Sansa Updater stuck at "Checking for updates..."

I’ve used Sansa Updater plenty of times in the past, but as of today it’s broken.  Whether I run it with my Fuze (v1) disconnected or connected, the Updater gets stuck at “Checking for updates” and never changes.

WTF?  How do I fix this?  I need to reinstall the original firmware so I can use my player.  Until I can restore the Sandisk firmware, it’s nothing but an oversized 4GB USB drive.

@confuzeduser wrote:

I’ve used Sansa Updater plenty of times in the past, but as of today it’s broken.  Whether I run it with my Fuze (v1) disconnected or connected, the Updater gets stuck at “Checking for updates” and never changes.

WTF?  How do I fix this?  I need to reinstall the original firmware so I can use my player.  Until I can restore the Sandisk firmware, it’s nothing but an oversized 4GB USB drive.

The Updater is not going to be any help with a player unless there is an update to make…and there is not any new update. What you should do is uninstall that Updater, and download the firmware manually, like most of us do…then you can re-apply it as often as necessary.http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/fuze/fuze01.02.31.zip

Previously, the updater would always at least get to the screen showing that there were no updates available.  This getting stuck on “Checking for updates…” thing is new.

Thanks for the tip on manual firmware reinstall.  That was the ticket.  I found it easier than using the automagic “Updater” software, actually.

Later on, I gave Rockbox another try.  It’s freaking awesome!  I can’t see why I would want to use the original firmware again.

@confuzeduser wrote:

Previously, the updater would always at least get to the screen showing that there were no updates available.  This getting stuck on “Checking for updates…” thing is new.

Thanks for the tip on manual firmware reinstall.  That was the ticket.  I found it easier than using the automagic “Updater” software, actually.

Later on, I gave Rockbox another try.  It’s freaking awesome!  I can’t see why I would want to use the original firmware again.

I know I haven’t.:wink: