Some tags are not recognized at all (either mp3/ogg, always full albums)

Hi!

I’ve run into a weird problem. My Fuze doesn’t recognize all of my files tags., i.e. around 1/3 of my songs appear under “unknown” as “unknown”. My question is, has anyone run into anything similar? I tried to search this forum but didn’t find anything similar.

It’s a bit weird, as:

• They are always full albums that are not recognized (i.e. newer only a part of an album).
  • I haven’t found a common nominator for the albums which tags are not recognized;
  • Some of them are MP3 (id3v2.4 I presume), some are OGG,
  • some (most) are ripped by myself from CD’s, some are not.
  • I have (of course) checked them on computer and all my software recognizes the tags.

For example, 4 out of 8 Weather Report albums are “unknown” - and one of them is OGG, three MP3, and from the 4 that ARE recognized, 3 are OGG and 1 is MP3. I have my albums organized into folders in the manner MUSIC/Artist/Album/*.[mp3/ogg] on the Fuze.

All have been (re)tagged with easytag, in fact I have recently retagged/checked the tags of my whole collection with easytag (to make sure it’s usable on the Fuze). There must be something wrong with my tags. I’ve tried to format the device (from the menu), reset the database by deleting it from the device, but it doesn’t help… on refreshing the database it’s the same files that do not get recognized, though.

Any suggestions or ideas? 

Thanks for all your help!

We are putting in some fixes for tag handling in the next release,  FYI.  We had some issue with OGG and FLAC files that had ID3 tags added to them  (not in the OGG or FLAC spec).

ID3V2.4 is also getting support in the next release.

Message Edited by sansafix on 11-20-2008 11:13 AM

Hi sansafix and thanks for the very fast reply!

I’ll try to retag some of the unrecognized MP3’s as ID3V2.3. Also, all my OGG’s should be tagged without an ID3 tag (only the OGG tag strings), if I recall my easytag settings correctly. But I’ll check this, too.

I’ll report if I find the cause, of course. In the meantime, looking forward for the next FW release =)

@pinkybrainded wrote:

Hi sansafix and thanks for the very fast reply!

I’ll try to retag some of the unrecognized MP3’s as ID3V2.3. Also, all my OGG’s should be tagged without an ID3 tag (only the OGG tag strings), if I recall my easytag settings correctly. But I’ll check this, too.

I’ll report if I find the cause, of course. In the meantime, looking forward for the next FW release =)

Also, when you switch your mp3s to ID3v2.3, make sure you use ISO encoding.  The unicode encodings have problems as well.  ID3v2.3 with ISO encoding always works.

All my mp3s are uniformly tagged with ID3v2.3 and unicode 16 text coding and nothing else (no ID3v1.1 nor APEv2).

I cleared my files from any tags, then rewrote them by applying batch cut & paste to my mp3 folder with mp3tag.

I haven’t noticed any problem with inadequate characters since I own my Fuze (july). Unicode seems to be OK with the Fuze as long as tags fully respect ID3v2.3 and UTF16 standards.

Message Edited by tom_tom on 11-20-2008 11:16 PM

have a somewhat similar issue, with audiobooks. I have around 8 books, each with their own folder. 5 of them display properly for playback selection, while 2 are listed as Unknown, and get this…the 3rd folder is not even on the playback list, but the 5 mp3 files for this book are packaged inside one the unknown folders! Even the thumbnail for this rogue audiobook is displayed properly, as well as the correct HOST (unknown) thumbnail when I play those files.  at least I am able to play them back, but less than ideal I would say. BTW the audiobook folders (all 8) are displayed correctly in Windows Explorer.

anyone else have this issue? thanks.

Message Edited by noki on 11-21-2008 04:06 AM

Message Edited by noki on 11-21-2008 04:09 AM

Hi again!

And, thanks to sansafix’s tips this problem is now solved! :smileyvery-happy:

It seems ID3V2.4 was the culprit - retagging my files as 2.3 made them work. Also, my OGG files were (and still are) tagged with ID3, contrary to what I believed. But now that they are 2.3 they also work.

Don’t know why some of the tags did work, though, even though they were all 2.4 - but retagging them as 2.3 made them all work anyhow. Also, in easytag, I can’t seem to be able to prevent OGG files from being tagged with ID3, I can only prevent it from tagging with ID3 alltogether (which is not nice, since I have both MP3 and OGG). There is an options for to prevent tagging FLAC with ID, though. Maybe I should mail a feature request for the easytag guys, this should be easy to implement…

I also have my tags in UTF-16, and haven’t encountered any problems (as of yet - my Fuze is still so new I haven’t had time to see all the songs with foreign languages & characters).

