Sansa Fuze Firmware Update

i imagine this will be sansa’s response if any rather than a speedily released patched firmware.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=34183&query.id=52518#M34183

Thanks for the tip about removing the SR icon.

I, for one, am a bit tired of getting beaten over the head about SlotRadio.

My first Fuze blew up. I debated for at least a month about replacing it because I think it is missing a few things I’d really like. Wound up getting a refurb through Ebay for $35 (4gb). Got a V1 to boot.

I run the Sansa updater: “new version of the updater available”. I download it. New update appears to be that it has an ad for Slot Radio.

Stop it already! lol I have zero interest in that product. Mm’ kay? Was on a flight recently and they are selling it through Skymall now, too.

I have heard every argument for Slot Radio… I still do not see a need for it at all.

FEATURE REQUEST: Let me remove the icons I do not use like SR, PHOTOS and VIDEOS.

Message Edited by Peregrine on 10-20-2009 11:32 AM

My Fuze locked up this afternoon (no display, blue ring).  I reset it. Plugged it in for the first time this month, got the ‘update available’.  I had technical support in a chat window…I was advised to complete the update.

??

Two minutes after the update was completed, I found the gain lockup ‘feature’. 

Great.  So now I’m going back to .026A.

Why did tech support tell me to update when they KNOW it doesn’t work? 

…and why is .028A even available?  They should’ve axed it off their updater as soon as they were advised it had a problem.

Wouldn’t that be ‘Sansable’?

Message Edited by canyncarvr on 10-20-2009 06:56 PM

@canyncarvr wrote:

My Fuze locked up this afternoon (no display, blue ring).  I reset it. Plugged it in for the first time this month, got the ‘update available’.  I had technical support in a chat window…I was advised to complete the update.

??

Two minutes after the update was completed, I found the gain lockup ‘feature’. 

Great.  So now I’m going back to .026A.

Why did tech support tell me to update when they KNOW it doesn’t work? 

…and why is .028A even available?  They should’ve axed it off their updater as soon as they were advised it had a problem.

Wouldn’t that be ‘Sansable’?

Message Edited by canyncarvr on 10-20-2009 06:56 PM

They should also ax the Updater itself :dizzy_face:

Yes.  They should ax the updater.  If it doesn’t allow you to backdate your just installed brandy new update…what’s the point?

I’ve been trying to get back to .026A for 1/2 an hour.  My Fuze is in MSC…I downloaded, extracted the .bin file.  I put it on the root of the Fuze.  Disconnected it…no firmware update.

What am I missing?  I presume the ‘root’ does mean the bottom of the Fuze directory tree?  Or…something else?

What a way to waste an evening.  Well…if ‘waste’ was the plan, it is indeed an EXCELLENT way to go about it.

Thanks SanDisk! 

Hello, I am new this forum.

This forum has been a great support resource for me for all things Fuze - thanks everyone :smileyvery-happy:

I just wanted to confirm that after updating my version 2 Fuze (Silver 8GB w/ 16GB microsd card) to the 02.02.28 firmware

that the replay gain anomaly (white screen when trying to invoke / set the replay-gain function) has occured. I have rolled back the

firmware on this unit to the 02.02.26 version and the Fuze does not lock-up (white screen) when the replay-gain function is invoked.

I also own a version 1 Fuze (Black 8GB w/ 16GB microsd card) and did update to the 01.02.28 version of the firmware and have not

experienced the replay gain anomaly, or any issues as I far as I can tell, as I have with the version 2 Fuze. From my small sample size (1 Fuze of each verison), it appears that the replay-gain anomaly is releated to the 02.02.28 firmware and not the 01.02.28 release.

I really like the replay-gain feature that SanDisk released in the x.02.26 firmware and would hope that SanDisk corrects the bug

in the 02.02.28 version of the firmware ASAP with a patch release for owners of the version 2 Fuze. I know it has been six months

between major firmware releases for these products :wink: and we can only hope that the Customer Support and Sustaining Engineering

teams at SanDisk treat this issue with high priority.

Really? so it have to be because of different parts of V2 or somethin’, or maybe the programmers made this bug by mistake, because v1 & v2 FW have the same futeres. Well lets hope the fix out shortly & not after 3 month. Because again "Replay Gain"™ is a must have future for some % of us (me not). 

