Sansa Fuze crashed, blank screen, won't turn on, did not get wet, soft-reset doesn't work.

My Sansa Fuze, out of the blue, just crashed about… a year ago actually, and yes I finally decided to see what the problem was. Anyways!

It crashed while syncing with the computer, and got a power outage/turned itself off. When I tried turning it back on, it wouldn’t work. I’ve tried the soft reset several times, then and now, and it didn’t turn on.

Here’s what I think: Maybe the battery’s faulty and died and can’t be recharged again or it disconnected in some way. I don’t know how I’d check that out myself, and some help on how to open it up would be great. Or maybe it’s a software issue and while syncing it might’ve been updating the software and something went wrong during the transfer, some bits got confused, and when it tried to run it it ruined the OS on the Fuze. Or, I was also thinking that this behavior is very similar to what happened to my friend’s iPhone, where he left it in the bathroom while showering and water vapor actually got into the cracks of the device and eventually fried a part of the chip. I don’t know where it would’ve gotten water vapor in it, because I took very good care of it, but you never know in this house <.<.

I can’t tell you what firmware it was running because… well I can’t turn it on. If y’all have any ideas on what’s wrong with it, or if you know, that help would be much appreciated.

With the unit off, put the hold switch on (so orange shows). Hold down << and connect it to your computer. See if it shows up in Windows Explorer.

It did not show up, and I held << down for about a minute.

yea it worked

Thanks for this… you’re my hero of the day! My Sansa Fuze 8GB was totally bugging out and your advice completely blew me away with great results! My screen isn’t acting stupid anymore… yay!

Mine did the same thing , it plays files but can’t connect to my computer.It says its connected but does not show up anywhere, so I can’t add files to it , I wonder if the battery is blown and it is not charging, after a minute or 2 the screen shuts down

it showed up in my pc but the sreen is still blank…

Kaiserqueen, go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and change it to MSC. See if it recognizes it when connecting.

Hanush, try a firmware update.But the screen might just be broken.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-Firmware-Update-01-02-31-amp-02-03-33/td-p/139175

@black_rectangle wrote:

Kaiserqueen, go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and change it to MSC. See if it recognizes it when connecting.

Or, you could try what BR said earlier:

@black_rectangle wrote:

With the unit off, put the hold switch on (so orange shows). Hold down << and connect it to your computer. See if it shows up in Windows Explorer.

With my sandisk if the battery is completely dead the computer will not charge it.  I first must charge it for a 1/2 hour or more with a wall or car charger.

Display is black, all sensors not responsive, currently fm is working but I cannot change any settings, and the device will not connect to my PC.

Prior to this crash, the battery was successfully recharged to 100%, and it was successfully started in the fm mode including the display and and the device was responsive. I locked the device and listened to the fm for about 15 minutes. Then when I wanted to shut it down, the display was black and I could not shut it down and the device reamains unresponsive.