go ipod and not worry about any of this?

I’ve had my Sansa since Saturday and there is no point in ever going back to ipod/zune.

I agree.  I was an Ipod user, and still have my old 20 gig ipod.  I really miss the seemless software from itunes to ipod…it truley is a no brainer.  IMO, that is the ONLY thing Ipod has over most other players.  If someone could figure out how to make an MP3 player software as nice and compatible as Itunes is to Ipods…that would truly be an ipod killer.  MM is nice but I feel like I am writing software code just to get my Fuze to sync with podcasts, and lets not even talk about WM11, windows explorer is better than WM11.  So, yeah, I miss Itunes, but I like my fuze better than I like my ipod.

Why do you like non-rechargable battery (AAA) player ? It is so easy for Fuze to be charged through USB.

@jk98 wrote:
Why do you need a second Fuze? Just curios. For the price, the Fuze is a great value. I wish Sandisk would come out with a new player that has more of the feauture I want though, especially folder navigation and a user replaceable battery(AA or AAA battery preferred). How about a premium Slotmusic player with a display and sound quality at least as good as the Fuze?

"Why do you like non-rechargable battery (AAA) player ? "

Huh? One can use rechargeable AAA batteries if they want to, or have the option to use alkaline batteries.

“It is so easy for Fuze to be charged through USB.”

You assume that people have easy access to a pc, have the time to charge a player through a USB port, and remember to do so when their battery is low. Some people like to use a player in spurts, perhaps not using it for many days or weeks, then using it for many hours in a row. When someone suddenly wants to use the player for many hours in a row the player might not have enough charge and the person might not have enough time while at home with his pc to charge it. Having replaceable standard batteries adds greatly to the flexibility of use, and doesn’t require someone to plan in advance for anticipated use, or to keep track of battery life remaining. They just need to grab a few spare batteries and they are ready.

Theres a product with a AAA battery you can get,  called M200 series. 

If you design a player around a AAA battery it will be much thicker.

If you can grab a few spare batteries for your trip,  why not grab a DC charger with a USB port and connect up your cable to that?  No need for the computer.

Disposable batteries are bad for the environment.

LiPolymer batteries used in the newer Sansa Product last for hundreds and hundreds of cycles,  just think how many batteries would end up in landfills.

Think Green.

@sansafix wrote:

Theres a product with a AAA battery you can get,  called M200 series. 

If you design a player around a AAA battery it will be much thicker.

If you can grab a few spare batteries for your trip,  why not grab a DC charger with a USB port and connect up your cable to that?  No need for the computer.

Disposable batteries are bad for the environment.

LiPolymer batteries used in the newer Sansa Product last for hundreds and hundreds of cycles,  just think how many batteries would end up in landfills.

Think Green.

Completely agreed.  And to be even greener, wouldn’t it be nice to have an easy user-replaceable LiPolymer Battery, so we wouldn’t have to throw our Sansas away and buy new when (if) the battery dies…:wink:

If everybody does in this way, how can Sandisk make money from existed customer base ? Sandisk has to exit its MP3 player business pretty soon.

IPOD is even worse; not only is its battery non-replaceable, but also its memory is non-expandable. 

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Completely agreed.  And to be even greener, wouldn’t it be nice to have an easy user-replaceable LiPolymer Battery, so we wouldn’t have to throw our Sansas away and buy new when (if) the battery dies…:wink:

By the time your LiPolymer battery is unusable,  You will be using a completely different style of Player with much much higher capacity.

Much is made of the non removabilty of the battery.  You can buy an e200 or c200 series player if you want a removable LiOn battery.

To make the battery removable adds thickness and adds cost to the player.  It also introduces another connector which can fail.

Todays LiPolymer batteries are so much more durable than they used to be.  Its really not worth the costs to make the battery removable anymore.

@sansafix wrote:

By the time your LiPolymer battery is unusable,  You will be using a completely different style of Player with much much higher capacity.

Much is made of the non removabilty of the battery.  You can buy an e200 or c200 series player if you want a removable LiOn battery.

To make the battery removable adds thickness and adds cost to the player.  It also introduces another connector which can fail.

Todays LiPolymer batteries are so much more durable than they used to be.  Its really not worth the costs to make the battery removable anymore.

Of course you are right… but I’m an old fogey and I was taught as a child not to discard what still can be used.  Up until a few years ago, I rarely disposed of any of my audio gear.  Almost all of it is in still in perfect working condition.  And I’ve found a few people that eagerly purchased some of my vintage gear; as it’s fast becoming a popular hobby.

I’m still not used to this “throw-away” society; where we just dispose of things when they are no longer current or cannot to be made to work easily.

Even with the less robust built-in batteries of the past, I rarely had one fail before I was ready for a new player…so I think all of this concern over non-replaceable batteries is a bit unfounded.

But… It still pains me to throw out a device just needs a battery…:cry:

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 12-16-2008 12:43 PM

It’s time to get used to the “When the battery dies, throw away the whole thing” paradigm.  Apple seems to love this as well.

@jfencl wrote:
It’s time to get used to the “When the battery dies, throw away the whole thing” paradigm.  Apple seems to love this as well.

Nope…sorry…I will never get used to throwing away a device…just because it’s not the latest or greatest…or that parts or no longer being manufactered.

I know it’s a fact of life, but it doesn’t mean that I have to embrace the practice.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@jfencl wrote:

Nope…sorry…I will never get used to throwing away a device…just because it’s not the latest or greatest…or that parts or no longer being manufactered.

I know it’s a fact of life, but it doesn’t mean that I have to embrace the practice.

I completely agree.

