Switching from MTP to MSC ?

I have a Fuze 4G so I’ll put this question here.

How do I switch from MLT to MSC mode?  I have been using WMP V.11 to sync files and I really don’t like that method.  I’d like to just reformat (if necessary) and go strictly to MSC mode (or at least I think I do).

I have all my mp3 files on my computer harddrive, each in a folder carrying the name of the artist.  I’d like it to be this way on the Fuze and where I can select a playlist, so to speak, by just selecting the folder I want to play.  In other words, my folder names automatically become playlists.  That’s how I play the files on my computer and that’s how I’d like to play them on my Fuze.  None of this business of having to create playlists or albums or genre’s.

Can I do that in MSC mode?  If not, would I at least be able to drag and drop, using Windows Explorer, several of my named computer folders to the Music folder?

Right now, when I tell the Fuze to display folders, it displays albums.  Hardly any of my files have an album name internally so that ■■■■■ big time!  Would MSC mode at least display my folder names and allow me to select a folder for play?  Why did Sansa hijack the term “Folder”?  A FOLDER is a FOLDER; I could have mp3 files from a dozen ALBUMS in a single FOLDER!!!  (could it possibly be that WMP is the one that is making folder names = to the album names?  If that is the case then I apolozize to Sansa!)

Lastly, would there be any disadvantages in going to MSC mode?

Yes, start again in MSC. The only conceivable use for WMP is for music with DRM garbage that has to be transferred via MTP.

I would guess that WMP is making the folders, since its fascistic proto-brain likes to rename things.  If you use MSC mode, the folders will be the same ones you drag-and-drop from your computer. 

I assume you have already updated to the latest firmware on the Fuze so that Folder is listed under Music under the other options like Album, Artist, etc. That’s exactly the navigation you are describing. 

The mode (MTP or MSC) can be switched in SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETTINGS > USB MODE on your Fuze.

On additional thought, you’re using a pretty crude method. You really should look into ID3 tags and think about using them to give yourself more flexibility.

For instance, folder navigation, with everything in a folder, will play your songs in order of filename. That’s fine if your files start with the track number and a leading zero–01-First Song, etc.–but not if they go 1-First Song (which will play 1-First Song and then 11-Eleventh Song) or the files are just song titles, in which case they will play in alphabetical order (Eighth Song,  Fifth Song, First Song, Fourth Song, Ninth Song, Second Song, Seventh Song, Sixth Song, Third Song). 

Whereas if you have an album nicely tagged using mp3tag, you could go to Artist and Play All and it would play each album through. (Though it would play the albums in alphabetical order by album title). 

Just a thought. If you’re really dedicated to folder navigation and do have good filenames, you should be good to go using MSC mode anyway. 

My filenames are like this: “Patsy Cline - Crazy”.  Always artist name followed by name of the music.  I have all of her songs in a folder named (guess what)  “Patsy Cline”.  When I want to play her songs I could care less what order they are played in.  (I like the anticipation of waiting to get to the good ones)

My classical music is divided up into several folders with names indicating what type of classical music it is (where ‘type’ is defined as being my different moods)

Would MSC mode totally ignore what identification info might, or might not, be inside the files?  I hope so!  And, I can in no way identify any of my files by what album they might have come from.  I haven’t the foggiest idea what album they started out in.

Thanks everyone - just reformatted my fuze and switched it to MSC mode.

@mikeinkaty wrote:

Would MSC mode totally ignore what identification info might, or might not, be inside the files?  I hope so!  And, I can in no way identify any of my files by what album they might have come from.  I haven’t the foggiest idea what album they started out in.

Thanks everyone - just reformatted my fuze and switched it to MSC mode.

No. Unless you navigate by folder ‘only’, the player will still look for and display the ID3 tag info, MSC mode or not.

So while this might be a convenient means of navigation for you, Black-Rectangle makes a valid point and I would follow his suggestion to get your tags in order. MP3TAG, a free dedicated tagging program can ease the pain of doing your whole collection.

Gees!  Why didn’t I do MSC first!  I got so frustrated with WMP I could have thrown my computer out the window!

Now everything is in folder names and I am one happy fellow!  And, I’ve got about 150 meg more room on the internal space!  Also, it’s now reporting the correct number of photo’s!  (all my grandchildren)

Almost all of my files were obtained by auto download from shoutCast FM stations.  I once left the program running for 48 or so hours with it tuned to about 20 stations and wound up with about 150 gig worth of files.  Since artist name was part of the file name, I used SEARCH to pull out all the artists I was interested in and moved them to named folders.

ps - i’m a 67 year old grandpa and rather set in my ways, as you can tell.  But that said, I’m now listening to Womanizer and “You want a Piece of Me” is next"! 

Thanks again

Mike

@mikeinkaty wrote:

Gees!  Why didn’t I do MSC first!  I got so frustrated with WMP I could have thrown my computer out the window!

Because this allows you to appreciate MSC mode all the more. Everybody has to go through the trials & tribulation of WMP & MTP mode first. It’s like an initiation or ‘paying your dues’.

@mikeinkaty wrote:

ps - i’m a 67 year old grandpa and rather set in my ways, as you can tell.  But that said, I’m now listening to Womanizer and “You want a Piece of Me” is next"! 

You GO, Gramps! :stuck_out_tongue:

@mikeinkaty wrote:

Because this allows you to appreciate MSC mode all the more. Everybody has to go through the trials & tribulations of WMP & MTP mode first. It’s like an initiation rite or ‘paying your dues’.

@mikeinkaty wrote:

You GO, Gramps! :stuck_out_tongue:

I did get that MP3TAG program and started tagging last night.  Since all my files are in folders by artist name I just did a block change making the artist name the same for each folder and also made the album name the same as the artist name.  I also gave a consistent name for Genre for all files in a folder.  Any idea what Genre the artist YANNI would be in?

This will help considerably in the player.  Previously it was showing a hundred different album names and multiple names for a given artist due to mis-spellings, etc.

Thanks to whomever for giving me that link!

Another question.  Now that I’m in MSC mode, how can I make playlists to put in the playlist folder?  I have several folders that contain, like, the most pupular tunes by an artist.  Some of these folders I like to play the music in order of sales.

Got it figured out.  I created a playlist with Winamp then edited the file and stripped off any reference to folder names then dropped that file into the music folder it pertained to.  i.e. -

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:269,Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune
Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune.mp3
#EXTINF:348,Edward Grieg - Peer Gynt Suite No. 1
Edward Grieg - Peer Gynt Suite No. 1.mp3
#EXTINF:324,Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini
Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a theme by Paganini.mp3

This way the playlist(s) will always go to the Fuze whenever I copy a folder.

“I’m now listening to Womanizer and “You want a Piece of Me” is next”! "

…careful when you get to “If You Seek Amy.”