Synchonization Means Clumsy Operation

With my Fuze set up for synchronization with my PC, it write anything and everything it can find under My Music to the Fuze.  Just trying to add ONE playlist of 10 songs ate up half the memory on the card and included items I did not want on the device.

Then when deleting these, the memory depleats even further.  I had to re-format to get rid of this stuff and then it started to sync all over again.

So my only recourse was to stop the sync on hook up.  But when it’s time to load something I want, I have to use Start Sync and remember to STOP manually when only the items I want are complete.

Seems rather clumsy to me to have to interrupt a process I never wanted in the first place.

How do I simply add the playlists I want and nothing more?

Mike

are you using windows media player to sync the files? if so it sounds like you have it set to automatically sync your library to the device. turn off automatic sync in windows media player and you should be good to go.

Yes, WMP is being used.  I have already turned off automatic setting.  But here’s the recurring problem.  In order to “save” a playlist to Fuze, I move it into the drag items area under sync tab and I have to click Start Sync.  If I don’t watch that process, when it gets done with my playlist it begins down the list of all sorts of other items and can copy unwanted stuff my Fuse.

For me, Start Sync in the Sync tab is the only way in WMP for me to send files to the Fuze.  I don’t see any other drag and drop or save feature that bypasses “sync.”

Mike

Frustrating isn’t it?

Asked and answered already :>)

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=4353#M4353

If MSC mode is an option, Winamp and MediaMonkey are much better.

That happens with mine too with the newest firmware update it seems.  The old one didn’t do it.

Yes the sync on connecting is on manual. 

And no I don’t want to use another program, I have enough programs to deal with and learn.

So I just watch and stop sync.  I was gonig to ask but didn’t since it is doable and there is a workaround.  However, it would be nice to have a fix.  Maybe someone else knows how to fix this.

Thanks to all.  Will try the MSC position. 

The problem I’ve had in the past is that when you load a playlist, all you see in Explorer is the wpl file.  No visibility into the contents.   So I guess it’s a case of managing the playlists in WMP and dragging them in.

Mike

@skinjob wrote:

They’re better even when using MTP.  ;)  My only complaint about Winamp is that you can’t set it up to sync Smart Views as playlists.  And my only complaint with MediaMonkey is that it can’t see a microSD card when it’s in the player.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@skinjob wrote:

They’re better even when using MTP.  ;)  My only complaint about Winamp is that you can’t set it up to sync Smart Views as playlists.  And my only complaint with MediaMonkey is that it can’t see a microSD card when it’s in the player.

True, but I usually steer MTP users away from Winamp because of the confilcts with WMP11 in MTP mode.  And if I’m not mistaken, MM doesn’t support the external memory slot in MTP mode.  In MSC mode, neither of these are a problem.

@skinjob wrote:

True, but I usually steer MTP users away from Winamp because of the confilcts with WMP11 in MTP mode.  And if I’m not mistaken, MM doesn’t support the external memory slot in MTP mode.  In MSC mode, neither of these are a problem.

What are the conflicts?  I’ve alternated between WMP11 and Winamp using MTP, without a problem, though not with the Fuze.

Can MM see a microSDHC card while it’s in the Fuze, in MSC mode?  If so, that’s pretty cool.  I have a Sansa Connect and a Sirius Stiletto 2, both of which have expansion card slots but cannot be set to MSC mode.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 11-02-2008 04:45 PM

I find syncing to be just great.  When you sync, MP makes what is in your fuse the same as what is in your library if there is enough memory.  That is the purpose syncing.  If you watch the status, it is deleting anything that is no longer in your library from the Fuze, adding any new items and updating changed tags.  I had to stop MP from monitoring my photos and videos as it would try to sync those too.  I use 64k WMA files so my entire library fits.  Sound fine to me.  I’ll have to play with play lists and see how that works.  I assume that they are to play specific songs from your library.  Even in MTP mode, the player shows up in Windows explorer.  I drag and drop book files to audiobooks that way.  Wonder if you could drop playlists that way?  I’ll have to explore that one.  For complete control, don’t use mtp mode.

I tried using the MSC mode but could not drag and drop a WMP playlist onto the My Playlists folder.  The only folders showing for the Fuze drive in Windows Explorer are the top level items - PlayAll, Recently Added, Music, etc.  I can’t get below Music to My Playlists.

What gives?

Mike

@mrhagerty wrote:

I tried using the MSC mode but could not drag and drop a WMP playlist onto the My Playlists folder.  The only folders showing for the Fuze drive in Windows Explorer are the top level items - PlayAll, Recently Added, Music, etc.  I can’t get below Music to My Playlists.

What gives?

Mike

Two things:

1. MCS mode requires m3u style playlists.  MTP mode requires pla playlists, which don’t work in MSC mode (and viceversa).
  2. The Playlists folder only works in MTP mode.  In MSC mode, put your m3u playlists in the root or MUSIC folder.

Thanks for the info.  I’ll stick with MTC and syncing

Mike