Reply
SanDisk Fanatic
Posts: 372
Registered: ‎07-24-2008

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update

Ah, ok. I really don't care if it's erased, but there's some funny stuff on there, I think. Or is that another one? Nevermind...

The Saxmaster

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."-Douglas Adams

SanDisk User
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎04-06-2009

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update


@Black-Rectangle wrote:
The new firmware is not only going to fix every previous bug, but also going to solve the world economic crisis and inaugurate world peace.

And North Korea's missile threats?

 

 

 

now that was funny!!

SanDisk User
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎03-11-2009

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update


@Truex wrote:

@Black-Rectangle wrote:
The new firmware is not only going to fix every previous bug, but also going to solve the world economic crisis and inaugurate world peace.

And North Korea's missile threats?

 

 

You'll note that launch didn't go so well.

 

And you wondered why the firmware was late...

 

SanDisk Senior User
Posts: 143
Registered: ‎01-24-2008

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update

[ Edited ]

@Marvin_Martian wrote:

@lewislink wrote:
I gotta say, if everyone keeps making such a fuss about the newest firmware releases, Sandisk is gonna see a potential market opportunity. They may just say their FW updates are so valuable that they could sell them. And then begin to do so.

Let's not give them any ideas Smiley Happy I hear the newer iPhone upgrades that would also apply to the iTouch have to be purchased.....I would hope Sansa doesn't follow suit.


 

I'm with ya on that. But I have seen stranger things happen in the market system. Lets hope, like you say, that doesn't happen. Smiley Surprised
Message Edited by lewislink on 04-07-2009 06:18 PM
Newbie
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-07-2009

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update


@Reviewboy wrote:

@saxmaster765 wrote:

@Reviewboy wrote:

This thread is starting to feel like living in a Simpsons clip.

 

10 print "Bart: Are we there yet?'"

20 print "Homer: 'No.'"

30 goto 10

 

Is that BASIC?
Yep.  And not the fancy vb.net stuff neither - that code worked on a 1977-era TRS-80 with 4K (that's 4096 BYTES) of memory.
 I just totally dated myself.

 


Fine.  Make me register just to totally date myself, as well  X^}

 

The above looks like TRS-80 Level II BASIC.  Remember Level I BASIC?  The entire error reporting system consisted of WHAT? (syntax) and HOW? (logic)  Ah, the good old days... 

 

Just got my 4 GB Fuze last week, a refurb from Newegg.com.  Works much better than the Zen I had that decided to chose the lifestyle of the expensive paperweight.  I found this thread while trying to get the update to install, for some reason the Sansa Updater and my computer were not playing well together.  Thanks to the instructions here for manual installation, I got the update installed, and now I get another just a few days later!

 

Bob ^,,^

 

SanDisk User
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎03-11-2009

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update


@Bobqat wrote:

@Reviewboy wrote:

@saxmaster765 wrote:

@Reviewboy wrote:

This thread is starting to feel like living in a Simpsons clip.

 

10 print "Bart: Are we there yet?'"

20 print "Homer: 'No.'"

30 goto 10

 

Is that BASIC?
Yep.  And not the fancy vb.net stuff neither - that code worked on a 1977-era TRS-80 with 4K (that's 4096 BYTES) of memory.
 I just totally dated myself.

 


Fine.  Make me register just to totally date myself, as well  X^}

 

The above looks like TRS-80 Level II BASIC.  Remember Level I BASIC?  The entire error reporting system consisted of WHAT? (syntax) and HOW? (logic)  Ah, the good old days... 

 

 

Bob ^,,^

 


Ha!  Actually,  the above would work in Level 1 BASIC, if I recall...though with only 4K to work with, abbrreviations were allowed. (I also forgot that Level 1 BASIC didn't have lowercase).  
10 P. "D'OH!"
20. G. 10 
I must say, the programming book that came with that TRS-80 was one of the best I've ever seen.  My father still speaks of it with fondness, and regret that more books aren't like that. 

 

Moderator
Posts: 497
Registered: ‎01-19-2009

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update

Connect the DIN patch cables and load a fresh cassette to save that program.   Those were the days.

 

Most folks haven't learned that for several years, the IBM PC also had DIN ports for exactly that purpose.

 

µsansa

SanDisk Fanatic
Posts: 214
Registered: ‎06-20-2008

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update


@microsansa wrote:

Connect the DIN patch cables and load a fresh cassette to save that program.   Those were the days.

 

Most folks haven't learned that for several years, the IBM PC also had DIN ports for exactly that purpose.

 

µsansa


 

You haven't lived until you've programmed on a Timex/Sinclair 1000 or run Telengard on a C-64 with a tape drive:  Insert tape, press play....wait 30 minutes and then come back and play. 

 

Ah... the cassette drive.  Natures way of making sure you only play one game for the entire evening.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update

We had games on a cassette drive that I played on a modded Commodore Vic-20.....wow I'm old Remember Jupiter Lander? Smiley Wink
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk User
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎03-11-2009

Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update


@p_opus wrote:
You haven't lived until you've programmed on a Timex/Sinclair 1000 or run Telengard on a C-64 with a tape drive:  Insert tape, press play....wait 30 minutes and then come back and play. 

 

Ah... the cassette drive.  Natures way of making sure you only play one game for the entire evening.


I remember both.
Speaking of firmware upgrade: the TRS-80 level II came in a kit that provided 16Kb (4x RAM!) and a 2x speed improvement in the cassette interface (300 baud!).  We hacked our cassette player - a Realistic, natch - so we could hear the ones and zeroes being read in. You knew your program wouldn't load if it kept right past the silence to the next program.  Rewind, adjust the volume, and try again.  It was often faster to re-enter the program by hand.  The magazines at the time were 90% source code. Many of them stank, so you learned by debugging, then rewriting.
It's not that I MISS those days, but I do have fond memories.