Sansa Fuze Firmware Update version 01.01.22 & 02.01.17

@reviewboy wrote:

I must say, the programming book that came with that TRS-80 was one of the best I’ve ever seen.  My father still speaks of it with fondness, and regret that more books aren’t like that. 

Agreed on that.  Still have a copy somewhere in the mess…

@reviewboy wrote:

Speaking of firmware upgrade: the TRS-80 level II came in a kit that provided 16Kb (4x RAM!) and a 2x speed improvement in the cassette interface (300 baud!).  We hacked our cassette player - a Realistic, natch - so we could hear the ones and zeroes being read in. You knew your program wouldn’t load if it kept right past the silence to the next program.  Rewind, adjust the volume, and try again.  It was often faster to re-enter the program by hand.  The magazines at the time were 90% source code. Many of them stank, so you learned by debugging, then rewriting.

It’s not that I MISS those days, but I do have fond memories.

Radio Shack sold a tape-based game called ‘Defense Command’ that used the cassette output to create recognizable speech synthesis at 300 baud.  Halo, Schmalo!  =)  Or string packing in ‘Dancing Demon’.  Or having to load ‘kbfix’ from tape when you first booted up to sstopp tthhe ddannnggeed kkeey rrepppeaat…

I bought an LNW expansion interface to bring my TRS-80 up to 48 kb RAM and into the 5.25" floppy era.  Only $4 for a whopping 90 kb of rewritable storage!  (plus the $400 drive with a solenoid that could knock pictures off the wall.)

Still have a mostly complete set of ‘80 Micro’ somewhere in the mess.  For a while a writer named David Busch (I think) had a humor column titled Kitchen Table Software that was the computer equivalent of Dave Barry.  (Goggling…)  OMG…

…I actually remembered the name ~and~ the spelling!  Close to three decades my brain cell can hang on to that, but can it remember where I just put my glasses or why the cat is yelling at me with her bowl in her paws?!?  Boheimers…

@bobqat wrote:

@reviewboy wrote:

Speaking of firmware upgrade: the TRS-80 level II came in a kit that provided 16Kb (4x RAM!) and a 2x speed improvement in the cassette interface (300 baud!).  We hacked our cassette player - a Realistic, natch - so we could hear the ones and zeroes being read in. You knew your program wouldn’t load if it kept right past the silence to the next program.  Rewind, adjust the volume, and try again.  It was often faster to re-enter the program by hand.  The magazines at the time were 90% source code. Many of them stank, so you learned by debugging, then rewriting.

It’s not that I MISS those days, but I do have fond memories.

Radio Shack sold a tape-based game called ‘Defense Command’ that used the cassette output to create recognizable speech synthesis at 300 baud.  Halo, Schmalo!  =)  Or string packing in ‘Dancing Demon’.  Or having to load ‘kbfix’ from tape when you first booted up to sstopp tthhe ddannnggeed kkeey rrepppeaat…

I bought an LNW expansion interface to bring my TRS-80 up to 48 kb RAM and into the 5.25" floppy era.  Only $4 for a whopping 90 kb of rewritable storage!  (plus the $400 drive with a solenoid that could knock pictures off the wall.)

Still have a mostly complete set of ‘80 Micro’ somewhere in the mess.  For a while a writer named David Busch (I think) had a humor column titled Kitchen Table Software that was the computer equivalent of Dave Barry.  (Goggling…)  OMG…

80 Microcomputing

…I actually remembered the name ~and~ the spelling!  Close to three decades my brain cell can hang on to that, but can it remember where I just put my glasses or why the cat is yelling at me with her bowl in her paws?!?  Boheimers…

What a walk down memory lane this has been!  What a treat.  Dancing Demon! Defense Command!  Those games where little blobs moved across the screen firing slow-moving pellets that gave me more nightmares than DOOM ever did.  the expansion box that helped you connect printers, add memory, connect disk drives, and that one connnector I never did figure out what it did.  In today’s dollars, that was close to a six thousand dollar rig.

Remember Pillbox?  The game that exploited the Model I’s unshielded case so you could tune into an AM radio and hear the screen redrawing itself? (Couldn’t watch television when the computer was on for similar reasons.  Ah, the frontier days of home computing…)  “it’s not a bug, it’s a feature!”  Folks exploited it to make music on that little box - I even had a piano app - long before there were sound cards.

Relive the glory: TRS-80 emulators! http://www.discover-net.net/~dmkeil/index.htm

A TRS-80 was my first computer as well. I was 6 y/o at the time and even I was able to read and follow that programming book and then learnt how to modify the examples to do what I’d like to with it.

It’s just a shame that (at least in Australia) the available software and games and support from Tandy (we didn’t have Radioshack in Australia) was so bad. I only had it for a year and then traded it in for a Commodore C64 with disk drive etc.

@slotmonsta wrote:

OK guys, this tread is getting way off topic. This thread is intended for the discussion of the current firmware release. Please only post if you have questions or issues with this particular firmware release. There is a board dedicated to firmware suggestions so if your post is related to a wishlist or firmware suggestion please post your suggestion in the firmware suggestion board. This thread has become less and less useful because of the constant posting of unrelated comments and topics. Please keep things on topic.

The next firmware release passed QA this weekend and it will likely be posted early this week. We are working to get the new firmware released as soon as possible so please be patient.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Don’t mean ta’ burst yo’ bubble, but you guys are getting quite off topic. Might want to move your discussion to another thread.

Are we there yet? (To a hundred pages):smileyvery-happy:

Nope, 28% from there.

No, not yet. But we still have some time. It’s not here yet.:smileyvery-happy:

@slotmonsta wrote:

The next firmware release passed QA this weekend and it will likely be posted early this week. We are working to get the new firmware released as soon as possible so please be patient.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

Well, it being Wednesday, 1:30pm PDT (SanDisk time) the early part of the week is officially over…

…Adding, Internet forum tech geeks being patient? Hahahahahahaha! That’s a good one… 

Well, he did say “likely”, that’s not a guarantee.  I am wondering what the additional holdup is.  Passing QA should be the final test.

There he is!

Has anyone noticed any changes?  I haven’t noticed anything different.

Read the release notes in the new topic. There are a few new features, but most of it is enhancements and bug fixes you wouldn’t notice unless you’ve been affected by the relevant issues.

Oh well, no one is going to get to the finish line (100 pages). :smileyvery-happy:

@mags1230 wrote:

Oh well, no one is going to get to the finish line (100 pages). :smileyvery-happy:

If you are really craving for 100 pages, you can edit your preferences and show less posts per page. Enjoy!

@7o9 wrote:

@mags1230 wrote:

If you are really craving for 100 pages, you can edit your preferences and show less posts per page. Enjoy!

That is the post of the day!

is it possible to get the version 01.01.22 back on my fuze? i wnat to use rockbox but was told that it wont work with version 02.01.17. its either that or is there a mystical (hardware) first version?

Firmware starting 02. means you have a ‘hardware revision 2’ device. You can not install 01. firmwares on it and it would not help anyway.

Rockbox only works on ‘hardware revision 1’ devices (the original Fuze). There is little movement on getting Rockbox to work on the ‘revision 2’ hardware because the hardware is different and I don’t think any of the active developers have a ‘revision 2’ device.

OK i have a problem my friend has a new sansa fuze update (and me too)but i dont like this because the sound is sooooo bad now and my question is can i get the old update or sth back because i like metal soos bad and now i cant listen the song correctly:D

So does sb can help me?Please! 

The sound quality should not have been affected by the firmware update. If by “bad” you mean the volume is lower and you selected Europe as your region, try this.