Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Text Reader for Sansa Fuze :-)

Hello there, SanDisk Fuze firmware developers! Any chance of including a text reader in a future (if any) firmware upgrade for Fuze?

Would be nice to read some short annotations which I keep in my folders together with mp3s and small articles - it works so nice in RockBox with white fonts on the black background!

(I know, I know, I wrote about it a couple updates ago - but it would't hurt to remind to those in charge - there is a demand for such a feature.  :-) )

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Text Reader for Sansa Fuze :-)

[ Edited ]

To fully experience a text reader on the wee screen, you will need some glasses like these:

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-22-2010 01:41 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

but Bob, how is a dog going to help?
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

My Australian shepherd is quite helpful, actually, as he keeps me company while I listen to books.  The Sansa's screen can display text relatively sharp, as long as the font works well.  It's just so very small.  Rockbox's default font is very small.

If you want to see what the screen is capable of, starting the device with the Hold switch locked will show you.  The "system shutdown" message is white against a black background.  On the e200 series devices, with a separate hold switch, this message is more commonly seen.  The Fuze, with its integrated switch, is a different case.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

new owner of an 8 gig fuze, very happy with it

my 2 cents: i've read novels on a PDA while on the train. it's not that hard if you're determined Smiley Tongue i too would like a text reader Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The dog is there just for fun.  The chihuahua with his/her coke bottle glasses was alot cuter. Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Yeah, I liked the Chihuahua best, but the site hosting the image didn't like links to other sites.  I don't think a few hundred views at most would worry them, but I tried two alternate links unsuccessfully, and settled on the alternate image.

Bob  Smiley Wink

Highlighted

I have podcasts with tracklistings tagged into the 'Comments' tags. It would be great to be able to access this text on the fuze
Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

[ Edited ]

curlyhairedboy, I doubt you will be able to read novels on a Fuze and enjoy it - the screen is too small. :-) Nothing is better than a dedicated ebook reader with e-ink screen. But Fuze screen (as implemented in RockBocks) looks OK for a small articles, references, play descriptions and address lists.

It is OK especially  when optimized with larger font - being a near-sighted person I still can read some articles without problems. 

It is beyond my comprehension why SunDisk are capable to push their SlotRadio thingy while ignoring the real selling point for their product. I know, for instance, some people who would be happy with Fuze if such a feature were implemented. Meanwhile those potential customers go for another brands..

@curlyhairedboy wrote:

new owner of an 8 gig fuze, very happy with it

my 2 cents: i've read novels on a PDA while on the train. it's not that hard if you're determined Smiley Tongue i too would like a text reader Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by Etoja on 04-25-2010 05:28 AM
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

I think a text reader would be great.  I watched movies on my Fuze and can read the album info. I read texts on my cell phone and it's fine for me.  My cellphone screen is only about 1/2 inch wider and the same highth

I'm actually looking at new cellphones with document readers (pdf, word, etc).  However, I wouldn't mind having them on the Fuze either. 

I think students might like it too, to help with studying.