Suggestions for Future Fuze Firmware Update

I think walpapers and clours are not as important as functionality:

What I really need is a fuze, that can play videos not generated by SMC. SMC is really a pain and many people are complaining about it. Using a documented format for videos, there would be no need to use SMC anymore.

struct

the ability to sort by year (like we can for albums, genre, etc.)

@clieos wrote:

2) When the Fuze is connect to coimputer, make the screen auto turns off after certain time frame (lets say 15 seconds) if it is in idle (like in charging). Only turns the screen back on if it is on sync/ file transfer.

I agree with this, that’s why with both my Clip and Fuze I charge with wall chargers. I connect only to add/remove content. :smiley:

oh and another one:

it’s always bothered me that while playing music the listing of artist/title/album is like this:

ARTIST

ALBUM

SONG TITLE

Which looks awkward and with some songs - especially title tracks or singles b-sides.

A good suggestion for the next update is the ability to customize this to

ARTIST

SONG TITLE

ALBUM

or

SONG TITLE

ARTIST

ALBUM

or whatever combination is pleasing to you. I don’t think it would be that hard to do.

I use my fuze mainly for Podcasts and Old Time Radio shows.

I would like to add my own menu choices at the main screen

since PodCasts and Old Time Radio are not really ‘Music’. If the

icons are in a standard format, or even just jpegs, I could add

my menu choices at the main screen.

Raise the maximum file limit.

That’s all.

What i think is that sansa needs to make firmware with simple games that you could play once you’re tierd of whatching videos and listening to audio. I have the black 4gb fuze that i would like to have games on but am unable to find any.

@jkoe52 wrote:

What i think is that sansa needs to make firmware with simple games that you could play once you’re tierd of whatching videos and listening to audio. I have the black 4gb fuze that i would like to have games on but am unable to find any.

That would eat up the battery in no time! I’ll pass.

I would like to add a couple of things, as well:

1.  Like one poster said above, I want to be able to go into ARTIST and have the ability to see all the tracks by that artist not broken down into albums.  I have many single tracks in an album or singles and don’t want to have to click on the album to be able to see what song is on that album say to add to the dynamic playlist.

2.  For Rhapsody channels, the E200 series was capable of browsing the track listing on a channel and go back and forth in the listing to re-listen to songs.  Now there is just an option to go back to your Channels list.  

3.  I would love to be able to save a dynamic (on-the-go) playlist, even if the Fuze would just name them dynamic1, dynamic 2, …, etc. and I can rename then on my computer, that would be great.  

4.  Be able to save a custom EQ setting.

5.  Reaching far out here as it probably won’t happen, be able to move around tracks in a playlist while it is playing or be able to queue up a song to play next, just like I can do on my Rockboxed E280.

Message Edited by mdscriber3 on 01-26-2009 11:37 AM

My feature list request from most wanted to least:

1)  Regardless if I’m in MTP or MSC mode, while plugged into the computer I’d like to see ALL the files on it.   This is such an annoying issue.   I’ve given out so many Sansa CLIP and Fuze players and I end up having to handhold people through this.

2)  Folder Navigation / play Folder selection

3)  Volume leveling option

4)  Support for a more complete DivX format, then we could have SMALLER video files,  currently they are bloated.   Ipod mp4 compatibility would be awesome.  It’s not a show stopper, but this is one of the weaknesses of the Fuze.

1. Custom RGB value setting for wallpaper, or even background image? jpg or GIF?  (I don’t really care about this but just an idea)

I’ve seen the request for volume leveling here and there for people’s Fuze…sounds like one more thing to ■■■■ battery life to me. If it bothers you that much to raise/lower volume from track to track, there are options on your computer to resolve this…MP3Gain, ReplayGain, and several of the music managers have the option of “track leveling”…just equalize your volume levels before you put the tracks on your Fuze. :wink:

we are lazy humans, the fuze arm cpu is capable :slight_smile: and thanks ,  i knew of these other options, possibly others did not.   if the cpu takes up that much power then obviously its not worth it.   but i am willing to bet the cpu is capable without affecting battery life.

Has anyone ever used any on-the-fly volume normalization (or leveling if you want to call it that) that actually works? The only normalization I’ve used is with the iPod, and it (a) requires iTunes, (b) uses a bit extra battery, and (c) basically doesn’t do much of anything. I’d hate to see Sansa put a lot of resources into anything like this unless they knew ahead of time that it’d actually work where everyone else’s doesn’t.