Sandisk is listening.  This was recently posted in Slotmonsta’s first post in this thread.

Please keep all replies on topic regarding the current release of the Sansa Fuze Firmware.

We have confirmed a bug with Replay Gain in this firmware release. This bug only effects Fuze v2 devices. We are working on a new firmware which should be released very soon and have confirmed the issue is fixed. After the new firmware has passed a full QA cycle the new firmware will be released.  If you have experienced this issue your options are:

1. Temperately turn off replay gain until the next firmware release is available

2. Use the following link to downgrade to the .26 firmware release.  02.02.26 firmware download and instructions 

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience and we hope to have the new firmware available as soon as possible.  

Good job Sandisk and Slotmonsta!

Slotmonsta, the replay gain bug is not only issue with the latest firmware.

And could you please ask the developers why it is so difficult to add an extra icon to folder browsing on the initial screen - they have managed to add a SlotRadio icon after all, why not a folder icon?

And the real bookmarks…  I doubt it is rocket science.

I don’t want anymore icons on the “main screen”.

I don’t envy Sansa. Nigh impossible to please everyone.

@peregrine wrote:

You’ve got that right! What I want from a Sansa could be completely different from the next guy’s wishes…so it’s all about finding the right compromise, which is pretty darned difficult. :wink:

@canyncarvr wrote:

I’ve been trying to get back to .026A for 1/2 an hour.  My Fuze is in MSC…I downloaded, extracted the .bin file.  I put it on the root of the Fuze.  Disconnected it…no firmware update.

What am I missing?  I presume the ‘root’ does mean the bottom of the Fuze directory tree?  Or…something else?

Are you trying the install the correct firmware for your version of player (1 or 2)?

@peregrine wrote:

I don’t want anymore icons on the “main screen”.

Are you talking about a suggested folder icon? If so don’t you worry, you wouldn’t get any. For a nice folder icon there is RockBox!

Personally I don’t want video and photos icons on Sansa … :slight_smile:

No, it’s hard to please everyone. Especially when they are not about pleasing, but about making money.

Re: ‘Are you trying the install the correct firmware for your version of player (1 or 2)?’

Since you asked…

That was my error.  I had the wrong version on my Fuze, so it ignored the update.  The .bin that is extracted from the zip isn’t indicative of what family it belongs to (1 or 2).  The two are certainly DIFFERENT, but if you don’t know how they’re different, the name of the .bin might not click on the ‘This is WRONG’ button in your head.

It didn’t in mine.

It was my error, plain and simple.  I got in too big a hurry to read and comprehend which left my Fuze in a state I also did not comprehend.

I hadth goobered.

@canyncarvr wrote:

I hadth goobered.

When you mean “goobered”, do you mean this —

…this…

…or this…

I like the first one myself.  Makes a good treat at a movie theater.  :smileyvery-happy:

Just wondering, would it be possible for Sandisk to put an option to set a clock as the screensaver, not just the backlight turning off in a future update?

I would find that very handy. 

Re: ‘…do you mean…’

More like’a so…

booger

Message Edited by canyncarvr on 10-22-2009 05:27 PM

Bugs fixed? 

Rating info is lost following database refresh on songs loaded in microSD

I still have this problem, even after upgrading to the latest firmware, 02.02.28F.

Will this be fixed in the next release? 

@saxmaster765 wrote:

Just wondering, would it be possible for Sandisk to put an option to set a clock as the screensaver, not just the backlight turning off in a future update?

I would find that very handy. 

I love my Sansas, but one thing I find troubling about Sansas is the hold switch backlight operation. I prefer, especially for maximum battery life,the backlight nor wheel light to function at all while the hold switch is engaged. The Sansas don’t do that. Just a small brush of the wheel, especially the much freer moving Fuze wheel, turns on the backlight and wheel light.

Fortunately I have a v1 Fuze and was able to install Rockbox. RB keeps all lights off while the hold switch is engaged. Same goes for the other two Sansas I have RB installed on, an e250v1 and e280v2. RB also allows control of the wheel light functionality while hold is off. It can be set to a timer or turned off completely.