Sansa started freezing up

Hello, My Sansa was playing fine etc.,  today put in a extra 4 GB and re hooked it to my Pc and it has froze it does not want to shut down or nothing so tried and took off the extra 4 GB and retried it and nothing, oh by the way prior had updated to the latest firmware.  I am lost on what happened to it had it a month or so only, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks  

Ralph

Take the 4GB card out and hold up the power button for 20-30 second to reset it, then try turning it on again.

Does it connect to your computer? 

You’re probably screwed.

As soon as I updated to the new firmware, my fuze freezes every time I access Rhapsody. 

I called Sandisk and they didn’t know what I was talking about. They blamed Rhapsody, etc. etc.

If I hear anything more, I’ll let you know, but don’t hold your breath

If it’s not too late, return your Fuze for a refund.

PJF

You can do a manual firmware reinstall with the previous version.  Get 1.02.26

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 10-17-2009 08:44 AM

It might be the new firmware or it might be not.

I would recommend first to format your card - you can do it via your computer formant function - and have a look how  the Fuze is going to behave after this operation. There might be some corruption of FAT on the card itself having nothing to do with the new firmware.

Zapper,

You might try a manual install (back to 1.02.26), but be warned. You’ll probably be wasting your time.

I’ve tried that install on two different Fuzes, and the results, if you can believe this, were even worse. These devices were turned into useless junk.  I then reinstalled the latest version and the devices were returned to their semi-uselessness.

Also, you can be assured that your problem isn’t the result of a bad card.  Removing the card, inserting a brand new card, or reformatting the card, had no effect on solving the problem.

I’ll try a couple of dozen other possible solutations and get back to you if anything works.

PJF

Sorry, that I did not reply earlier guess that did not subscribed to the instant reply but resolved the issue by just letting the player run out of juice and taking out the 4GB and it played like a charm in my car.  Know have the same stupid problem so will re-do the same procedure and see what happens.

Ralph

Well its working again, this is nuts could it be the 4GB since every time I insert the disk it goes bonkers, any site on this and feed back would be appreciated.

It’s most likely the card and not your player.  Have you tried to use a different card?

No, recently bought it no wonder that it was on sale, rats.

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the card; it’s a rare instance when they fail and even more rare that you get a bad one new. More likely is the fact you have something on the card that the Fuze is choking on, like a corrupted song file, bad (or wrong format) ID3 tag, or questionable content received from file-stealing sharing sites such as Lime or Frostwire.

I’d try running ChkDsk (error-checking) on both the internal memory and the card and see if anything turns up. Then get MP3Tag or another dedicated tagging program and make sure all tags are ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 format. While you’re into the tags, delete any and all information in the Comments field.

@zapper130 wrote:
Well its working again, this is nuts could it be the 4GB since every time I insert the disk it goes bonkers, any site on this and feed back would be appreciated.

I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the card; it’s a rare instance when they fail and even more rare that you get a bad one new. More likely is the fact you have something on the card that the Fuze is choking on, like a corrupted song file, bad (or wrong format) ID3 tag, or questionable content received from file-stealing sharing sites such as Lime or Frostwire.

I’d try running ChkDsk (error-checking) on both the internal memory and the card and see if anything turns up. Then get MP3Tag or another dedicated tagging program and make sure all tags are ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 format. While you’re into the tags, delete any and all information in the Comments field. This can really screw with the Sansa wee brain. :wink:

Thanks, Tapeworm if I am not mistaken there is nothing on the disk but will check and correct if need be.

Well tried to format the Disk and a message error pop up " Windows is unabled to finish the format " never ran acroos this before???

If you’re attempting this with the card in the player, I believe the player has to be set to MSC mode for Windows to be able to format it.

Let me see if I understand you correctly, if the card is in the player, it wasn’t it was in the adapter inserted into my pc. 

OK, you might indeed have a defective card. Just for fun though, try switching your player to MSC mode and formatting the card in there.

Ok, will try.

Try it it frooze on a song that was playing, now will switch back when I can. any other ideas???

Did you attempt to format the card through Windows while it was in the player as I previously suggested?