Tagging mp3 files correctly

Is there anyway to tag a file so that if you go by ARTIST or ALBUM…only the song name shows up…but if you go by SONG…it shows the Artist - Song Name in the music list? I tried every combo of naming the files in the properties…seems you can only have song name only…or artist - song name only.

I’m not sure if I’m following correctly, but you want to go straight to song names after choosing ARTIST or ALBUM on a song name? Why don’t you just go to SONGS? I like the fact that when choosing ARTIST (then choose which artist you want), it goes to album names rather than songs to keep the song list to a minimum for faster scrolling to whichever song list I’m trying to pull up. 

Another quick way to see a song list of a particular artist is to click the PLAY ALL option ( instead of the artist’s album name) and as soon as the first song is playing click the menu button ( 6 o’clock on the scroll wheel) and choose the BACK TO MUSIC LIST option. It’ll list all the songs of that artist only. HTH if that’s what you were trying to do. 

No, you can’t do that.

You would have to include the artist’s name in the title field to get it to show up with the song’s title. It would then show up all the time, which would give you these long song names and cause more problems than you want.

yeah…that’s what I figured…you have to have it one way or the other…I’m just used to seeing “artist - track title” on my old MP3 player in the song list…but wanted to keep it just to track name when browsing Album or Artist.

It’s still weird though…cuz even if you change the file name on the file itself…it has to be exactly correct in the Properties to show up right. 

@vice86 wrote:

It’s still weird though…cuz even if you change the file name on the file itself…it has to be exactly correct in the Properties to show up right. 

Sansa’s firmware doesn’t use the filename at all in its display.

yep…i finally figured out where the text has to be correct for it to show up right on the Fuze…I have a lot of editing to do for some folders…lol…PITA I tell ya!

@vice86 wrote:
yep…i finally figured out where the text has to be correct for it to show up right on the Fuze…I have a lot of editing to do for some folders…lol…PITA I tell ya!

Give www.mp3tag.de/en/ a try. It has saved me a LOT of time.