Sansa Fuze Firmware Update

@arg wrote:

@etoja wrote:
some people (including me) report sound distortion and lower volume level in the new firmware.

Improper Replay Gain processing can certainly be the culprit of both symptoms_______________

Nope. I never use Replay Gain.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-14-2009 03:11 PM

As far as I know, there are absolutely no problems with the v1 firmware. I have tried to get it to go white with replay gain, and have not seen any issues with sound. I don’t even get how replay gain works anyway, so it wouldn’t even matter anyway.

I does look like the problems might be related only to v2. There are two different processors from ARM for version 1 and 2,  and it affects the firmwire. There might be also some hidden flaws in the v2 - I’m suprised why they refused to release its specification sheet to the RockBox developers.

the firmware ■■■■■ nothing to help the fuze users.                                                

The last we can do is try our luck with technical support, i’m to not use replay gain but it still not fells like use that fw, because of that bugs is like use beta fw. Actually if i think about it now, they maybe could mess something in replay gain, just because it first added in 26 fw, and btw if they had bad english we could fine some hindi speakers to contact them.

Message Edited by namiSWAN on 10-15-2009 11:59 AM

@etoja wrote:
Nope. I never use Replay Gain.

Depending on the bug with the firmware, Replay Gain processing may be imposed without the setting actually being enabled–even without Replay Gain information added to your music. We really need official confirmation of the problem.

GR8 news guys, here a response from support team:

Subject Bugs report in last 02.02.28 fw for fuze v2    Discussion Thread   (Florin Ion) 10/15/2009 05:05 AM

Hello Denis,

Thank you for contacting Sandisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

I have escalated this issue to the development department in order to find a fix as soon as possible.

Thank you for letting us know.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any further concern.

Best regards,
Florin I.
SanDisk Technical Support

And here another one:

Subject Fuze firmware update 02.02.28 bug.    Discussion Thread   (Cezar Ciubancan) 10/15/2009 05:19 AM

Dear Denis,

Thanks for emailing SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

There have been some issues. We investigated and some of the users encountered problems when updating to the last firmware on Sansa Fuze.

Our technicians are working right now in order to solve the problem. You will be noticed when as soon as we will have news.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. For now , please downgrade the firmware to the previous one.

Please refer to your http://kb-he.sandisk.com/app/home anytime to see additional resources from Sandisk.

Also, you can visit http://kb.sandisk.com/app/home, our online keyword searchable Knowledgebase, to easily find answers to your Technical Support and Customer Service questions for all of SanDisk’s products. Simply enter your search terms and our Knowledgebase will search an extensive database of commonly asked questions as well as our online forums at http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/ to provide you with the most complete answers possible.

Best regards,
Cezar C.
Sandisk Technical Support

So cross fingers !!!

and btw, maybe the function iself meke sound distortion to, lets wait for responce from v1 users.

@SanDisk Technical Support wrote:
We are sorry for the inconvenience. For now , please downgrade the firmware to the previous one.

Oh noes…

Link to V1 01.02.26 firmware is here.

Link to V2 02.02.26 firmware is here.

Message Edited by arg on 10-15-2009 10:34 AM

They didnt say if the bug apply to v1 btw, so maybe v1 users too have that bugs?

@namiswan wrote:

Do not hesitate to contact us for any further concern.

Best regards,
Florin I.
SanDisk Technical Support

And here another one:

You will be noticed when as soon as we will have news.

So cross fingers !!!

and btw, maybe the function iself meke sound distortion to, lets wait for responce from v1 users.

@namiswan "You will be noticed… " and punished. :)  Btw, is it a correct English “you will be noticed”? I would think “notified” is more appropriate.

@namiswan wrote:
They didnt say if the bug apply to v1 btw, so maybe v1 users too have that bugs?

It’s hard to say what is going on. I would downgrade if I had a V1 just in case, so I provided a link to that as well.

@ssorgatem wrote:

@dunny wrote:

Country code. 

If you have a “A”, it’s America. F is france, iirc. Mine is T for Test - has an extra diagnostic menu which includes a really freaky microphone test function :slight_smile:

D.

How did you get that? I want too! xD Perhaps changing the “Region” string in the file version.sdk? I’ve to try it :slight_smile:

BTW, my fuze reports F, but version.sdk says “Americas” and internally it’s set to Europe/Spanish. Maybe the “F” means Europe?

Message Edited by ssorgatem on 10-13-2009 02:15 PM

Basically, just do a manual firmware update - then extract the .bin file from the zip. I found a file called “fuzpA.bin”. I renamed that to “fuzpT.bin” and then copied to the root of the my fuze’s internal storage. Once installed, head to the settings menu and have a bash at the Diagnostics item. Once running, move through it using the “down” button.

Aside - anyone found a reliable method of getting rid of the slotradio icon? I gather some managed by changing their region, but I have no idea how to do it.

D.
Message Edited by Dunny on 10-15-2009 06:06 PM

My MediaMonkey ratings were not transferred to the device.  I thought that the ratings bug was fixed!

@dunny wrote:

Aside - anyone found a reliable method of getting rid of the slotradio icon? I gather some managed by changing their region, but I have no idea how to do it.

Go into Settings -> System Settings -> Reset Factory Settings. Once you perform the reset you’ll be presented with a list of regions to select from. Select anything other than America. If you use the radio functionality you’ll probably want to change Settings -> Radio Options -> FM Region to your proper region.

This worked on my V2 before I reverted back to the 02.02.26 firmware.

Message Edited by arg on 10-15-2009 01:14 PM

I get my ratings transferred from MediaMonkey by using the Fuze in MTP mode and doing automatic sync.  Beware that syncing back will round half-star ratings to a full star in MM.

No love on the SD card, though, no matter what I tried.

@totient wrote:

I get my ratings transferred from MediaMonkey by using the Fuze in MTP mode and doing automatic sync.  Beware that syncing back will round half-star ratings to a full star in MM.

No love on the SD card, though, no matter what I tried.

You can sync *back* from fuze to MM? I could never get that to work, even in MTP mode. Can you confirm that you can:

Step 1. Sync ratings from MM to Fuze

Step 2. Change ratings on the Fuze

Step 3. Sync changed ratings from Fuze back to MM

This also works on my V1. Thanks!

Also - it seems the graphic glitch from the last release has been fixed.  When the display was lit (e.g. from adjusting volume) and the artist/title/album info was scrolling, whenever it changed lines (from title to album, for instance) a small line of corrupt pixels appeared on the album image.  Kinda freaky how it did it with Warren Zevon’s “Excitable Boy”…it looked like a cigarette magically appeared in his mouth.

fuzeduo wrote: 

You can sync *back* from fuze to MM? I could never get that to work, even in MTP mode. Can you confirm that you can:

Step 1. Sync ratings from MM to Fuze

Step 2. Change ratings on the Fuze

Step 3. Sync changed ratings from Fuze back to MM

Affirmative.  This is with Rev 1 8GB Fuze, Vista Home Premium, MediaMonkey Gold 3.1.0.1256, MTP mode, auto-sync.

Sync config:

Auto-Sync Options:

only “Delete tracks that aren’t on the Auto-Sync list from the device” checked.  Sync from device to pc greyed out.

Auto-Conversion: Any Incompatible to MP3

Device Configuration:

Sync tracks to “\Music\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>”

Copy playlists checked (options: only Library playlists, destination \Playlists)

Use only the first genre… checked.

That’s it.

Any news about the fix for new fw?

@namiswan wrote:
Any news about the fix for new fw?

With _ this _ firmware update having only been released 9 days ago?

Hardly. Check back in about 3 months.