Sansa Fuze Firmware Update version 01.01.22 & 02.01.17

Thanks.  Yes, the USB is set to autodetect.  I have tried both the installer and manually dragging the file to the device.  If you look at my previous posts you can see everything I have tried.  I have used the installer 10 times probably, I have manually dragged the unzipped  fuzba.bin file into the root directory at least 5 times and it still hasn’t updated.  When I unplug the device it 'refreshes media" and then turns off but it never goes through the update.

If you read previous posts you will see that I drag the bin file to the device, it shows that is was copied but as soon as I check it it shows that it is still the old bin file with the old modified date.  

I have tried a soft reset as well, all with no success.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to get the firmware updated.

@dwtc wrote:
When I try to drag the fuzpa.bin file to the root directory (labeled Internal Memory) it won’t let me.  I see the old one there, but it won’t let me drag it.  It is acting like “Internal Memory” is not a folder that can be dragged to.  I drag things all the time loading the player, and I have created folders in the root directory, but it won’t let me drag this file there.  Any suggestions?

The fact that your Fuze is labeled as ‘Internal Memory’ tells me it is in MTP mode. Even if you have it set to Auto, this setting defaults to MTP.

The player must be in MSC mode in order to accept the firmware update. Manually select MSC mode. It (your player) will now be seen in Windows Explorer under Devices with Removable Storage instead of Other as in MTP mode. Dropping the .bin file into the root directory now should update your player in no time. :smiley:

That did it.  Thanks so much.  I am not sure what the problem was, but I changed from autoselect on USB to what you said and it installed easily.

I appreciate it.

@friarpark wrote:

"Has Sandisk found a fix for Sansa Fuze turning white and no way to reset or fix even after formatting and updating the firmware?:angry:"

Have you tried sliding the on button to the on position and holding it there until it reboots?  Works for me.

This happened to me and I got a replacement from Sandisk.

Just got a Fuze, things seem to work okay but I wanted to update the firmware (it is rev 2). Unfortunately, when I unpack the files, I get an error message that it cannot be extracted because it is corrupted. I tried downloading through the updater with, effectively the same results: downloads the files and then tells me it cannot install them.

I’m running XP SP2.

Tried it from a different machine to see if there was something on my end that was causing the glitch, but got the same results. I have run searches on just about every word combination but haven’t come up with a post on corrupted firmware update files. If anybody knows about this, I’d most appreciate direction.

@lomax wrote:

Hi Guys,

haven’t been here for a while, actually since I downloaded the update and commended Sansa on the sleep timer.

Only later I found out that it is not possible anymore to page through the files of an audio book while listening. You know what I am talking about? When you are listening to music a short press left or right takes you to the next or previous song/file.This is how it was with the previous firmware in audiobook, too.

Now, you have to “Pause”, then hold the left or right button and page through the files in “fast” mode. If you want to change just 1 file you are in trouble. :smiley:(or at least you need a darn good timing)

Anyone else notice that and is there a fix for it?

Otherwise, gents and lasies, I must say the Fuze is the best thing since sliced bread… Am glad I never followed the ipod hype!!!

Lomax

Hi All, please, has anyone experienced the same problem and if so, how can I solve it? Or do I have to wait for the next update?

Thx, L

I have not heard of this, but the only audiobook I have is my Audio New Testament, and its not really in audiobook format (I ripped the cd to ogg and play it like music mostly) I have an audiobook that I want to add for school but I need pages, SO I could play only page 1 for instance, the fuze wont do this so I leave it on my computer, Haveing the ability you are requesting would be closer to what I need. But I dont really mind.

@lomax wrote:

@lomax wrote:

Hi Guys,

haven’t been here for a while, actually since I downloaded the update and commended Sansa on the sleep timer.

Only later I found out that it is not possible anymore to page through the files of an audio book while listening. You know what I am talking about? When you are listening to music a short press left or right takes you to the next or previous song/file.This is how it was with the previous firmware in audiobook, too.

Now, you have to “Pause”, then hold the left or right button and page through the files in “fast” mode. If you want to change just 1 file you are in trouble. :smiley:(or at least you need a darn good timing)

Anyone else notice that and is there a fix for it?

Otherwise, gents and lasies, I must say the Fuze is the best thing since sliced bread… Am glad I never followed the ipod hype!!!

Lomax

Hi All, please, has anyone experienced the same problem and if so, how can I solve it? Or do I have to wait for the next update?

