Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.33

tore wrote:
I totally agree that the Fuze is completely useless without the high volume setting. I am a professional sound engineer with over 20 years of experience and has been always very careful of not to hurt my hearing (my ears are my tools!). For those of us who have found out how to come around this problem (with he help of this forum) its OK. But I think San Disk is going to get a lot of dissatisfied customers if they don’t change this. I am using the Koss porta pro with my Fuze. Headphones that is quite easily driven. I measured the SPL (sound pressure level) with a sound level meter with the microphone touching the earpad and maximum level listening to FM radio was between 55-60 dBa listening to speech, and between 60-65 dBa listening to heavily compressed black metal! Measuring flac file i.e… Porcupine Tree (modern compressed rock) resulted in a level between 65-70 dBa. For those of us also listening to dynamic music like jazz and classical its impossible to get any use out of The Fuze! This is like selling a Colt 45 which can only take 22 caliber bullets! I guess we just have to pray that San Disk will keep the high volume setting at least with the “American setting”.

I’m afraid disagree with you about them being easily driven. I have the Koss KSC75 clip-ons, which share the same specs, and they are certainly more  difficult to drive than my other headphones. That has been the case with 5 or 6 different players, not just Sansas. Fortunately, my other players are more powerful than my Fuze was.:wink:

I’ve just installed the new firmware: even no ID3 v2.4 support… it is so difficult to be conformed to newest ID3 standard?

Piviul

Do somebody know that how to downgrade version from 01.02.31??

I used be US but new living Japan, then My fuze loaded

new firmware but new firmware does not have Japanese FM radio band(76.0-85.0mhz)

I want to listen to the radio. plz help!!

Koji

I’m still waiting for more background colors and a way to put your own image in the main menu :slight_smile:

This firmware is much worse than the previous.  It has frozen so many times on me, and and it’s very glitchy.  For example, today, I was listening to a Pink Floyd song, and when I tried to pause it, it wouldn’t.  I hit pause, it paused for a very brief moment, then kept on going.  It’s frozen up on me, and (I’m not sure it’s because of the firmware or not) but around 1:00 after just turning it on and back off (I had no earphones), it was a little less than half full, but around three (and I have not touched it since then), it was completely dead.  It turned on, but the battery level was at absolutely nothing but a sliver about, oh, a pixel wide, of red.  Does this happen to anyone else?

Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 02-19-2010 03:24 PM

KOJY,

Just do the manual install of the firmware you want to use… Don’t use the updater… Use Explorer, open the Fuze drive up to it’s root directory and drop the extracted Bin file it that directory " by itself not in any other folder" disconnect and let it shut down . Turn on the unit and set it up as you need too… 

I have give the new firmware v01.02.31a a good going over as far as Mpg’s go and like it so well I decided to install the firmware in all of our units…   Good job SanDisk!!  Thank you! George

I have been using the new firmware for awhile now on a V1 Fuze without any issues… I just uploaded Pink Floyd “The Wall”  it played fine except for the normal end of song  glitches because I didn’t edit them.  This CD runs all the music together and the fuze wants to put a pause or space in between the songs, at least it sounds like that to me. But like i said in my last post I use Mpgs at rate of 192  and so far no issues…  Keep me posted as to what you find…As I just today loaded it into my other units!!  George 

@saxmaster765 wrote:
This firmware is much worse than the previous.  It has frozen so many times on me, and and it’s very glitchy.  For example, today, I was listening to a Pink Floyd song, and when I tried to pause it, it wouldn’t.  I hit pause, it paused for a very brief moment, then kept on going.  It’s frozen up on me, and (I’m not sure it’s because of the firmware or not) but around 1:00 after just turning it on and back off (I had no earphones), it was a little less than half full, but around three (and I have not touched it since then), it was completely dead.  It turned on, but the battery level was at absolutely nothing but a sliver about, oh, a pixel wide, of red.  Does this happen to anyone else?
Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 02-19-2010 03:24 PM

Strange.  I’ve had to reset it about 5 or 6 times, which is about 5 or six times more than I’ve ever had to do (not including the stupid video glitch of the .26 firmware).

saxmaster765 wrote:
Strange.  I’ve had to reset it about 5 or 6 times, which is about 5 or six times more than I’ve ever had to do (not including the stupid video glitch of the .26 firmware).

