System settings question and suggestion

Under System settings, there is a volume section with low and high settings. I can’t tell a difference when selecting either can anyone else? Using firmware v1.01.11.

One feature I would like to see in the next firmware is volume leveling. I have some songs that I can barely hear with the volume set to 50% and some that will make my ears bleed at the same level. 

denzilla wrote:

Under System settings, there is a volume section with low and high settings. I can’t tell a difference when selecting either can anyone else? Using firmware v1.01.11.

One feature I would like to see in the next firmware is volume leveling. I have some songs that I can barely hear with the volume set to 50% and some that will make my ears bleed at the same level.  

that has to do with your songs, not the player. Are you getting your stuff from limewire or other p2p services? probably.

If you get a cd, rip it through wmp (or itunes or whatever) all of the volume at 50% sounds (for the most part) the same. If music quality is a concern for you, i suggest making copies of your own music.

denzilla wrote:

that has to do with your songs, not the player. Are you getting your stuff from limewire or other p2p services? probably.

If you get a cd, rip it through wmp (or itunes or whatever) all of the volume at 50% sounds (for the most part) the same. If music quality is a concern for you, i suggest making copies of your own music.

ACTUALLY , all my music is ripped from CDs I OWN or purchased from Amazon’s Music store. I appreciate you accusing me of stealing without any justification…

CDs can be mastered at different volume levels so what you’re saying isn’t correct.I could use WMP built-in audio normalization but its going to take a long time with 1127 songs. Even iPods have audio leveling built-in. 

Message Edited by denzilla on 04-03-2008 09:22 AM

I didnt realize some people were so sensitive about getting music from p2p. My apologies

Only reason I said so is because I experience the same thing, more drasticly in my car. This was remedied when I resorted to ripping my stuff through wmp.

doesn’t matter where you get your music from, dB levels are dependent on the actual file. Cd’s will also have that problem depending on the type of music and the amount of diversity in dynamics.

You can try using programs that normalize volume of the music file (do a google search on mp3 volume normalize / maximize).  however these algorythms do not do well if a file has a diverse amount of dynamics (very low volume parts and very high volume parts).

the more advanced approach is to get an audio editor and manually edit the dB levels of the file. Some editors have filters and effects where you can increase low dB areas and decrease high dB areas.  than just apply normalization and the overall file should be pretty “maxed” out in volume.

But forwarned: if the original source is maxed (the mp3 file in this case) and the more the dB modifier (the volume dial) is increased, your likely to get  distortion or overload when you listen. so if you do decide to edit the dB levels, find a good balance, and also be prepared to do it to all your music files, if your goal is to listen to your collection without having to touch the volume dial.

this has been classified under the too much effort category

Your post was worded like you’re were making accusations and “holier than thou”, so to speak. My apologies for taking you the wrong way :slight_smile:

Anyway, all of that is just way too much to have to go through and I’m not too crazy about altering the actual file. A feature upgrade for the player would be ideal. 

Does the low/high volume option under system setting make a difference to anyone else? It doesn’t appear to have an affect.

Message Edited by denzilla on 04-03-2008 01:36 PM

All,

In the normal setting the maximum output volume is set to a lower limt than High.

If you switch you wont hear the difference immediately, since it just changes the limit.

Please start by placing the setting to high and the volume in the midpoint.  Then drop the setting to normal and the see that the volume setting appears above the midpoint, and will reach a limit sooner. 

Understood, thanks :slight_smile: