Should I format my device after I installed the new firmware or before?

Hi guys!

I want to make this nice and simple… I heard other people recommending to format the device in order for the firmware to work properly which I did, i formatted my device I did it before the new firmware 1.02.26 was install.

My question is… should I format my device after or before I install the new firmware 1.02.26? or it doesn’t matter as long as it is formatted?

@jcroot wrote:
Hi guys!

I want to make this nice and simple… I heard other people recommending to format the device in order for the firmware to work properly which I did, i formatted my device I did it before the new firmware 1.02.26 was install.

My question is… should I format my device after or before I install the new firmware 1.02.26? or it doesn’t matter as long as it is formatted?

It really only matters, if you need the song limit raised to 8000 songs. If its fine at the lower limit, then format before or after dont worry about it.

If you want to use the 8000 song database, you need to format AFTER installing the new firmware. The old firmware will format it to support the old limit of 4000 files.

I did it after I updated…but I do it every once in a while anyways, to keep my Fuze “fresh and spring-time clean”:stuck_out_tongue:

@marvin_martian wrote:
I did it after I updated…but I do it every once in a while anyways, to keep my Fuze “fresh and spring-time clean”:stuck_out_tongue:

Yep.  I do exactly the same and no problems at all with any of my 4 Sansas (2 Fuzes; 2 clips)

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Yep.  I do exactly the same and no problems at all with any of my 4 Sansas (2 Fuzes; 2 clips)

I haven’t done it with my original 2GB Clip in a while…but that’s mostly my podcast machine. I do have a little over 1GB of music on it, in case I’m on the go with it and finish my podcasts. I probably should though. But the Fuze and the 8GB Clip I am fairly regular in "cleansing " them :smiley: