Sansa Fuze v2 freezes on 'Refreshing your Media"

I have had this problem since I got it at the start of this year.  I have tried to fix this in so many ways. 

Firstly I thought this was a problem to do with tags which many of you have told me, however after systematically organising every single audio track, removing all comments, artist information, album art, composer and using mp3val to error check each audio track the problem still remains.  The only information on each track  is genre, year, song title, artist, album name and track number(this I did on Mp3tag and saved ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1).

The sansa fuze I have is a 4Gb v2 model with a 16Gb Kingston MicroSD card.   Honestly I am so fed up with having to choose which music I want because the most number of songs I have had on it without it freezing s 560 songs - I might add that most are mp3 some are in flac.  This is less than 6Gb out of the 20 Gb I have available which is ridiculous because the whole point I got a Fuze was so that I could expand its capacity without having to buy expensive media players

I have tried updating to the latest firmware but reverted back to 1.02.26 because the problem still remains with 1.02.31.  

Okay because it will probably be easier to read and be more logical if I just list this information (instead of trying to structure some sort of coherence.)

-Some other information which may prove helpful is that I have no videos, no photos saved. 

-The problem  seems to occur after I have reached some threshold in the number of songs I have.  For example, when I transfer an album over and it freezes/hangs on “refreshing your media” screen, I have to force it to shut down by holding down the switch.  Most of you may think this is to do with the offending audio tracks (bad tags etc), however I have found that if I take off some albums and try put the same album on again, it will have no problems doing so.  Only after reaching a certain(?) number of songs does this seem to occur.  I’m not going to state this as fact as I am not 100% sure of this.

-After the frozen “refreshing your media” screen I have to go back and delete the all the albums I added which causes the problem.  This would show up as normal except there is no audio files just an empty folder with the album name.  

-All tracks scanned with mp3val as having “problems” I have removed entirely from the device.

-All music is transfered in MSC mode - drag and drop

-It never freezes when I transfer audio files onto the internal memory.  For example the album which causes the freeze/hang can be put onto the sansa fuze internal memory - no problem

For the love of all things good can someone please help me solve this problem as I’m sure this can be fixed. 

I will update this as I can’t think of all the things I have done 

Thanks

Message Edited by plug on 04-11-2010 08:43 PM

Message Edited by plug on 04-11-2010 08:45 PM

Message Edited by plug on 04-11-2010 08:46 PM

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:47 PM

Why should it be the uSD card when it works perfectly fine on other devices?

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:47 PM

Thanks TomJensen, will look into getting another card.  Just as a tangent what brands are reliable besides Sandisk?

Brands can be faked. Buy from a retailer that you can return w/ minimal hassle.

Also worth noting is that it takes two to tango, and the Sansa Fuze can be a finicky beast in its various operations. Whereas an mp3 with a bad spot would cause a PC player to skip, such will cause the Fuze player (or file scanner, during database refresh) to hang. So, if blame is to be assigned, it’s not all roses on the Fuze’s side.

plug wrote:
Thanks TomJensen, will look into getting another card.  Just as a tangent what brands are reliable besides Sandisk?

There is a known compatibility issue with Kingston cards and Sansa mp3 players, although up till now it was generallthought the problems were isolated to videos files only.

SanDisk would be the most dependable & reliable memory card option. And they are not much (if at all) more expensive than the other brands. My opinion is, why risk what little savings there may be? Value does not = price.

plug wrote:

There is a known compatibility issue with Kingston cards and Sansa mp3 players, although up till now it was generally thought the problems were isolated to videos files only.

SanDisk would be the most dependable & reliable memory card option. And they are not much (if at all) more expensive than the other brands. My opinion is, why risk what little savings there may be? Value does not = price.