Sansa Repair Service Policies and Concerns...

I own a Sansa Fuze 8G that I absolutely love - or loved, as the case may be. You see, a few weeks ago the thumb wheel stopped turning because a friend of mine spilled a single drop of soda on the unit. The moisture did not damage the electronics, thankfully, but the sugar gummed up the wheel. I knew immediately that the unit would not be covered under warranty, so I contacted Sansa Technical Support to open a case file so I could send it in for non-warranty repair. As many of you know, Sansa does not offer repair services on the Fuze.

My next option, having nothing to lose, was to attempt to repair the unit myself, but I need repair parts to do so. Namely, a thumb wheel. Sansa does not sell these parts and could not provide a resource that does.

The reason for this thread is fairly simple. While speaking with a tech support representative in the Phillipines, he recommended that I "simply purchase a brand new unit". As much as I love this MP3 player, why in the world would I spend another $80.00 on a piece of equipment that cannot be repaired and is not supported? Sure they have a 1 year warranty as long as you do nothing to cause the issue...but that doesn't help those of us who drop the unit or, like in my case, have friends who aren't really careful with their sodas. The thumb wheel assembly couldn't cost more than few dollars sold separately, and would be very easy to replace. Since Sansa doesn't sell them and can't refer a company that does, I'm faced with one of two choices: roll the dice on another Fuze, hoping that nothing happens to the unit...ever, or buy an iPod. While I don't like iPods...at least the manufacturer services and supports their products.

Sansa should consider advertising the Fuze as the world's finest DISPOSABLE MP3 player. At least you'd be aware that you're throwing away your money in the event something happens to it outside the scope of the warranty...in advance.

Rob

Highlighted

Re: Sansa Repair Service Policies and Concerns...

Couldn't you order some crappy, no-good used Fuze with a cracked screen for like $10 on ebay, and get the thumbwheel off of that?

That is one feasible solution, but that still makes the buyer responsible for becoming severely resourceful just to get his or her money's worth out of the unit...and let's not forget those individuals who have no technical expertise or ability whatsoever. This group most likely represents 95% of Sansa customers.

In reference to your reply - thank you for replying, by the way - I searched eBay for a broken Sansa Fuze. No luck there. While I'm certain one will eventually pop up, I have to refer back to my original response to your kind reply.

SanDisk Guru

If you do a search in this board, you'll find threads with suggestions on how to unstick the thumbwheel without taking it apart.

I followed them all...the most successful short-term solution was the damp towel. As you may have read in some of those posts, as soon as it dried completely, the wheel became stuck again. I tried this 5 or 6 times in an effort to get it cleaned out.
SanDisk User

you can try WD-40 with a cotton swab. just spray some on the tip of the cotton swab and rub it around the wheel. This is what another user suggested.Let me know if it works.Thanks

Will give it a shot. Thanks.

Gee, itis a shame that the sansaclip cannot be repaired. It is te cheapest mp3 that i know of, but I am crazy about mine. I can no longer download audio books to it, so I will probably buy another one later this month. Too bafd.

SanDisk Guru

If you cannot specifically download audiobooks, but can download other stuff, change your USB mode to MTP.

If you can't download anything but it otherwise appears to be working, you could try getting a new cord. They break. Don't use an iPod cord.