I always thought the .26 firmware was rock solid…of course, I never wasted my time watching video on the Fuze’s itty-bitty 1.9" screen either. Then again, I have 2 players with 2.4" screens and I don’t watch video on them either.:wink:

Yes I liked the v.26 also!  I would drop back to that version if you are having issues and see if your issues go away… I too didn’t use my unit for video…  My sister had a 8 GB Fuze that came with V .11 and she used it for tons of video and it worked great with that version…  V .22 to me just didn’t have the same sound quality it didn’t have the wow factor…  So that’s the only version I would stay away from… But then again it could be just me… I have all V1 units!  George

Hi,

In the future, could you please link to previous ‘firmware update’ threads in the first post?  Doing so would make it much quicker for a person to see the change log accross multiple versions.

Thank you.

Gregory

A modest proposal on database refresh:

Create a  Settings > System Settings > Database submenu, with the options:

• Database Refresh, with values Auto/Manual (default auto, of course)
  • Refresh Now

If it’s possible, there would be +5 cool points to the developers if we could choose to refresh just internal memory or just external if microSD card is inserted.

Even better, the ability to disable refreshing of the microSD card at any time, not just when it’s inserted.

That way, if I decide to change the tag “Motley Crue” to “Mötley Crüe” on a song in internal memory, I can avoid the immensely long wait while the Fuze, for God knows what reason, decides to read the entire microSD card as well.

:wink:

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 03-03-2010 09:10 AM

saxmaster765,

Have you tried downgrading you firmware back to v01.02.26 and see it that fixes your issues… If it was me I would  use the format command in the Fuze’s menu then reload your music. Maybe the Fat table got messed up… I had this issue with a TomTom GPS that was driving me nuts…  George

@marvin_martian wrote:

@saxmaster765 wrote:

I always thought the .26 firmware was rock solid…of course, I never wasted my time watching video on the Fuze’s itty-bitty 1.9" screen either. Then again, I have 2 players with 2.4" screens and I don’t watch video on them either.:wink:

Message Edited by George-W on 03-03-2010 11:39 AM

I just had a pretty good idea.  I also doubt it’s logical.  

Would it be possible to have a converter to videos in the player itself?  That would save so much time! 

@george_w wrote:

saxmaster765,

Have you tried downgrading you firmware back to v01.02.26 and see it that fixes your issues?

I was having issues with the .26 and I would not go back to it.  I thought the .26 firmware was the one with the weird video glitch where you turned it off with the video running, and when you turned it on, the video came up in the music screen and the icons in the home menu disappeared.  Whatever that firmware was.

Also, I have not had any problems lately with the latest firmware. 

saxmaster765 wrote:

Would it be possible to have a converter to videos in the player itself?  That would save so much time! 

I think that having the ability to convert a particular format of video requires the ability to interpret that particular format of video.  If the Fuze could do the latter, it could display that format, and there wouldn’t be a need for conversion.

Portable players are limited in the number of formats they can support due to the sheer amount of memory space required to store the code needed to interpret each format.

@promisedplanet wrote:

@saxmaster765 wrote:

I think that having the ability to convert a particular format of video requires the ability to interpret that particular format of video.  If the Fuze could do the latter, it could display that format, and there wouldn’t be a need for conversion.

Portable players are limited in the number of formats they can support due to the sheer amount of memory space required to store the code needed to interpret each format.

Mmm well, no, the actual limiting factors are RAM and CPU power, not storage…

Q: Why not to support more formats?

A: Beause Sandisk puts very limited resources on fuze’s firmware development.

Look at rockbox, and the bunch of formats it supports

Aargh!  I only now discover that after updating from .26 to .31 I can’t skip to a next or previous track any more.  The buttons do work, in the menus, but when I play my audio, they simply don’t function. :(  Please help!

@georgecostanza wrote:

Aargh!  I only now discover that after updating from .26 to .31 I can’t skip to a next or previous track any more.  The buttons do work, in the menus, but when I play my audio, they simply don’t function. :(  Please help!

Perform a soft reset by holding the power button up for 15-20 seconds.  If that doesn’t work, then try reinstalling the firmware.  Something may have gotten corrupted when it was updated.