Temperature changes bad for battery/Fuze?

Hello,

I live in New York, so if I want to take my Fuze out of the house it’s subject to winter temperatures (anywhere from 10-32 degrees Farenheit). Usually, it’s only for about 15 minutes while I clean off my car and wait for the heat to kick on. I’ve heard conflicting reports on this but will it damage my Fuze and its battery to take it with me during this season? If my battery’s ability to hold a charge were damaged, what would I have to do? Thanks!

7th

Cold temperatures won’t permanently damage the battery. Keeping the player at high temperatures for long periods of time will permanently damage the battery. In cold weather it is best to keep the player below your coat close to your body. If the player gets too cold, the battery might not put out enough power for the player to play, and the player might not play again until it warms up. It won’t permanently damage the player though. I guess operating a hard drive based player in very cold temperatures might damage it. Not so for flash memory based players.

PS. I noticed one website that says that lion batteries should not be frozen. They freeze at around -40 C, which is also coincidentally -40 F.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-20-2008 12:10 PM

A more likely danger is getting melted snow (i.e. water) into the player and shorting something out.  So long as the player is well protected from that, you should be fine.

@jk98 wrote:

PS. I noticed one website that says that lion batteries should not be frozen. They freeze at around -40 C, which is also coincidentally -40 F.

I remember listeing to Dr Carl on radio and he said that neg 40 is where the two tempreture schemes cross over so the conversation could go like this:

“Lion batterys freeze at negative 40 degrees”

“Is that celsius or fahrenheit?”

“Yes”

@jk98 wrote:

Cold temperatures won’t permanently damage the battery. Keeping the player at high temperatures for long periods of time will permanently damage the battery. In cold weather it is best to keep the player below your coat close to your body. If the player gets too cold, the battery might not put out enough power for the player to play, and the player might not play again until it warms up. It won’t permanently damage the player though. I guess operating a hard drive based player in very cold temperatures might damage it. Not so for flash memory based players.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-20-2008 12:10 PM

Although the specifications vary from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer; but according to a li-po engineering friend I have says that short term storage of a li-po battery is generally safe up to 150 degrees F.  Damage and/or fire could happen with this battery technology at 170 degrees F.

"“Although the specifications vary from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer; but according to a li-po engineering friend I have says that short term storage of a li-po battery is generally safe up to 150 degrees F.  Damage and/or fire could happen with this battery technology at 170 degrees F.”

While keeping the battery at 140 F(60 C) probably won’t cause a fire or the battery to explode, if it is kept fully charged at that temperature, the battery will permanently lose 40% of its capacity in just 3 months.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

@jk98 wrote:

"“Although the specifications vary from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer; but according to a li-po engineering friend I have says that short term storage of a li-po battery is generally safe up to 150 degrees F.  Damage and/or fire could happen with this battery technology at 170 degrees F.”

While keeping the battery at 140 F(60 C) probably won’t cause a fire or the battery to explode, if it is kept fully charged at that temperature, the battery will permanently lose 40% of its capacity in just 3 months.

True…But I don’t (nor my engineering friend) consider 3 months short term storge; that is more like long term storage…:stuck_out_tongue:

PS. I wouldn’t call batteryuniversity the total expert on battery operation and design, either.  Since my friend’s occupation is testing and designing batteries, I will take his advice over any publication, where the authors are not known to me.

But… You may have a different opinion.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 12-21-2008 08:41 AM

It doesn’t mean that one should be afraid of using the mp3 player outdoors on a hot day for a few hours, however they shouldn’t leave the player in a parked car in the summer, and they shouldn’t take the player into a sauna or steam room. They shouldn’t leave the player outdoors in the summer sun.

"PS. I wouldn’t call batteryuniversity the total expert on battery operation and design, either.  Since my friend’s occupation is testing and designing batteries, I will take his advice over any publication, where the authors are not known to me.

But… You may have a different opinion."

On the bottom of the page it says

" About the Author
Isidor Buchmann is the founder and CEO of Cadex Electronics Inc., in Vancouver BC. Mr. Buchmann has a background in radio communications and has studied the behavior of rechargeable batteries in practical, everyday applications for two decades. Award winning author of many articles and books on batteries, Mr. Buchmann has delivered technical papers around the world.
Cadex Electronics is a manufacturer of advanced battery chargers, battery analyzers and PC software. For product information please visit www.cadex.com."

Does you friend have 20+ years experience in the rechargeable battery field?

@jk98 wrote:
"PS. I wouldn’t call batteryuniversity the total expert on battery operation and design, either.  Since my friend’s occupation is testing and designing batteries, I will take his advice over any publication, where the authors are not known to me.

But… You may have a different opinion."

On the bottom of the page it says

" About the Author
Isidor Buchmann is the founder and CEO of Cadex Electronics Inc., in Vancouver BC. Mr. Buchmann has a background in radio communications and has studied the behavior of rechargeable batteries in practical, everyday applications for two decades. Award winning author of many articles and books on batteries, Mr. Buchmann has delivered technical papers around the world.
Cadex Electronics is a manufacturer of advanced battery chargers, battery analyzers and PC software. For product information please visit www.cadex.com."

Does you friend have 20+ years experience in the rechargeable battery field?

Yes and then some…thank you very much