Slot radio card not recognized on fuze player

I have purchased a new fuze player with the 02.02.26 firmware and when the slotradio card is inserted the player does not recognize the card. It will not put the sr icon on the player and frezzes the player up until you remove the card and reboot the player.

When you insert the slotradio card, is your fuze turned off?  If your player is on, then you’re hot swapping an external card and I heard that doing that isn’t a good idea.

With the player off, insert the slotradio card, turn it on, and it’ll refresh the database.  Maybe that will get your fuze to recognize the card.

When you insert the card before the player is on and then turn on the player it freezes on the sansa icon

It could be that the firmware is corrupt. Only since the last firmware update has the fuze been compatible with slotradio cards.  You’ll have to reinstall it manually.   There’s a sticky at the top of this board that’ll link you to the update and will have instructions on how to do it.

Another cause could be, and this is only a guess, is the usb mode that your player is in.  You can put it into MSC mode in system settings > usb mode > msc.  If you do this before reinstalling the firmware, you’ll have to change it again.  Updating or reinstalling it resets the mode to “automode”.

Last thing to consider, since this is a new purchase, have you put a regular microsdhc card in yet?  It maybe the slot and a hardware problem.

May be it is the slot radio card. I installed a sd card and it refreshes media and everything is avaliable from the card.

Sounds like you found the answer  – a defective card.

If another slotradio card does the same thing, then I still recommend reinstalling the firmware.  The slotradio cards are a good value.  Can’t beat the price for 1,000 songs.

I’ll let you know after i get a new one from bestbuy

I wouldn’t rush to Best Buy… I would first uninstall the Sansa updater if you have previously installed it, reboot, and install a fresh copy of the Sansa updater - see here - http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/156/kw/firmware/r_id/101834

Do all of this with the device disconnected from your PC. Only when asked to by the updater - hook up your Fuze to the PC, it should offer a new firmware, and I bet you after it installs, it will work like a charm…

LMK if this works.

I have unistalled and installed the new updater and ran the update program as mentioned, but just as before the only update is for the sansa media convertor and user manual. The player has the most up to date firmware 2.02.26. Open to more suggestions!

@elcmno wrote:
I have unistalled and installed the new updater and ran the update program as mentioned, but just as before the only update is for the sansa media convertor and user manual. The player has the most up to date firmware 2.02.26. Open to more suggestions!

Forget the Updater nonsense and just re-install the firmware manually. The simple instructions are in the Firmware Update post.

Forced new firmware update 2.02.26a and player did everything as per the instructions and inserted the slot radio card with the player off. Turned on player and refreshes media but after slot radio icon is not available. changed from all usb modes and no change. When exploring internal and external device it will not show an external memory device not sure if it should. I know a different sd does work in player.

That IS weird. Maybe it’s time for a trip back to BB after all. I’d take your Fuze with you and try a new SlotRadio card in it before I left the store.

I will do that but it will have to wait for the weekend. So if any body has any other ideas, I’m still open for suggestions

before returning the the card you may want to try a few more things.

first change the USB mode to MSC and connect the Fuze to the computer with the slotRadio card in the player. it should mount as 2 removable disks so you can use the Fuze as a reader. on the removable disk for the external memory you should be able to see a 64MB partition. see if you can read and write to the 64MB partition. if you can read and write to this partition the card is probably good. if you receive an error like “please insert disk” or “drive is not formatted” the card is probably bad and will need to be replaced. 

if the card is working and you can read and write to the 64MB partition then you should try a freash install of the firmware with a format and resetting factory settings.

format the player through the settings menu

reset the device to factory defaults

reload the firmware manually using the stickied post at the top of this board

one the player is back on insert the card.

you should see it refresh the data base and the slotradio icon should be available.  hot swapping the card will not hurt the fuze or the card. 

Loaded player with card in msc mode. external memory file is present but empty. internal memory has all files and music loaded on the player by me

Please follow the remainder of the previous poster’s instructions -

if the card is working and you can read and write to the 64MB partition then you should try a freash install of the firmware with a format and resetting factory settings.

format the player through the settings menu

reset the device to factory defaults

reload the firmware manually using the stickied post at the top of this board

one the player is back on insert the card.

you should see it refresh the data base and the slotradio icon should be available.  hot swapping the card will not hurt the fuze or the card. 

the slotradio card will show as empty on the computer. all you can see is the 64MB of free space. all the music is on a hidden partition and can only be accessed with a slotradio compatible device.  

Card has 0 free space on it.

Good news, Returned Slot Radio Card to Best Buy and new one worked on the spot. Thanks for All’s words of wisdom