But, anyways, thanks again! Very useful forum this is indeed. :smiley:

Message Edited by PinkyBrainded on 11-21-2008 05:32 PM

Hi, this happens to me also. I am trying to follow your solutions but am struggling here a bit. I have downloaded EasyTag from sourceforge but cannot find how to configure it to re-tag all files in ID3V2.3. Can anyone show me the way? thanks

Hi teerapong!

You can configure easytag ID3v2 version in the Settings -> Preferences ->  [ID3 tag settings TAB]. There select for version “ID3v2.3”. If Charset is set at “Unicode” it is forced UTF-16 (you can’t select UTF-8),and that did work fine for me (at least for umlaunts and some diacretics used in french). I’m using easytag 2.1.7, i.e. the latest development version. In case you are using the stable version, it might miss some featurs that the development version has.

Note, that when I posted the problem the latest firmware wasn’t released yet. I believe someone (was it sansafix?) said that a future version will have some improvements, although I can’t see ID3v2.4 in the latest firmwares changelog. In any case, make sure you have the latest firmware.

thx for the quick reply. i have to download easy tag again. I am using the stable version (2.1) it seems highly unstable. I have tried in the last few hours on three machines (one at work, one laptop, and another at PC at home), and the easy tag got frozen and error message. The farthest I could go was to get about 55 files retagged, then it crashed. is it possible that this has anything to do with the GTK thing (whatever it’s called)? i am using XP SP2 in all of them.

Thx 

I don’t know about windows, but it’s possible that especially in windows the development version is more stable than the stable version (even how weird that might seem). I don’t think there are a lot of easytag users on windows, so it might have bugs on windows that haven’t been detected and corrected… I only use Linux.

Maybe you should try another tagger, if the easytag development version isn’t working well for you. I think there were some very good alternatives mentioned in another thread. If not, try google, but if you are worried about your CO2 footprint, then this is a good starting point :slight_smile:

the Tagger that is almost universally recomended for Windows is Mp3Tag. I use the tag editor in Windows Media Player, but it is not as easy as mp3Tag.

hi, thanks for all the suggestions. I also tried Synchronize Tags option in Media Monkey(3.03) and it just worked. I will try it on my entire library and see if this solves the problem.

@pinkybrainded wrote:

I don’t know about windows, but it’s possible that especially in windows the development version is more stable than the stable version (even how weird that might seem). I don’t think there are a lot of easytag users on windows, so it might have bugs on windows that haven’t been detected and corrected… I only use Linux.

Maybe you should try another tagger, if the easytag development version isn’t working well for you. I think there were some very good alternatives mentioned in another thread. If not, try google, but if you are worried about your CO2 footprint, then this is a good starting point :slight_smile:

I’ve tried the various Windows versions of EasyTag without much success. Works OK in Linux.

For Windoze I’d use Mp3Tag as recommended in many other posts :slight_smile:

All,

We have identified a bug with embedded album art in the OGG Vorbis Comments field causing metadata to be not parsed properly… If the embedded art comes immediately after the Title field, it may disrupt the rest of the metadata parsing.

We found that Media Monkey placed the embedded art at the end of the comments tag and metadata is parsed properly.

But Media Jukebox placed the embedded art right after the title and added the rest of the TAG information AFTER the Art file.

This caused the Artist, Album and Genre field to be left blank.

Since currently we don’t extract embedded art from OGG or FLAC files, you can work around the issue by removing it, or, by Using Media Monkey to create the OGG comments fields. You can have Art show on the player by placing an external “folder.jpg” or “Album art.jpg” in the same directory as your album. This can be done Automatically by Media Monkey or other software.

It may also cause a problem for FLAC files.

We will implement a fix soon.

@sansafix wrote:
All,

We have identified a bug with embedded album art in the OGG Vorbis Comments field causing metadata to be not parsed properly… If the embedded art comes immediately after the Title field, it may disrupt the rest of the metadata parsing.

We found that Media Monkey placed the embedded art at the end of the comments tag and metadata is parsed properly.

But Media Jukebox placed the embedded art right after the title and added the rest of the TAG information AFTER the Art file.

This caused the Artist, Album and Genre field to be left blank.

Since currently we don’t extract embedded art from OGG or FLAC files, you can work around the issue by removing it, or, by Using Media Monkey to create the OGG comments fields. You can have Art show on the player by placing an external “folder.jpg” or “Album art.jpg” in the same directory as your album. This can be done Automatically by Media Monkey or other software.

It may also cause a problem for FLAC files.

We will implement a fix soon.

Sansafix Could this Effect Playback as well? I noticed that I have files that when Album art is off they play on the fuze but when Its added the fuze cant see the duration and freezes up, and I am guesing that this has to do with the art. Any Thoughts?

Distinct possibility , can you post one of the offending files to a file sharing site and PM me so I can get it.

I can Try… Gimme A Minute

SansaFix, I am gonna play with this a bit on my own. I realized that the files I was referring to may have had a licensing issue (A different kind of Demon) I will try it with a different File.

OK, let us know.