Sansa Fuze and 2010 Prius USB interface

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but figured better to tag onto this one then start another. I’ve been trying to get our Fuzes (we have two of them) to connect to our Gen III Toyota Prius with nav. The Fuze is not recognized at all on the USB interface. The USB tab on the car’s LCD screen remains greyed out no matter what I try to do. Both of our Fuzes have been in MSC mode from Day One because we use Linux at home and I learned (from this forum!) that I had to change the setting. It would be great to get the Fuze working on the USB port. I’d love to hear from someone who’s been able to do it. When I plug my Sansa into a PC it seems to change into a data transmission mode instead of being ‘just a music player’. The screen says, “Connected”, then it says “Writing”, then it goes back to “Connected” and that’s where it stays. The four-colored Sansa icon goes thru its animation and the battery charging icon comes up. I poked around in the settings but didn’t see anything to change. Maybe there’s a different Sansa cable that can be used? I also tried to get the Fuze to work on the “aux” port, but that didn’t work either. I took the car to the dealership. We ended up trying 3 different devices (Fuze and two Apples), 3 USB cables, and 3 different audio cables. The Service Mgr’s Apple worked on the USB interface, but the other Apple didn’t. Our Fuze worked once - with the Service Mgr’s audio cable, but not the other two. I could see no difference between our audio cable and his. He said the Prii are very touchy about the audio cables. He suggested getting a generic Apple-compatible audio cable, because that’s what his is.