Why would you have 2 Sansa Fuze’s? I have a Sansa E280 and a Sansa Fuze. My E280 is my “gardening” box, for digging in the yard, or taking for a long walk (and potentially dropping). Since I have the Fuze, I can now beat the ■■■■ out of the E280. The Fuze, on the other hand, puts me to sleep and sits where I can readily access it if I want to listen to Gardening with Ciscoe onm the radio or whatever.

In addition, if you have two players, you have two batteries, so if one of your player’s battery is dead, you have the other.

But on the other hand, if you want to use the iFeast, you definitely need an iPod!

(From The Onion store)

Message Edited by MyDD on 12-16-2008 01:15 PM

The Onion rules.

The m200 series doesn’t have a card slot though. The sound quality on the m200 series is also much lower than the Fuze.

“If you design a player around a AAA battery it will be much thicker.”

I have a player that uses a AAA battery. It is only around 50% thicker than the Fuze, but is smaller in the other two dimensions. It has only onr gig of storage though. I don’t mind a larger player, as long as it comfortably fits in a typical shirt pocket.

“If you can grab a few spare batteries for your trip,  why not grab a DC charger with a USB port and connect up your cable to that?  No need for the computer.”

That means carrying the device, plus 4 AA batteries. That is heavy and bulky. I also don’t like the idea of charging a battery from alkaline batteries. I don’t even know how well that would work. If a Fuze battery is down to zero, how much play time could one get from 4 AA alkaline batteries? I guess there is no way to run the player directly from alkaline batteries without recharging the internal battery? Carrying a small player and 2 spare AAA batteries is still quite easy. Players built around a AA battery and especially those built around a AAA battery are typically quite energy efficient. The screen on the Fuze probably consumes plenty of power. I guess the screen on the Clip uses much less energy than the screen on the Fuze. Perhaps a screen like that

would be good for a AA or AAA battery based player?

"Disposable batteries are bad for the environment. "

One can use rechargeable AA or AAA batteries. I do that for my digital camera which uses 4 AA batteries at a time. My old mp3 player gets around 18 hours of play on a single AAA alkaline, so I use alkaline batteries with it.

“LiPolymer batteries used in the newer Sansa Product last for hundreds and hundreds of cycles,  just think how many batteries would end up in landfills.”

Nimh rechargeable AA and AAA batteries also last for many cycles. The difference is that they are very inexpensive, easy to replace, and up to 4 at a time can be charged in an inexpensive wall charger. Ever since throwing away an electric toothbrush many years ago since its battery couldn’t hold an adequate charge, I have had a great dislike for items that have a built in rechargeable battery.

“Think Green”

How green is it to throw away a player just because its battery no longer holds an adequate charge?

I want to use a AA or AAA battery not just to avoid this, but to also avoid running out of power, and to be able to carry spare batteries for my player, and not have to remember to charge the player when the battery is low. If I use nimh rechargeable batteries, I could charge up to 4 at a time. Some chargers take only 15 minutes to do this, while many others take around an hour.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-16-2008 05:31 PM

Theres a simple AC adapter that connects to the Wall and has a USB output connector.  You plug your Sansa Cable in to that and connect it to your player.  You dont need to bring any batteries with you.

Your electric toothbrush used NiCad batteries most likely and yes they wear out after not many cycles.

The whole point here is LiPolymer batteries dont have the same endurance problems of the past.

Some people want a AAA based player design. The Fuze and Clip are not it.  They are designed to be recharged, and will last a long time.

Message Edited by sansafix on 12-16-2008 03:27 PM

I think the price point of the Fuse is okay for a non-replaceable built-in battery.  After a few year, I will be looking at a cheaper, more flash, thinner, and lighter player anyway.  I know it is bad for the environment, but we are just human.  :smiley:

@jk98 wrote:

I don’t know how the Slotmusic player navigates.

By folder\filename, alphabetically.  Wraps back to the first song after the last one.  Naming files “01-…”, “02-…” lets you set the order you want.

@shlurpee wrote:

@dpvdpv wrote:

I know a lot of people with ipods that would struggle with a Sansa.

it took me a couple of hours to figure my Fuze out and I had to download MM and figure out how to get podcasts, set-up my audiobooks, read through the manual, etc., etc.

ipod/itunes is one-stop and pretty much ■■■■■-proof.

I LOVE my Fuze, now.

my to do list:

1. start converting videos

2. figure out how to get ipod video podcasts converted

Sansa is niche, why bother with all this when you can go ipod and not worry about any of this?

I’ve had my Sansa since Saturday and there is no point in ever going back to ipod/zune.

I agree.  I was an Ipod user, and still have my old 20 gig ipod.  I really miss the seemless software from itunes to ipod…it truley is a no brainer.  IMO, that is the ONLY thing Ipod has over most other players.  If someone could figure out how to make an MP3 player software as nice and compatible as Itunes is to Ipods…that would truly be an ipod killer.  MM is nice but I feel like I am writing software code just to get my Fuze to sync with podcasts, and lets not even talk about WM11, windows explorer is better than WM11.  So, yeah, I miss Itunes, but I like my fuze better than I like my ipod.

I completely DISAGREE I HATE ITUNES!!! IT IS THE MUSIC DEVIL EMBODIED… The reason I love sansa with all the extra work can be described in one File extention… mp3… I hate the idea of proprietary music files from the itunes store, the same for my movies and TV shows… This is why I bought my first sansa. I was selling electronics at the time and spent alot of time researching the products on the market. I sent my customers to the Zune and my friends to Sansa (At the time the e200 or connect). It would have been easier and more conveniant to buy the iPod but I like my music my way. And now its too late to change… I have 10,000 songs, that would talke Itunes forever to deal with.