So I washed my Sansa...

Has anyone done that before that can give me good news?

Many have indeed. Use the Search functon here to ferret out all the threads.

The most impotant thing to remember is:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TURN THE PLAYER ON TO SEE IF IT STILL WORKS!!!

Instead give it a nice, long rest in a warm place sealed up in a bag of dry white rice . . . maybe for a week. Then see if you need to shop for a new player, or if it’s rarin’ to go again.

Dry-cleaning is the preferred laundry method, but many before you have indeed. Use the Search functon here to ferret out all the threads.

The most impotant thing to remember is:

Instead give it a nice, long rest in a warm place sealed up in a bag of dry white rice . . . maybe for a week. Then see if you need to shop for a new player, or if it’s rarin’ to go again

Don’t turn it on!!!  If you do a search here and in the clip forum you will find a lot of advice about what to do now - mainly drying it out in rice before turning it on (and rinsing with distilled water prior to this can be a good idea).  Seems to be successful fairly often.

Dry-cleaning is the preferred laundry method, but many before you have indeed. Use the Search functon here to ferret out all the threads.

The most important thing to remember is:

Instead give it a nice, long rest in a warm place sealed up in a bag of dry white rice . . . maybe for a week. No Uncle Ben's, but I suppose a light Basmati or Jasmine would be nice. Then see if you need to shop for a new player, or if it's rarin' to go again. :smiley:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 01-02-2010 04:53 PM

Ahh big red font seems more effective, should’ve thought of that :wink:

Thanks, I’ve tried to turn it on multiple times. Hopefully, it’ll be alright. I’ll search through the threads for more answers. It’s sitting in a bag of rice right now :)…ugh, and right before school starts up again :expressionless:

Nelsonman625 wrote:
Thanks, I’ve tried to turn it on multiple times. Hopefully, it’ll be alright. I’ll search through the threads for more answers. It’s sitting in a bag of rice right now :)…ugh, and right before school starts up again :expressionless:

This is without a doubt, the absolute WORST thing you can do until it’s had a chance to dry out!

I wish you luck, but the damage may already be done.

Thanks for the help. Gosh, this ■■■■■.

I’ve seen a couple of posts from people who also tried to turn it on before drying it out and were still able to get it working again after drying it out.  There may be battery issues, but hopefully you’ll be ok. 

Good luck

Thanks. How long should I wait before I try to turn it on again?

@nelsonman625 wrote:
Thanks. How long should I wait before I try to turn it on again?

At least a week would be a good idea.

Indeed, give it a few days at the least.  Place the Fuze and rice in a warm spot, and let the moisture dissipate.

Bob 

I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO ANYTHING CONNECTED TO WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY.

OK, that said, if I was in the same situation I would pop the critter apart, dip the pieces briefly in high octane rubbing alcohol (excluding the battery), gently shake the pieces to get the liquid out then dry with a blow dryer on medium heat. Then I’d let them sit near a warm place like a heat register for a few days so everything became bone dry. Then I’d put it all back together and see if it worked. The alcohol will displace the water and it evaporates more quickly than water.

I’m not saying you should do that. I’m just saying.

Good luck. I hope the little ■■■■■■ works again.

Just a suggestion…the water had an easy enough time getting in there.  Methanol will have just as easy a time, purging out most of the moisture.

I wouldn’t recommend cracking open the device, as it’s like doing open surgery to take an aspirin.

Remember, accidents do happen, like water in a portable player.  Give the machine time to dry out properly.  The warranty doesn’t cover accidental drowning, of course.  The good side?  These machines often do come back after drying out properly, and if need be, a replacement won’t flatten your wallet!

µsansa

Guess what… You’re not the only one who has washed thier Fuze.  I washed it, let it dry, and discovered that washing the Fuze depletes the battery.  So, if the device does not turn on after it drys, you may need to charge it.  I should probably warn you, though… if it has recieved damage, there’s no telling what it could do when you plug it in, so charge it at your own risk.

Here at our labs we regularly wash incomming circuit boards in a dishwasher… no soap… and use compresses air to dry the boards…

That said, we do not wash battery packs, LCD’s, or any other water sensitive components…

The kinds of boards I am talking about are video game console (as in Arcade) boards.  Some are over 20 years old, and come in covered in dust and grime… (thanks to all the ebayers out there for sending them dirty)

I have had good luck with other people’s cell phones this way also… (I know better than to wash my electronics… always check your pockets!) … but I did have a phone get poured on in a thunderstorm that hit us suddenly in Arizona… The truck’s defroster worked like a charm after removing the battery and microSD card… just warm air blowing through was enough to keep the electronics from corroding as it dried.

I have several friends who regularly wash and dry (in their dryer) thumbdrives… they say it’s by accident… but how many times does it happen before you can no longer call it an accident?  (I’d swear they smoked wacky tobacci if I didn’t know better)

Anyway, rice is good at absorbing moisture… so are packages of dessicant if you have any… (I collect dessicant packages because you can dry it out in an oven and reuse it over and over, and it’s better than rice(as long as you don’t try to eat it))

Good luck!

Hello All,

I washed and dried my Sansa player today morning. I tried turning it on but it wouldn’t respond. But when I plugged into the computer for charging the display does come on (so it is not dead). But it still does not switch on. Any suggestions?

LET IT DRY OUT. STOP PUTTING ELECTRICITY THROUGH IT.

Turning it on, connecting it, etc. mean there is more of a chance that you will short out a wet circuit.

As repeatedly suggested above, put it in a container with rice,  PUT IT AWAY AND LEAVE IT ALONE FOR A WEEK. THAT’S SEVEN WHOLE DAYS. Then try charging it and turning it on. Maybe you have already shorted out the on-off switch. But maybe you haven’t.

BE PATIENT.