Sansa Fuze and 2010 Prius USB interface

[ Edited ]
I just attempted to connect the Fuze to the USB interface in my 2010 Prius. I am not able to read any files in the Fuze on the car screen after engaging the Aux input and selecting USB. Anyone have any similar issue? When the Fuze is connected to the Prius USB input it apparently just powers the Fuze. The Prius reports " no files are available".
Message Edited by lblau1978 on 10-08-2009 03:26 AM
SanDisk Fanatic

Re: Sansa Fuze and 2010 Prius USB interface

MSC or MTP?

Tired of Sansa Media Converter? You want to put videos on your fuze but you can't use SMC? Then, check video4fuze

4Gb black fuze v2.02.26 + 8 Gb class 6 µSD
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Its likely the Device is in "Autodetect" USB mode.  On the PC the files are transferred in MTP mode.

WHen its connected to the Prius,  it only supports MSC mode,  hence no files.

THe solution is to erase all the files.  You can do that by Formatting.

then set the USB mode to "MSC"  and transfer the content in that mode.

Then when you connect to the Prius all the files will be there.

SanDisk User

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but figured better to tag onto this one then start another. I've been trying to get our Fuzes (we have two of them) to connect to our Gen III Toyota Prius with nav. The Fuze is not recognized at all on the USB interface. The USB tab on the car's LCD screen remains greyed out no matter what I try to do. Both of our Fuzes have been in MSC mode from Day One because we use Linux at home and I learned (from this forum!) that I had to change the setting. It would be great to get the Fuze working on the USB port. I'd love to hear from someone who's been able to do it. When I plug my Sansa into a PC it seems to change into a data transmission mode instead of being 'just a music player'. The screen says, "Connected", then it says "Writing", then it goes back to "Connected" and that's where it stays. The four-colored Sansa icon goes thru its animation and the battery charging icon comes up. I poked around in the settings but didn't see anything to change. Maybe there's a different Sansa cable that can be used? I also tried to get the Fuze to work on the "aux" port, but that didn't work either. I took the car to the dealership. We ended up trying 3 different devices (Fuze and two Apples), 3 USB cables, and 3 different audio cables. The Service Mgr's Apple worked on the USB interface, but the other Apple didn't. Our Fuze worked once - with the Service Mgr's audio cable, but not the other two. I could see no difference between our audio cable and his. He said the Prii are very touchy about the audio cables. He suggested getting a generic Apple-compatible audio cable, because that's what his is.
SanDisk Guru

Service manager is an idiot. The Apple cable is NOT compatible with the Fuze. The power and data go through different pins and you can very easily FRY the Fuze with an Apple cable. You need a Sansa cable (Fuze and E200 both use the same cable). The Charging behavior is exactly what it's supposed to do when plugged into a USB if it's making a data connection. When it does, the computer reads the files on the Fuze and plays them back on the computer, not through the headphone jack. How about just running a plug-to-plug cable from the headphone out into AUX in. That might be the easiest solution.
SanDisk User

Hi, Black - Thanks for replying. I'd really like to get this figured out. I didn't explain myself well enough. I'm sure the Sansa and Apple USB data cables are different, and there's no way I woulda tried to jam the Apple USB data cable into my Fuze. I was referring to the headphone port. It's a standard stereo mini-jack. I brought a micrometer with me, and was unable to measure any difference between my mini-jack cable and his. But his cable worked in our Prius on the Aux port, and mine didn't. Plug-to-plug, as you say. Getting it to work on the Aux port with a mini-jack cable would be great, but it would be really neat to get the USB connection working as you describe. Using just the USB data cable, not the USB cable and the mini-jack cable to the Aux port.
SanDisk Guru

You need to find out whether the Prius stereo is MTP or MSC. It must be documented somewhere by the car company. Miniplug to miniplug cables are as standard as it gets. An "Apple-compatible" headphone plug is the same as any other headphone plug, only more expensive.
SanDisk User

"Only more expensive" Smiley Wink Ya got that right. We don't own any Apple products. Mr. Jobs has not put his spell on me. So MTP or MSC is a common protocol? The first time I recall hearing of either term was on this forum after we'd bought our first Fuze. I just assumed it was something that it was a Sansa thing. I've been poking around on the PriusChat Forum - maybe someone knows over there. I'll be back if I figure anything out.
SanDisk User

OK, wikipedia has an article on MTP, MSC, etc. Do you think Apple uses MTP??? According to Wikipedia, MTP is "part of the 'Windows Media' framework"... I would think they'd avoid using a Windows based protocol...
SanDisk User

Here I am, talking to myself - The simplest thing to do might be wipe one of the Fuzes of data, switch to MTP, toss a few songs on there, and see what happens when I plug it into the Prius.