Highlighted

Re: Text Reader for Sansa Fuze :-)

Irfanview (irfanview.com), the Windows freeware image viewer, will display txt files... which can then be saved as gif/png/jpg files. 

You would need to experiment with font size (in Iview properties) and the amount of text per 'page' (using a text editor).  Once you have chopped it into a bunch of suitably sized text files then you should be able to use Iview's 'batch mode' to convert them into a series of images, which can then be viewed on the Fuze

(you might even be able to automate it if you could figure out how to wordwrap the text orrectly and save every 'x' lines as a new file... something for the macro geeks to think about)

8Gb Sansa Fuze (full of music) + 4Gb uSD (full of podcasts)
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

I tried something like that with just word and paint or something.  And it was a pain.  Easier if it converted it for me.

I know, I can be picky.

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:32 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@TomJensen wrote:

Geez, you guys ever thought about just jotting it down on a post-it note?

"Oh yah, sure, lemme just write a script so I can do wordwrap so I can convert text files to jpgs so I can load it onto a 1.9" screen so I can squint at it.. "

Bifocals won't be too soon for you folks.

Ah, so it is a health concern on part of SanDisk.. Smiley Happy And all that time I'd thought it was just a sloppy design..

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:32 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Etoja wrote:

@TomJensen wrote:

"Oh yah, sure, lemme just write a script so I can do wordwrap so I can convert text files to jpgs so I can load it onto a 1.9" screen so I can squint at it.. "

Ah, so it is a health concern on part of SanDisk.. :smileyhappy: And all that time I'd thought it was just a sloppy design..

With Obamacare someone has to have our health in their best interest. Sandisk is indeed concerned about all of our senses:

• They lower the volume with firmware to save our ears/hearing.
  • They purposely don't put a text reader on their devices for fear we'll harm our sight.
  • They don't make a touch-screen as they don't want us to lose our tactile feel of buttons and objects.
  • They don't perfume the plastic casing or put on a 'scratch & sniff' backplate to offend or taint our sense of smell.
  • And everything they do put into these wee packages is so we can enjoy some tasty tunes!

:smileytongue:

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@Tapeworm wrote:

@Etoja wrote:

@TomJensen wrote:

Ah, so it is a health concern on part of SanDisk.. :smileyhappy: And all that time I'd thought it was just a sloppy design..

With Obamacare someone has to have our health in their best interest. Sandisk is indeed concerned about all of our senses:

• They lower the volume with firmware to save our ears/hearing.
  • They purposely don't put a text reader on their devices for fear we'll harm our sight.
  • They don't make a touch-screen as they don't want us to lose our tactile feel of buttons and objects.
  • They don't perfume the plastic casing or put on a 'scratch & sniff' backplate to offend or taint our sense of smell.
  • And everything they do put into these wee packages is so we can enjoy some tasty tunes!

:smileytongue:

OK, OK, you've won!  :smileyhappy: I must admit it is a nice little thing in spite of all .. Speaking about text readers - I just received a nice Hanvon eBook reader and enjoying my ebooks on a really BIG screen!  :smileywink:

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@TomJensen wrote:
Me, I'm thinking that some peeps never got their Nerd merit badge in Cub Scouts and are now trying to make up for lost time.

You probably ment "Nerd merit badger"? I've got a skin of one hanging on my wall. As to Cub Scouts - in our part of the jungle we've been told to seek and destroy them as soon as poss, as they are very dangerous animals..

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:21 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

There's a new merit badge for video games.

Ah, how things have changed.  Was there ever a merit badge with a slide rule on it?  I feel like I'm in an alternate universe.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy