Saved Settings

Recently my screen was damaged to such a point that there was nothing displayed.But as I listen to the fuze on “random play all” I could just about get by memorizing a small portion of the menu at startup Music->Artists->Play all.The other day however an independent problem ocurred where by the buttons stopped responding, with nothing to lose I opend up the Fuze up.I took out the screen and binned it I cut and reconnected the battery put the fuze back together turned it on and got 3  lights on the touchpad similar to that on the XBOX 360 “Ring of Death”.I connected the fuze o the laptop and deleted all the *.sys files.Turned on the fuze and left it for 2 minutes to rebuild the library and hey presto it works as it should (minus the screen).However now I have a differnet sort of problem I can’t put it in random mode.lol.This is just realy annoying.Tried to blindly turn it shuffle on by looking at videos of the fuze but no luck so my question is now did one of those *.sys files contain the saved settings for the fuze and if so does any body want to upload the file with shuffle turn on :slight_smile: or (Programming question and a very long shot) if somebody would happen to know how the data file is constructed ie. strOut.writeInt(volumeLevel) , … , strOut.writeBool(shuffle).
Yes I could buy a new fuze but being a student Im skint and I’d be happy if I could just get it on shuffle.
Thanks Ger.

Solution Found

Before deleting the system files I copied SYS_CONF.SYS to the laptop which is a backup of Sansa Fuze’s settings.To force the fuze to apply these settings what you do is;

1: Overwrite the  SYS_CONF.SYS on the fuze with your own copy

2: While still connected push and hold the power button to on after aprox 5~10 secs the player will restart and reload the saved settings in the root drive

Message Edited by gleesog4 on 10-10-2008 02:55 PM

Gleesog4, would you tell me how you copied this file please? When I look at the Fuze internal memory with Windows Explorer the only file I see at the root level is DevIcon.fil.

Thanks,

John

You need to connect in MSC mode to see the file.  Remember to switch back afterward.

Thanks for the very quick response, Sansafix. I can now see the .SYS files, but I can’t see the files in the folders, like the Music folder. I think I’ve seen some hints here that say this is normal. Is it?

Thanks,

John

While connected in MSC mode you will now be able to “see” any music files you have put on your device while in MTP mode. And vise-versa. They will still be there, but your computer can only see the ones that were put on in the mode in which you are trying to see them. :wink:

Songs put on in MTP Mode = Only visible when connected to computer in MTP Mode.

Songs put on in MSC Mode = Only visible when connected to computer in MTC Mode.

While connected in MSC mode you will now be able to “see” any music files you have put on your device while in MTP mode. And vice-versa. They will still be there, but your computer can only see the ones that were put on in the mode in which you are trying to see them. :wink:

Songs put on in MSC Mode = Only visible when connected to computer in MTC Mode.

While connected in MSC mode you will not be able to “see” any music files you have put on your device while in MTP mode. And vice-versa. They will still be there, but your computer can only see the ones that were put on in the mode in which you are trying to see them. :wink:

Songs put on in MSC Mode = Only visible when connected to computer in MSC Mode.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 10-18-2008 02:49 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

While connected in MSC mode you will now be able to “see” any music files you have put on your device while in MTP mode. And vice-versa. They will still be there, but your computer can only see the ones that were put on in the mode in which you are trying to see them. :wink:

Songs put on in MSC Mode = Only visible when connected to computer in MSC Mode.

So like the ipod(using MTP) if you transfer songs to the player, you can’t transfer the songs back to another computer?

@d_headshot wrote:
So like the ipod(using MTP) if you transfer songs to the player, you can’t transfer the songs back to another computer?

You should be able to. Just make sure if you’re using Windows Media Player & MTP mode to first turn off the ‘automatic sync’ feature on by default on the second computer before you plug in your player. If you don’t, WMP will remove the songs on your player because it does not see them on the 2nd computer’s hard drive. You should be able to manually ‘sync’ from your player to the 2nd computer.

With the Fuze however, you should also be able to simply drag & drop in MTP mode from your player to the 2nd computer. This way you don’t have to deal with the sometimes contrary Windows Media Player at all. :wink: