Sansa Fuze Firmware Update version 01.01.22 & 02.01.17

@avalon wrote:

I would like to bring up my only ask at this point…please increase the track limit so that I can use the full capacity of the Fuze which is why I purchased it and a uSD card several months ago.

I believe that several of your posts indicated that the limit increase was to be included in this release.

He said it was to be increased, but never said it was going to be in this release. Quite the contrary, he said it was a major undertaking and would NOT be included in this version.

Here’s his latest word on the subject from yesterday (12/11/08):

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=9307#M9307

@sansafix wrote:
That feature is in development for a future release.

Thanks for letting us know :wink:. At the end of my my firmware after updating, it has the letter A. What does that mean?

In MSC mode, on the internal memory, the AUDIOBOOK and PODCASTS directories are in the root directory.  With the firmware released today, audiobooks and podcasts are reportedly supported on the expansion card.  But I notice that the firmware has created AUDIOBOOK and PODCASTS directories inside the Music directory on the expansion card instead of in the root, as the internal memory is organized.

I don’t know if there is any significance to this but I thought it odd.

Guy

Check I think it is not Music but MSC.  This is the collection spot for content found from MSC mode.

If you use MSC mode,  you will see the Podcast and Audiobook folders at the root.

@guyscharf wrote:

In MSC mode, on the internal memory, the AUDIOBOOK and PODCASTS directories are in the root directory.  With the firmware released today, audiobooks and podcasts are reportedly supported on the expansion card.  But I notice that the firmware has created AUDIOBOOK and PODCASTS directories inside the Music directory on the expansion card instead of in the root, as the internal memory is organized.

I don’t know if there is any significance to this but I thought it odd.

Guy

I have found the same thing on my Fuze…although I’ll probably just delete them since I use my Clip for podcasts. Thanks for the sleep timer SansaFix, btw.:smiley:

@d_headshot wrote:

@sansafix wrote:
That feature is in development for a future release.

Thanks for letting us know :wink:. At the end of my my firmware after updating, it has the letter A. What does that mean?

America :smiley:

Thanks for the new firmware. I can confirm this has fixed the skipping/popping with backlight off with certain files for me. I haven’t quite got used to the accelerated scrolling yet, but I’ll give it a go. I would still prefer Rio Karma style first-letter alphabetic scrolling if you could ever do that.

Regarding the sleep timer, nice feature, but I think the “Shut down in XXX mins” setting seems to alter the incorrect way in relation to scrolling the wheel - the numbers decrease when rotating clockwise and increase when rotating anti-clockwise, where I think it should be the other way round. The similar setting in the Power Saver setting works correctly.

Message Edited by pelago on 12-12-2008 11:29 PM

My apologies,

SansaFix indicated "We are working on it,  but it wont be in the next update,  more likely the following one. "

…Just a little anxious.  The Fuze is a great product, particularly if the song limit is increased to allow better use of the expansion capability.

I’m elated to see that Audible on the µSD card has been repaired.

And a sleep timer!  Now how cool is that?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I download the firmware on my fuze I it works great.  But under settings, there is a new feature.  Sleep.  But sleep is the same thing as power saver.

@microwindowsxp1 wrote:
I download the firmware on my fuze I it works great.  But under settings, there is a new feature.  Sleep.  But sleep is the same thing as power saver.

Close, but not quite.

Power Saver feature will shut down your player in the ‘set’ amount of minutes if it is ‘in-active’, meaning on pause and not playing anything.

Sleep Mode shuts down your player in the ‘set’ amount of time, if it IS’active’, meaning playing something. So you can be listening to music or an audio book (like you would use the sleep timer on your radio alarm clock) when you go to bed, and it will turn off in however many minutes you set it for. That way it won’t be on all night draining your battery.

Although why anyone would want to go to sleep with those earbuds still in their ears, I don’t know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Many TV’s also have this function, as many people go to sleep watching them.

@microwindowsxp1 wrote:

The sleep feature works perfectly for me.  The unit shuts down at the prescribed time and when the unit is turned back on, it picks up exactly where it left off.

@tapeworm wrote:

@microwindowsxp1 wrote:

Close, but not quite.

Power Saver feature will shut down your player in the ‘set’ amount of minutes if it is ‘in-active’, meaning on pause and not playing anything.

Sleep Mode shuts down your player in the ‘set’ amount of time, if it IS’active’, meaning playing something. So you can be listening to music or an audio book (like you would use the sleep timer on your radio alarm clock) when you go to bed, and it will turn off in however many minutes you set it for. That way it won’t be on all night draining your battery.

Although why anyone would want to go to sleep with those earbuds still in their ears, I don’t know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Many TV’s also have this function, as many people go to sleep watching them.

I’ve been doing it ever since devices have had sleep timer functions…:smiley:

I do usually wake up briefly at some point and restart my device or switch on a table radio, and remove the headphones.  Ever since I was a child I could not fall asleep without music or talking.  Glad the “sleep timer” is in Place!!!

Or I can hook up my Fuze to my computer speakers and use the sleep feature that way.  Plays music through my little 2.0 system and turns itself off on its own.  Nice addition. 

To use the sleep function in style, you can use this wee beastie.  I like to have something peaceful in the background, perhaps one of the Rhapsody Channels, with a nice classical or something to meditate on.

Stereo isn’t critical for the background, and I can use rechargeables with the unit.

Of course, you can try the sleep function with the dock as well.

Bob  :smiley:

Can I download the firmware and not the updater?

@g33z3r wrote:

Yes!

Can anyone confirm that SMC is still required?

I’ve run a quick check with Any DVD converter

(Video 220x176@20fps 768kb/s / Audio 44.1 - 128) - no go!

Saying  - You need to use SMC…

Was the fix planned for this f/w update or for the next one?

Message Edited by alexz on 12-12-2008 10:04 PM

The cursor position for audiobooks is just great.  Thank you!

Sleep mode is nice too.  Audiobooks listeners will like this – at least those of us who like to fall asleep listening to a book will like it!  Please see the thread about the bug in sleep mode (the one where if you set sleep mode, then reset it to 0, it goes to sleep anyway). 

Good update. 

@g33z3r wrote:

Of course! Just download the firmware itself, then extract the zip file and put the resulting .bin file on your Fuze’s root directory (as in, if you use Windoze, double click your Fuze’s drive letter in My Computer and put the .bin there; feel free to ask if you use Linux ;-P)