Sansa fuze- bottom half of screen is black

ive given it at least a 3+ hour charge and the bottom half of the screen is just black and the top is all messed up, like when u first turn it on and it says sansa, that stays up, and then it has the time up top and in the middle is like little cut out pieces of stuff that would be on the screen. please help!

Did it just start doing this? If so, what was going on with it just before this started? Did you update the firmware, or put any new music on it, stuff like that?

Try resetting it. If there’s no change, then take or send it back to where you bought it if you’re within the return time window. Otherwise, call SanDisk directly (tech support) to get an RMA (Returned Merchandise Authorization) under their 1 year warranty.

If the reset doesn’t clear it, there’s nothing else you, as a user can do to fix it. 

well i believe it did it the first night i got it, which would be this christmas and i think it was because i didnt charge the battery all of the way before my first use…like it siad to, because i was too anxious.

you siad to reset it, how do you reset it?i was thinking about letting it charge today while im at school, but could u over-charge it? oh yea, i havnt put any new music on it lately or stuff like that and ive never updated any firmware on it.

i still have the origanol backaging ect.

Message Edited by m3dragon on 05-21-2009 04:34 AM

They come with a partial charge because SanDisk knows the 1st thing you’re going to do when you open up the box is take it out and start playing with it. That’s also why they give you those crappy earphones; for instant gratification. :wink:

So, I’m sure this did not cause your problem. To reset the player, slide and hold the spring-loaded power switch to the upper most position, like you’re turning it on. Only hold it up there and count to 20. Then release and slie it up momentarily to turn it on. This resets the player. If it displays properly, great! If not, then call 1-866-Sandisk (if you’re in the US) as I suggested earlier to get a replacement under warranty.

The Fuze has a pretty sophisicated charging circuitry built-in. It won’t let the battery fall below a certain charge level percentage so as to damage your player and it won’t allow it to over-charge either. Having said that, I see no reason to constantly leave it on the charger or hooked up to the computer as your screen issue has nothing to do with the battery’s condition or state of charge.

If the rest doesn’t help, I’m pretty sure you have a defective unit, so don’t waste any more time with it. Call SanDisk and get another one. :smiley:

They come with a partial charge because SanDisk knows the 1st thing you’re going to do when you open up the box is take it out and start playing with it. That’s also why they give you those crappy earphones; for instant gratification. :wink:

So, I’m sure this did not cause your problem. To reset the player, slide and hold the spring-loaded power switch to the upper most position, like you’re turning it on. Only hold it up there and count to 20. Then release and slide it up momentarily again to turn it on. This resets the player. If it displays properly, great! If not, then call 1-866-Sandisk (if you’re in the US) as I suggested earlier to get a replacement under warranty.

The Fuze has a pretty sophisicated charging circuitry built-in. It won’t let the battery fall below a certain charge level percentage so as to damage your player and it won’t allow it to over-charge either. Having said that, I see no reason to constantly leave it on the charger or hooked up to the computer as your screen issue has nothing to do with the battery’s condition or state of charge.

If the reset doesn’t help, I’m pretty sure you have a defective unit, so don’t waste any more time with it. Call SanDisk and get another one. :smiley:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 05-23-2009 04:35 PM

ok thanks for the advice! im going to let it charge today while i am at school and then when i get home, try seeing if it works and if it doesnt ill reset it and if it doesnt work, i guess ill just have to call.

do you have any idea how long it would take for me to get a new one from sandisk or if they refurbish mine? cause i have this big field trip this thursday…the uhh may 28th and i kinda wanted my mp3 player cuz i dont think my psp will last as long as the bus ride is there and back

Knock yourself out, but as I said, I don’t believe your LCD screen problem has anything to do the the battery or it’s state of charge, so leaving it to charge all day will accomplish nothing.

Getting a replacement directly from SanDisk can take up to 4 weeks from when you start the process, depending on where you live and where you have to send it in to. The sooner you call, the sooner you’ll get the process started.

ok, i guess i might as well call…u siad to reset it, how do u reset it?

@m3dragon wrote:

Have you read the User’s Guide? Or my previous responses? I explained this procedure in message #4 of this thread.

@m3dragon wrote:

Have you read the User’s Guide? Or my previous responses? I explained this procedure in message #4 of this thread.

@m3dragon wrote:

oh sorry i must have looked over it :frowning: the music still plays but u cant tell what ur doing at all, so im gonna take it with me on my field trip and then call in for a new one after my trip. my other mp3 is like 10 dollars from walgreens so it doesnt work very good.