Sansa e260 ---> Fuze + Rockbox

Hi all - apologies if this query has been previously asked/answered.

Lost my wonderful Sansa e260 last night.  With Rockbox installed, I was able to use a 16gb memory card in addition to the 4gb that were part of the original player.

My questions if I buy the SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8gb Video/MP3 Player:

1. Is there a Rockbox download compatible for this player?

2. If there is, and I download it, can I use a 16gb external memory card, bumping up the total memory to 24gb?

3. On my e260, I was able to combine the music on my Sansa and the music on the memory card when I created a playlist of all the songs.  Will I be able to do that with the Fuze?

Thanks so much.  Very eager to replace my dearly departed mp3 player.

@blurboy007 wrote:

Hi all - apologies if this query has been previously asked/answered.

Lost my wonderful Sansa e260 last night.  With Rockbox installed, I was able to use a 16gb memory card in addition to the 4gb that were part of the original player.

My questions if I buy the SanDisk Sansa Fuze 8gb Video/MP3 Player:

1. Is there a Rockbox download compatible for this player?
  1. If there is, and I download it, can I use a 16gb external memory card, bumping up the total memory to 24gb?
  1. On my e260, I was able to combine the music on my Sansa and the music on the memory card when I created a playlist of all the songs.  Will I be able to do that with the Fuze?

Thanks so much.  Very eager to replace my dearly departed mp3 player.

1. Yes, but it isn’t necessary if all you want is support for larger microSD cards. The Fuze natively supports all microSD capacities up to 32 GB.

2. See #1

3. Don’t know, I’ve never really bothered with playlists.

blurboy007 wrote:

1. On my e260, I was able to combine the music on my Sansa and the music on the memory card when I created a playlist of all the songs.  Will I be able to do that with the Fuze?

Yes, you can combine music from both memory locations into a single playlist if it (the playlist file) is .pla format. But you don’t need to do that if all you want to do is play ‘all’ the songs. Just use ‘Play All’ in the Music menu.

If you buy a Fuze now, you’ll get a V2, which has a port thats just becoming usable.  It has audio playback, but is probably too buggy to use right now.  So you might have to wait a while before you’ll want to use Rockbox on it.