Thx, L

With a AudioBook playing [This is important]

Settings  > AudioBook Options  > Ch. Mode ‘ON’

• ‘ON’ allows you to skip to the next chapter in the book, similar to skipping to the next song.
  • ‘OFF’ stops you from accidentally going to the next chapter when you use the ‘>>’ key …

- SlotCAR

I was just wondering, whats the difference between 01.01.22 and 02.01.17?

I have 01.01.22 right now and tried updating to 02.01.17 by downloading the file, extracting and putting the .bin on the root of my fuze and it didn’t do anything. I tried using the updater and it didn’t find any updates. and yes my mp3 player is in msc mode.

@xcrownedclownx wrote:

I was just wondering, whats the difference between 01.01.22 and 02.01.17?

I have 01.01.22 right now and tried updating to 02.01.17 by downloading the file, extracting and putting the .bin on the root of my fuze and it didn’t do anything. I tried using the updater and it didn’t find any updates. and yes my mp3 player is in msc mode.

You can’t do that …you have a Revision 1 Fuze, and you have the newest firmware.The 02 firmware is for the Rev. 2 Fuze (don’t stress…they work the same way):smiley:

There are two revisions of the Sansa Fuze, starting with firmwares 01 and 02.  The firmware versions will behave identically.  The difference is necessary for slightly different hardware configurations between the two revisions.

Is is not possible to swap firmware versions between the two revisions, nor would be of any advantage.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thx, L

With a AudioBook playing [This is important]

Settings  > AudioBook Options  > Ch. Mode ‘ON’

• ‘ON’ allows you to skip to the next chapter in the book, similar to skipping to the next song.
  • ‘OFF’ stops you from accidentally going to the next chapter when you use the ‘>>’ key …

- SlotCAR

Hi SlotCAR,

U r a star, thanks. The setting must have changed from “on” to “off” during the update. Now it’s working.

Cheers Mate,

L

so, it seems the problem with the fuze shutting down after playing oggs still exists, eh?

ok so how long is this update suppose to take I just bought mine, I’m not new to sana I’ve had 3 of the previouse versions so i know the update routine. But my when I plugged my Fuze in for the first time it says it needs a firmware update and so i said ok. It’s been sitting at 10% for 3 hours this can’t be normal?

Any suggestions???

I have been playing with my Fuze a lot!  I have, however, found some ideas for future firmware updates:

I would personally like to see setting an image as my background, zooming in on images, more supported video formats, data on radio stations (song, artist, etc. like the Zune), support for WMA lossless as I don’t want another program on my computer, and gapless audio playback. I like the transitions in some albums/audiobooks!

There is also an “AnythingButiPod” forum about this that I would encourage anyone associated with the Sansa Fuze firmware development process to look at:

What would you like to see in the next Firmware update?

and another forum on this site that I started:

What we would like to see in future firmware updates

Thanks!

XC Fan

Here is one of the more annoying features of Fuze that I discovered, and I hope will be addressed in the next firmware update. If you shut down your PC with the Fuze still connected, the Fuze turns itself on and start playing. This is most annoying - imaging syncing your Fuze, fully charging it, then getting some work done on the PC, shutting it down only to discover the next morning that the Fuze is only 2/3 full because it spent the night playing some very long playlist I’ve got.

Ok this is going to sound dumb, but I am very new to the PMP world really…

I am wanting to do a firmware update to the fuse my girlfriend just bought… (and we use Ubuntu 8.10) I went through the instructions but I didn’t see a root folder to drop the firmwar upate into listed…

Or do you just drop the firmware update right there with the music, video folders etc…

A little embarressing to have to ask I guess… but I would rather ask than screw something up.

The root directory is where you see the various folders (video, music, podcasts, etc.). Drag and drop there and off you go!

Ahhh, Ok!!

Thank you very much cammoy!   I was just worried I was going to put it somewhere I wasn’t supposed to and screw everything up… Murphy’s Law  hunts me daily!

@kookoo wrote:
Here is one of the more annoying features of Fuze that I discovered, and I hope will be addressed in the next firmware update. If you shut down your PC with the Fuze still connected, the Fuze turns itself on and start playing. This is most annoying - imaging syncing your Fuze, fully charging it, then getting some work done on the PC, shutting it down only to discover the next morning that the Fuze is only 2/3 full because it spent the night playing some very long playlist I’ve got.

Sounds like you should get a wall charger. :wink: Either that, or pause your Fuze before you plug it in.