Personally, I’d like to see comprehensive track info, like bitrate and path/filename.

I wouldn’t mind a list of all songs by artist, but not removing albums. The “list all songs” (right under play all songs, but just list them) idea sounds best to me.

For a more major mod, I still think AAC codec support is important. We saw people giving up and returning Fuzes at Christmas time because their iTunes music wouldn’t work…plus, Apple has announced that by April all music will be DRM-free. That means all the music from the #1 music retailer will be compatible with the iPod, Sony, Creative Zen, and Zune, but not any Sansa.

Message Edited by bdb on 01-26-2009 02:01 PM

@bdb wrote:

Has anyone ever used any on-the-fly volume normalization (or leveling if you want to call it that) that actually works? The only normalization I’ve used is with the iPod, and it (a) requires iTunes, (b) uses a bit extra battery, and (c) basically doesn’t do much of anything. I’d hate to see Sansa put a lot of resources into anything like this unless they knew ahead of time that it’d actually work where everyone else’s doesn’t.

Personally, I’d like to see comprehensive track info, like bitrate and path/filename.

I wouldn’t mind a list of all songs by artist, but not removing albums. The “list all songs” (same as play all songs, but just list them) option sounds the best to me.

I have used both Normalization and Replay Gain,  they both actually work.    But they are different.       Normalization effects the music data whereas Replay gain is a value saved in the tag and the music data is not altered.    Of the two Replay gain is the most efficient.  I’ve used iTunes replay gain feature that is called “Sound Check” , it only changes the value in the meta data aka tag prior to loading the song into the iPod  and doesn’t use any extra battery power.

Calculating replay gain is not an intensive task.   Your Fuze is doing the work of reading the file while playing anyways,  saving the replay gain after it plays or scans it once is a one time deal.   it won’t burn any extra battery power.  if its an option,   you could always turn it off, if you wanted, just to be sure.

@bdb wrote:

For a more major mod, I still think AAC codec support is important. We saw people giving up and returning Fuzes at Christmas time because their iTunes music wouldn’t work…plus, Apple has announced that by April all music will be DRM-free. That means all the music from the #1 music retailer will be compatible with the iPod, Sony, Creative Zen, and Zune, but not any Sansa.

Message Edited by bdb on 01-26-2009 02:01 PM

The track info definitely appeals to me. If on the screen I could see the bitrate , and the format of the currently playing track(MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, etc.) that would rule.As far as supporting the AAC, I’m starting to think it would be a good idea. I resisted before because of the restrictions placed on the music , but if it will be truly shackle-free, then I guess I could accept that. 

-Gapless Playback;

-Better Vorbis Comment Support (“Discnumber” tag, Embedded Art);

-“Go List” Functionality: Ability to add Items to list while it is playing so that they will be played without having to restart list playback;

-Fix “Sleep Timer” Bug (If you change back to __, it will shut down after previously specified time unless you restart Fuze);

-“Date” tag and Technical info somewhere (codec, bitrate, file size). Maybe a 5th cycle panel (after “next song” view);

-Display Art in fullscreen (like in Pictures);

-Ability to make hot chocolate (if it doesn’t use too much battery);:smiley:

1.) Customizable Background maybe :smiley: that way it would be more like Your Fuze and a little differen’t from everyone else’s :smiley: Kinda like teh zune where you save a picture and set it as a background :D? (If not then I’d settle for a nice black or a dark grey.)

2.) Better Volume leveling thing…I duno how to explain it, but when I listen to music at night sometimes the lowest volume sounds kinda loud. (Or maybe it just depends on the earphones you use o.o. I guess the vibes sound a bit louder then the orginal earphones.)

3.) I don’t think this will happen…but maybe something that tells you the title and artist name when you listen to a song on the radio O_o

4.) Differen’t Font and New logo :X that logo kinda looks like it was made kinda quick :X I like it though! maybe make it look a little better :D?

Message Edited by Greed on 01-26-2009 03:27 PM

Message Edited by Greed on 01-26-2009 03:33 PM

@greed wrote:

3.) I don’t think this will happen…but maybe something that tells you the title and artist name when you listen to a song on the radio O_o

That’s called “RDS” (or “RDBS”, depending on where you live), and it would require new hardware.

D: it’s ok then I can live without it. lol it was worth asking :stuck_out_tongue:

i think on the new firmware update they should let you set photos as your background and add game downloads for it and how about themes too.