Re: Sansa Fuze Firmware Update

@yelped wrote:
Yes, just use the Files Menu.

No, it doesn't. He specifically asked if it had "true" folder navigation that doesn't require a database rebuild. It does have folder navigation, but every time the microSDHC card is moved, changed, or looked-at funny, the Fuze requires a "refresh" (rebuilding the database). This flaw makes it disapointing for some, and frankly rather unusable for some situations (considering the long delays when using large cards)

SanDisk Guru

@CharlieSummers wrote:

@yelped wrote:
Yes, just use the Files Menu.

No, it doesn't. He specifically asked if it had "true" folder navigation that doesn't require a database rebuild. It does have folder navigation, but every time the microSDHC card is moved, changed, or looked-at funny, the Fuze requires a "refresh" (rebuilding the database). This flaw makes it disapointing for some, and frankly rather unusable for some situations (considering the long delays when using large cards)

Read the posts again.....dennisqwilson was asking about true folder navigation with Rockbox firmware, not the regular firmware. yelped's answer was talking about Rockbox, not the stock firmware.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Senior User

If there's one feature of the OF that Rockbox doesn't do easily its the ability to play a 'folder': specifically a folder with subfolders (ie: a folder "Beatles" with subfolders of several albums, there's no 'play all' selection at the 'Beatles' folder level like the OF). I know you can do it by creating a playlist, but that's too much effort just to listen to a  few albuims.
SanDisk Guru

@timn wrote:
If there's one feature of the OF that Rockbox doesn't do easily its the ability to play a 'folder': specifically a folder with subfolders (ie: a folder "Beatles" with subfolders of several albums, there's no 'play all' selection at the 'Beatles' folder level like the OF). I know you can do it by creating a playlist, but that's too much effort just to listen to a  few albuims.

You probably have "auto change directory" set to "No".  Set it to yes and it will recursively play folders like you would expect:
http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansae200/rockbox-buildch7.html#x10-1260007.10 

Alternatively you can just hold down select and queue folders if you don't want this to happen automatically.   

SanDisk Senior User

The comment "Alternatively you can just hold down select and queue folders if you don't want this to happen automatically."  confuses me...   there's no 'queue'  do you mean "add to playlist"? I see no way to queue up a directory on a 'long select'  only cut, copy etc  of course I'm no expert on RB
SanDisk Senior User

I've got a couple of questions to the developers of the OS for Sansa Fuze..

I wonder WHY on earth do I need the annoying and time-consuming REFRESHING DATABASE operation if I use ONLY radio and access files using ONLY folder browsing?  :smileysurprised:

SanDisk User

Because they have no idea that you only use folder browsing (and that design may also require a database refresh)
XC Fan

8GB Sansa Fuze
v. 01.02.26
SanDisk Guru

@Etoja wrote:

I wonder WHY on earth do I need the annoying and time-consuming REFRESHING DATABASE operation if I use ONLY radio and access files using ONLY folder browsing?  :smileysurprised:

Because the firmware is designed and written for millions of people using their devices in many, many different ways. They didn't just write it with you in mind, you know.

And your 2nd question? . . .

Smiley Tongue

SanDisk User

@Tapeworm wrote:

@Etoja wrote:

Because the firmware is designed and written for millions of people using their devices in many, many different ways. They didn't just write it with you in mind, you know.

And your 2nd question? . . .

Smiley Tongue

I daresay there are a great many of us who desire navigation by folder, with no reliance on any "database" and its attendant penalties.  At least give us the option to switch.

And I am one of those who would prefer folder navigation even if there would be no database at all in a player. By the way, this was the reason I bought iAudio U5 player which has no database at all with one of firmwares. But Rockbox can make of Fuze a much better player.