Sansa Fuze Firmware Update version 01.01.22 & 02.01.17

@tapeworm wrote:

@microwindowsxp1 wrote:
I download the firmware on my fuze I it works great.  But under settings, there is a new feature.  Sleep.  But sleep is the same thing as power saver.

Close, but not quite.

Power Saver feature will shut down your player in the ‘set’ amount of minutes if it is ‘in-active’, meaning on pause and not playing anything.

Sleep Mode shuts down your player in the ‘set’ amount of time, if it IS’active’, meaning playing something. So you can be listening to music or an audio book (like you would use the sleep timer on your radio alarm clock) when you go to bed, and it will turn off in however many minutes you set it for. That way it won’t be on all night draining your battery.

Although why anyone would want to go to sleep with those earbuds still in their ears, I don’t know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Many TV’s also have this function, as many people go to sleep watching them.

I’ve been doing it ever since devices have had sleep timer functions…:smiley:

I do usually wake up briefly at some point and restart my device or switch on a table radio, and remove the headphones.  Ever since I was a child I could not fall asleep without music or talking.  Glad the “sleep timer” is in Place!!!

Or I can hook up my Fuze to my computer speakers and use the sleep feature that way.  Plays music through my little 2.0 system and turns itself off on its own.  Nice addition. 

To use the sleep function in style, you can use this wee beastie.  I like to have something peaceful in the background, perhaps one of the Rhapsody Channels, with a nice classical or something to meditate on.

Stereo isn’t critical for the background, and I can use rechargeables with the unit.

Of course, you can try the sleep function with the dock as well.

Bob  :smiley:

Can I download the firmware and not the updater?

@g33z3r wrote:

Yes!

Can anyone confirm that SMC is still required?

I’ve run a quick check with Any DVD converter

(Video 220x176@20fps 768kb/s / Audio 44.1 - 128) - no go!

Saying  - You need to use SMC…

Was the fix planned for this f/w update or for the next one?

Message Edited by alexz on 12-12-2008 10:04 PM

The cursor position for audiobooks is just great.  Thank you!

Sleep mode is nice too.  Audiobooks listeners will like this – at least those of us who like to fall asleep listening to a book will like it!  Please see the thread about the bug in sleep mode (the one where if you set sleep mode, then reset it to 0, it goes to sleep anyway). 

Good update. 

@g33z3r wrote:

Of course! Just download the firmware itself, then extract the zip file and put the resulting .bin file on your Fuze’s root directory (as in, if you use Windoze, double click your Fuze’s drive letter in My Computer and put the .bin there; feel free to ask if you use Linux ;-P)

Tapeworm wrote:   …

Although why anyone would want to go to sleep with those earbuds still in their ears, I don’t know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Many TV’s also have this function, as many people go to sleep watching them.

I sleep with the buds in… It was a bit uncomortable at first but I got used to it… minor discomfort is way better than lack of sleep because of trains and a roommate whose snores sound like an earthquake:robotmad:. This is why I LOVE the sleep timer:robotvery-happy:.
Message Edited by Conversionbox on 12-13-2008 01:50 AM

Thanks for the update.  It fixed my podcasts issues.  :smiley:

Now I see that they hide the firmware download with the “All Regions” moniker.

Why not call it “Firmware Only?”

Message Edited by G33Z3R on 12-13-2008 05:25 AM

@g33z3r wrote:
Now I see that they hide the firmware download with the “All Regions” moniker.

Why not call it “Firmware Only?”

Message Edited by G33Z3R on 12-13-2008 05:25 AM

Was it that hard to find… Really?

@alexz wrote:

Can anyone confirm that SMC is still required?

I’ve run a quick check with Any DVD converter

(Video 220x176@20fps 768kb/s / Audio 44.1 - 128) - no go!

Saying  - You need to use SMC…

Was the fix planned for this f/w update or for the next one?

There’s no mention of it in the f/w change log.

Probably in this case, no news is not good news.

I really like the sleep timer and the new reworked go list, 200 song with the ability to add hole CD’d… Great stuff.  So far as the sleep timer goes i wander if some are having difficulty with that and how it relates to the power saver that powers the unit off after a pre set time of non inactivity.

Paul, How are you?

I’m really having a hard time not installing this firmware up date right away!!  I know give it time and let the bugs show them selves…  But I’m not sure I can… I never did the last upgrade I’m still running 01.01.11a. But then again the old firmware does what I want it to do and does it well…  But the GO list and sleep timer… Oh My…  Help!  Maybe duck-tape will help me refrain for a while till I Chew through it anyway!!  LOL!!:dizzy_face: 

Message Edited by George-W on 12-13-2008 12:16 PM

Can someone elaborate on the cursor posistion function for audiobooks? I have the Ch. Mode set to “on”, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I don’t see anything different when playing an audiobook.

Will I be able to inculde podcasts on my golist?  I was able to do that on my e260, but not on my Fuze.

Yay!  With the sleep timer, my Fuze is now complete.  I was using a rockbox’d e260 to lull me to sleep, but now I can use the Fuze.  I know Rockbox is being developed for the new Sansa line, but I’m not sure I really need it since the Fuze has everything I want that Rockbox had.  The only problem now is the long refresh time for the database.

@ranger67 wrote:
Can someone elaborate on the cursor posistion function for audiobooks? I have the Ch. Mode set to “on”, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I don’t see anything different when playing an audiobook.

The cursor positioner is used in cases where the audiobook is published as multiple files (e.g. Overdrive books do it this way).  Prior to this firmware rev, the Fuze would save the resumable position in an individual file, but wouldn’t remember which file of the book’s fileset you had been accessing when you left it.

Now, if you’re accessing a book with multiple files contained in one directory, when you leave the audiobook then return, your cursor will be positioned on the file you were listening to when you left.  There, you press enter, then approve resuming the file as usual.

Does that make sense?

Message Edited by MyDD on 12-13-2008 12:19 PM

Well, I have been a bad boy! I just updated the firmware on my 8GB fuze to the newest version

01.01.22a!!:dizzy_face:I really know I should have waited But with the new features GO list with the ability to add full CD’s and the sleep timer. I just could not help myself! I have not used the unit yet and  rip to MP3’s 100% of the time… Fingers crossed!!  But figure I can always go back to my original 01.01.11a that has worked so well for what I use the fuze for!!  George

How do I do this? GoList expanded to 200 tracks
• Add entire Artist or Album to GoList with press and hold during navigation.

I can’t seen to get the hole CD artist cd to my GO list like I can with single songs!  George

ATT 

Ok I figured out how to add entire CD’d to the GO list but now I can’t figure out how to delete the entire GO list…  Can you guys help… Thanks!  George

OK I figured it out!!  Not sure how or just what I did but it can be done song by song or entire GO list and deletion is fast to!! George 

Message Edited by George-W on 12-13-2008 05:15 PM