Sansa Fuze Firmware Update 01.02.31 & 02.03.33

@promisedplanet wrote:

What’s possible is the ability for a player to be aware of what media is being copied to / deleted from it, and immediately refresh its internal database with just that delta, without having to re-read the entire contents of its internal memory and expansion card.

How would that be done? In neither MSC or MTP mode the Fuze is ‘active’ and it doesn’t ‘know’ anything about the data that is being copied to it or deleted from it. It’s basically a dumb storage device. That’s why the Fuze is scanning all its storage each time for all the files that are there, and removes removed files from the database while adding new files to it. 

What would make more sense to me is that the Fuze boots straight to its menu, allowing you to use it normally, but updates the database in the background. Of you course you can’t expect newly added files to immediately show up, and you need a way to deal with selecting files from the database that have been removed already. As long as you would try to play files that had been on the device before, it would still work without the refresh and it can do that refresh in the background where nobody cares too much how long it takes.

(Btw, this updating in the background is how it is done in Rockbox. I have no idea about other firmwares on other players, as I don’t own any other that need a ‘database refresh’).

Message Edited by 7o9 on 01-26-2010 10:51 PM